All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hermien’s Perfect Peanut Butter
      #198627 - 07/22/05 01:23 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is from The Body Principal by Victoria Principal. (Yes, that Victoria Principal - I had an Econometrics professor who made watching "Dallas" a course requirement.) Peanut butter is not a big deal for me, so I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds intriguing. And I would like to find a source of portable protein that doesn't need refrigeration. I'd be interested to hear what y'all think of the idea and if it seems safe - or at least safer than plain old peanut butter.

Hermien's Perfect Peanut Butter

Nutritionist Hermien Lee processes her own peanut butter to eliminate virtually all the oil in it. The result is a "candy" you can carry around with you for instant protein, and a spread you can use for breads or for recipes.

First buy old-fashioned peanut butter right in your supermarket. Pour off the oil. Now take a paper towel, place it at the top of the jar, close the lid, and turn the jar upside down. Place the jar on your counter and leave it there for about 15 minutes.

Now look at the jar - the paper towel will be saturated with oil. Remove that paper towel, throw it away, and put another one in. Again turn the jar upside down and wait for the towel to get saturated. Repeat this one more time (that's three times altogether.)

Now open the jar, and with a knife make a funnel in the peanut butter. Roll one paper towel and push it into this funnel. Cover the jar with the lid and put it back on the counter. In about 24 hours, all the leftover oil will have been drawn into this paper towel.

What's left is "peanut candy", actually a hard concentration of peanut butter with absolutely no oil in it, and all the protein you want and need.

For a snack, take a teaspoon of the peanut butter and wrap it in foil. You can carry it around and eat it whenever you feel the need for some energy.

If you want to use it as a peanut butter spread, just add a little water to a teaspoonful, or put a teaspoon of the candy on foil and heat in your toaster oven for 3 minutes.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

So what's the net nutrition info? -nt- new
      #198682 - 07/22/05 04:29 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: So what's the net nutrition info? new
      #198757 - 07/23/05 04:29 AM
Sand

There isn't any available in the recipe. Theoretically, if you remove all the oil, it would be whatever is on the peanut butter label, minus most (all?) of the fat.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Hermien’s Perfect Peanut Butter new
      #198770 - 07/23/05 06:57 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Sand, thanks for sharing this! What a great idea. PB bothers me, but I might have to give this a try sometime.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Hermien’s Perfect Peanut Butter new
      #198823 - 07/23/05 12:16 PM
Sand

Okay, if you try it first, please let me know how it goes and I'll do the same.

--------------------

would Skippy work? new
      #199113 - 07/25/05 12:02 PM
caths

Reged: 07/14/05
Loc: TX and MA

could you do this with regular pb like Skippy brand? or does it have to be natural pb? the recipe mentioned the oil on top and i think only natural pb has that.

--------------------
.:IBS.:.C:...:pain.bloating.gas:.

Re: would Skippy work? new
      #199144 - 07/25/05 12:47 PM
Sand

I don't think Skippy would work. I think the major brands are all emulsified (if that's the word I want) so it would be difficult to separate out the oil. You could try it and see if your paper towel gets oily - if so, you're getting out some of the oil. I have a feeling you'd just end up with a paper towel covered in peanut butter. (I actually think it's pretty funny that she refers to what we now call "natural" peanut butter as "old-fashioned" peanut butter in the recipe.)

--------------------

Re: would Skippy work? new
      #199883 - 07/27/05 09:28 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Yep, you would need to buy "natural" pb - usually it comes in a glass jar rather than a plastic jar, like skippy or JIF. If you go to your health food store, ALL of the pb should be natural.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Skippy has a "natural" PB -- but it specifically (m) new
      #200141 - 07/27/05 04:46 PM
jen1013

says on the jar "no oily mess!" (or something like that) so I took that to mean it wouldn't work for this recipe. Doesn't IBS make us WEIRD? I pushed my cart away, muttering angrily to myself because Skippy Natural wouldn't make an oily mess.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

LOL. Oh, yes, IBS definitely makes us weird - or at least seriously different. -nt- new
      #200257 - 07/28/05 05:16 AM
Sand

--------------------

OK I tried this new
      #202397 - 08/04/05 11:28 AM
e_mcmaster

and you definitely have to drain it more than 3 times and stick a rolled up paper towel in the "funnel" more than once. It does get most of the oil out, but there's still some in mine even though I've done the turning the jar over thing 5x and the rolled up paper towel 2x. I will probably just keep doing it until I finish the jar and will start "de-oiling" a new jar of PB as soon as possible so it'll be ready when I'm done with this one.

