All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I tried "Roast Fennel and Baby Carrots," yesterday!
      #201391 - 08/01/05 11:07 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Yesterday, I did a modified version of the "Roast Fennel and Baby Carrots" recipe, posted by Little Minnie, from Gourmet Magazine. IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! I substituted no-chicken stock for the olive oil and used way more salt. Excellent combination: fennel/carrots. Very aromatic. It was like savory candy!!! JUST TOO EASY, too! Yeah for "rabbit food!"

Thanks,
Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I tried "Roast Fennel and Baby Carrots," yesterday! new
      #202266 - 08/03/05 08:38 PM
Wind

It's in the IBS recipe exchange index in the side dish section. It's entitled "Roasted Fennel and Baby Carrots."

(It's so simply yummy that I had it AGAIN, tonight!!! That's 3 nights in less than a one week span. Perfect for when you feel like "rabbit" food! Also great if you're fighting a flu/cold. I substituted organic no-chicken stock for the olive oil in the recipe and skipped the pepper. Very soothing and warming and comforting and gentle on the tummy. Highly aromatic. Positively simple. I just added a little fresh parsley and put a little lavender and thyme in with the fennel bulb and carrots. NO GAS or PAIN or SPASMS or D!!!)

Kate.

#202522 - 08/04/05 02:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I want to come over and have some. I will bring the carrots! DH doesn't eat carrots and cringes at fennel so I don't know if I should make it at home. I have carrots in the garden (the colored ones) and found that a little of my fennel I seeded did come up and I am hoping to have fennel then by the end of summer. I wish DH ate more kinds of vegetables. (that is why I want an English husband -like Jamie Oliver but better looking and a more posh accent. YES!)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#202588 - 08/04/05 05:59 PM
Wind

Considering your carrots--and your dynamism, ANYTIME!!! I agree that Jaime Oliver is a HOT! Honestly, the recipe is so easy to adapt for one and SO CLASSICALLY DELICIOUS and TUMMY SOOTHING. It's really good when you've got a bug, too.
I suspect that the roast fennel would be incredible with asparagus, as well. Ode to roots and stems and bulbs!!!

If you're in the mood for chicken breast, you could easily add that too the meal, or even a lean white fish like Tilapia would be nice. Roast fennel and portabella mushrooms is another safe thought.

You're right, though re: your dh. It's a pity. Some dudes!
Kate.

#202598 - 08/04/05 06:26 PM
Little Minnie

I love roots. I adore rutabagas and would eat them more often if not for DH. Have you ever had celery root? I don't like celery but I am curious about celery root. And Jerusalem artichokes, never had those. And I have seen 2 fat ladies cook broad beans and they raved about them, but I heard they are just lima beans. I think I'll go look it up...

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

fava beans new
      #202599 - 08/04/05 06:31 PM
Little Minnie

Broad beans are fava beans. web page I don't think I would have them with liver and chianti though.

--------------------

#202608 - 08/04/05 06:57 PM
Wind

No, I've never had rutabagas. What are they like? I've never had celeriac, either. I love turnips, though!!! And Jerusalem artichokes are to die for!!! (I love artichokes--it's been too long!) I had broad beans, years ago. There are a lot like limas. (Nothing special) Give me artichokes and I'm in heaven. However, I'm tickled with just plain old carrots. I love the way roast veggies "carmelize" and the simple flavours intensify. I'm not a parsnip fan, though. I like combining sublime and intense flavours, colours, etc. Most roots totally agree with me and are virtually guaranteed to please my "spoiled child."
Maybe I'm in a "Girl with the Pearl Earing" phase. Half the time, I think the best seasonings are hunger and SEA SALT!!!
Kate.

#202646 - 08/04/05 07:44 PM
Little Minnie

I think rutabagas taste like a cross between potatoes and carrots. they are yellowish. My mom always made Boiled Dinner with rutabagas, carrots, potatoes, cabbage and ham and I would take the 3 first veggies and mash them together, put on butter and eat the ham on the side. Never been a fan of cabbage and the feeling is mutual I am sure! I hope I can try jerusalem artichokes sometime. Funny about parsnips, turnips. I like parsnips but not so crazy about turnips- they are my least favorite root at this point.

--------------------

rutabagas are AWESOME!!! def try it! new
      #202659 - 08/04/05 08:15 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

even just cutting up matchsticks of carrots and rutabagas.. steaming them and tying a bunch together with chives is really yummy!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1140

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review