All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
soy milk and soy products
      #198797 - 07/23/05 10:34 AM
tonnie1978

Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: SC & CA

I tried soy milk once and I got extremely sick. Attack city! I had it with my rice cereal. But I was told my linz on this board to try 1/4 cup b/c some times you have to gradually introduce it in your diet.
So, I am going to try that tomorrow..WISH ME LUCK!
But, if I can not tolerate it. Should I try rice milk or almond milk? Is there something I can replace it with?
Also, would it be safe to have things with soy in it and can I cook with soy milk? Or would that all be unsafe?

--------------------
THANKS,
TONYA
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: soy milk and soy products new
      #198811 - 07/23/05 11:32 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Yes, there are substitutes for most soy products. I use rice milk, never soy milk. I cook with rice milk, use it in smoothies, put it on my oatmeal. There is also rice cheese - I tried one kind and didn't really like it, but cheese isn't important to me so I never tried any other kinds. Plus rice ice cream - Rice Dream Carob Almond Chip is very good - and rice sour cream substitute - this I'm not sure about - I tried it once in a new recipe and didn't like it, but I don't know if it was the rice sour cream or the recipe.

As far as I know, there's no real substitute for tofu. (I don't like tofu anyhow, so I don't care.)

There is also almond milk and oat milk - I've never tried either, but if you Search on the Diet Board you'll find some references. And I believe Maria!Maria! has mentioned using almond cheese - I've never tried that either, but again a Search on the Diet Board should turn up some posts.

I honestly don't know if you would be able to tolerate soy in cooking if you can't tolerate it just drinking it. I'd say "maybe" - in stuff like baking the amount of soy milk per serving would probably be pretty low so you might tolerate it, but if you base a dish on tofu you might have trouble.

HTH. Good luck with the great soy experiment.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#198941 - 07/24/05 08:52 AM
LindsayK

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Austin, TX

I initially had problems with soy. I slowly began to incorporate it into my diet more and have felt fine. I started using smaller amounts and can now handle meatless soy products as a large part of my meal.

I'm still careful not to ingest too much soy at once. For instance, if I'm using soy protein powder in my smoothie, I'll use rice milk instead of soy milk to ensure I won't feel sick.

We have a gigantic Whole Foods here so I've been able to experiment with a lot of different soy products. Some of them are great and some taste terrible. There are even a few soy cheeses that I've come to enjoy. In fact, I had a soy cheese pizza last night.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Lins

#198942 - 07/24/05 08:53 AM
tonnie1978

Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: SC & CA

What is the name of the soy products you use that are yummy? I would love to have a pizza

--------------------
THANKS,
TONYA
IBS-A

#198980 - 07/24/05 02:33 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Almond milk is yummy. I used to buy it once in awhile even before IBS. I bought the Diamond brand plain variety. It also comes in vanilla & chocolate, but I've never tried those. I don't think you can cook with almond milk, though.

I use all soy milk now. When I was first starting the diet I would mix half a cup of regular 1% milk with a half cup of soy milk. It did take the ol' system a little while to adjust to the soy, though.

#199039 - 07/25/05 10:13 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I'd say if soy milk doesn't agree with you, forget it. Why bother? Soy milk is suggested as an alternative to dairy milk, but as far as IBS goes, it doesn't have any specific soothing properties or anything like that. What I'm trying to say is that there is no real reason to incorporate soy if you are having trouble with it. I found that soy milk in my cereal made me incredibly gassy. I switched to rice milk. I can eat a little soy ice cream but not too much. Even the Amy's brand veggie burgers, which are high in soy, make me incredibly gassy. I'd just avoid soy if it's not working out for you, and stick to rice since that seems to be okay.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#199292 - 07/25/05 06:54 PM
LindsayK

Let me first say that soy cheese is never something I would actually snack on...it never tastes that good. But, I use two brands on a regular basis to add a little cheese-like texture to meals.

Vegan Gourment is just that, completely vegan with no milk products or proteins. They have a few different varieties, including mozerella. It comes in a block, so you do have to grate it.

On a particularly lazy night, I tried the mozerella VeggieShreds. These do contain milk proteins, which can be a problem for some people. I seem to do oaky with them, but then again I'm never eating that much at once. As for the pizza, I pile it high with my favorite veggies to avoid having to use so much fake cheese. VeggieShreds also makes a parm version that I like to sprinkle on pasta.

--------------------
Lins

#200431 - 07/28/05 11:02 AM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

Heyy wow, I'm from Austin as well! As soon as I read "We have a gigantic Whole Foods here", my eyes shot over to your location b/c I automatically thought "this lady has to be from Austin". And lookey there, you are! Hey neighbor!

Hey pb7--hello to you too! -nt- new
      #200658 - 07/28/05 06:32 PM
LindsayK

--------------------
Lins

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4080

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review