All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Casey's Mom's Potato Salad
      #197056 - 07/18/05 11:08 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

5-6 medium baking potatoes
4 eggs
1/2 dill pickle, minced finely
3/4-1 cup lite mayo
1 tbsp HOT water
Salt, pepper, onion powder, celery seed to taste

This is a really basic recipe, but it's the best!

Peel and chop the potatoes, add water, boil until tender. If you eat your potato salad the way people do up here - practically mashed - cook them till they'll fall apart when you lightly press them with a spoon. Drain.

Meanwhile, in another pot, hard-boil the 4 eggs. Rinse immediately with cold water until cool enough to handle. Shell, slice in half, discard the yolks, and chop the whites.

In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, pickle, mayo, and hot water. Mix well. Season to taste and refrigerate till well chilled. Taste again and adjust seasonings, if necessary, just before serving.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks Casey new
      #197116 - 07/19/05 06:53 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Sounds so easy and it's the perfect weather for a cold side dish!

This is just a normal size dill pickle in the jar, right? Not the spear or one of those mongo dills you buy at the deli!

The onion powder is safe for those who can't tolerate regular onions? If I omit the seasonings, would be pretty bland.

Note to self: buy potatoes, pickles, and eggs!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Wow! new
      #197124 - 07/19/05 07:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Potato salad States-side sounds complicated! My recipe involves boiled potatoes, light mayo and chopped chives and that's IT!

Well, it's the same basic theory... new
      #197129 - 07/19/05 07:22 AM
atomic rose

We just like ours with more seasonings, I guess. That recipe's even a simple one... Adam tells me his mom used to put actual chopped celery and onion in hers. Screw that. LOL!! But the pickle is an absolute must... it's SO good.

Re: Thanks Casey new
      #197130 - 07/19/05 07:23 AM
atomic rose

Yes, the onion powder is safe. DO NOT OMIT IT!! The salad will taste pretty darn bland without any onion flavor at all.

And yes, just a normal dill pickle whole - half of it. Don't use spears, you won't get enough pickle!

Merci Beucoup! new
      #197424 - 07/19/05 03:38 PM
Augie

But one more technical question before I venture forward... approximately how many tsp, dashes, etc, of the seasonings?

I will probably omit the salt, and pepper for sure as I don't think they agree with me...and the celery seed is questionable too...Oh well, maybe the salt of the pickle will be enough. I'm a pretty plain gal with my seasonings. Out of fear, not choice!

--------------------
~ Beth

My mom makes great potato salad using... new
      #197426 - 07/19/05 03:40 PM
Augie

chopped onion, whole eggs, mayo (full fat of course), mustad, vinegar I think (maybe not), and paprika. It is heavenly. Or used to be in my case!

--------------------
~ Beth

No, trust me... new
      #197432 - 07/19/05 03:52 PM
atomic rose

You will NEED the salt. Trust me! That's why you taste it for seasonings twice... potatoes practically absorb salt.

As for the onion and celery seed, start with 1/4 tsp each. I usually end up using a lot more than that. And stop worrying so much! The seasonings are fine, they're not going to bother you. Honestly, if you're going to skip the seasonings, you might as well not even make it, because it's going to taste awful.

And you do know that by "pepper" I just mean normal plain ol' black pepper, right? Not bell peppers.

Re: Casey's Mom's Potato Salad new
      #209729 - 08/30/05 08:25 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made this last night and it's really good. I used 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, so a little less than the recipe calls for and the whites of 4 eggs.

I can't just "season to taste" - it's not in me - so I took a look at RachelT's Almond Chicken Salad and used her measurements for the spices. I also beat them into the mayonnaise before adding to the potatoes and eggs:

1/2 cup Hellmann's Reduced Fat mayo
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard

The dry mustard was to add a little zing since I left out the dill pickle. My mother, my aunt, and my grandmother would all come back to haunt me if I put pickle in my potato salad.

My husband loved it just the way it was. I think I could have used a little less mayonnaise - being on Heather's diet has just ruined me for fats. I think I'd also add a squirt of lemon juice to the mayonnaise mixture to jazz it up a little next time.

Thanks, Casey. It was really great to have potato salad again.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: If I may add a "SECRET" ingredient..... new
      #209826 - 08/30/05 02:44 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

My Mom's recipe is very similar to Casey's although it adds one secret ingredient...
1 tbsp white sugar.

Don't know why. Never asked. It's just so damn good.

She uses minced onion instead of the onion powder and doesn't add the pickle or celery seed. It's just basic:
potatoes
mayo
minced onion
celery
cooked egg whites
All to taste.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Casey's Mom's Potato Salad new
      #210024 - 08/31/05 06:59 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Yum! I make a similar one too, but I add chopped sweet pickles, like gherkins, instead of dill.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 439 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11185

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review