I'm not sure whether this is affecting my tummy or not. I've been mixing half and half of this pb with the Peanut Wonder because it makes it smooth and easier to spread, plus it gives it a sweeter taste. Anyway, I'm going to continue to eat it and keep a log of how upset my tummy is the next day. I'll let you all know.

--------------------
Elizabeth

Re: So what's the net nutrition info? -nt- new
      #202401 - 08/04/05 11:33 AM
e_mcmaster

Assuming that you get all the oil out of the jar, 2T is 60 cal, 0g fat, 5g carbs, 2g fiber and 8g protein.

--------------------
Elizabeth

Re: OK I tried this new
      #202402 - 08/04/05 11:33 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

What is Peanut Wonder?

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: OK I tried this new
      #202404 - 08/04/05 11:41 AM
e_mcmaster

You can find it at some HFS. Here's the website: Peanut Wonder. It has 100 cal and 2.5g fat per 2T, but it tastes kinda funky on it's own so I've been mixing it with de-oiled PB and it tastes great - like regular PB should. I'm just worried that I'm not getting all the oil out of the regular PB... I know I've gotten at least 75%, but I'm holding out for the last 25%...

--------------------
Elizabeth

Elizabeth, what brand did you use? new
      #203111 - 08/06/05 07:56 AM
jen1013

I am going to try it this weekend. I bought Smucker's natural and there is like TWO INCHES of oil at the top! Gross! But, I figured maybe that meant it would de-fat easier ... right??? Anyway, we'll see how it goes ...

--------------------
jen

Darn peanut butter! new
      #203177 - 08/06/05 02:57 PM
jen1013

I am still at the paper-towel-at-the-top stage. I think I'm on my sixth one. The first towel actually got sucked down into the peanut butter and I had to scrape it all off. Now I probably have paper towel fibers in my PB. I think after this one I will give up and start on the funnel thing. But I'm not sure if I need to turn it upside-down for the funnel thing? I'm not going to because I think I'll just get the towel sucked in again.

I'm not sure why I'm doing this, 'cause I just tasted the PB, and I forgot that I hate natural PB. I need the sugar and additives!!! Oh well. I'm hoping that if I can get most of the fat out of this I can make some decent low-fat PB cookies. But since this isn't working so well how will I know how much fat I've gotten out??

--------------------
jen

#212250 - 09/10/05 01:04 PM
vanillabean

Reged: 09/09/05
Loc: Mississippi

I want to try this. Is it possible to get all the oil out? and 2Tbs equal 60 cals? and how can i make it spreadable to put on bread or bananas?

I love peanut butter but the fat tears my tummy up! anyone else tryed this?

Elizabeth- do you still make this? and do you always mix it with peanut wonder?

--------------------
~Jennifer~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
wedding date- May 20th, 2006!

#212325 - 09/11/05 04:50 AM
Maritimer

Reged: 09/07/05
Loc: East Coast Canada

Quote:

I want to try this. Is it possible to get all the oil out? and 2Tbs equal 60 cals? and how can i make it spreadable to put on bread or bananas?

I love peanut butter but the fat tears my tummy up! anyone else tryed this?

Elizabeth- do you still make this? and do you always mix it with peanut wonder?

I think in the OP it said to mix it with water to make spreadalbe. Did you try that and didn't like it? Just curious if the PB & water is worth the trouble?

Re: Skippy has a "natural" PB -- but it specifically (m) new
      #212871 - 09/12/05 11:12 PM
Lummi Beader

Reged: 08/25/05
Loc: Bellingham, WA

I do believe that you have hit on something there, Jen??? I believe that we do go crazy, I mean are we not dealing with the intestines and who will ultimately win the day?? I know that I mumble and mutter and argue with myself or if my hubby is around I might just try to talk to him, but normally I feel that I have lost everything and now I can not even find the right foods to eat. Being hungry does weird things to your perceptions.

Regarding the peanut butter issue, has anyone checked out Jif?? I do not know have only been feeling better for the past two weeks after many years of no relief.

Peace and sunshine to all,
Lummibeader

--------------------
Honor the Creator... Seek peace!!!

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10892

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review