All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
No garlic or onions!
      #196298 - 07/15/05 08:06 PM
Darlene54

Reged: 07/15/05
Loc: Ohio,USA

I cannot eat garlic or onions in my food!They have made me sick in the past before i knew i was IBS-C and i am afraid to try them again. I need some recipes that do not need these for flavor. some recipes that are on the bland but good side. Any suggestions

--------------------
Darlene

IBS-C, suffers from pelvic floor dysfunction.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: No garlic or onions! new
      #196328 - 07/16/05 01:05 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Oh there's SO much you can do without garlic or onions! I don't eat them either. Just curious though - how are you with garlic powder and onion powder? Personally I'm ok with them while the real thing doesn't sit well with me. If you ARE ok with them then you can usually just sub them in in most recipes.

However there's lots of other stuff you can use to give flavour to recipes - just take a stroll through your spice aisle at your grocery store Are you ok with chiles? I use chile sauce/paste/powder a lot. There's also about a million herbs - fresh or dried. And so many other spices.

There are some veggies you can use to replace onions too that might be less problematic for you, like leeks or shallots, or chives (raw) for green onions.

Anyway, hope that helps! Life without garlic and onions really ain't so bad

#196403 - 07/16/05 10:42 AM
Darlene54

Reged: 07/15/05
Loc: Ohio,USA

Thanks for answering. I have tried just a pinch of onion powder, but feel safer without any. I can do some chili, not a lot. Basic bland is better for me but I appreciate your response. Thanks again

--------------------
Darlene

IBS-C, suffers from pelvic floor dysfunction.

What's wrong with herbs? new
      #196495 - 07/17/05 04:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You don't need to use spices at all. I use alot of rosemary, oregano, thyme, etc.

#196501 - 07/17/05 04:25 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I second Retrograde. I just eliminate the onions/garlic totally and use her assortment of substitutions and believe me, my life is a whole lot better now. I find I can handle a little shallot or chive, a scant amount of onion powder. Explore the world of herbs/spices/chiles/pastes, etc. If I'm using a recipe, I just eliminate the stuff I hate/or that disagrees with me and substitute/re-adjust. It's like having a dress made or refitted--make it to suit you.

#196652 - 07/18/05 12:03 AM
AndrewL

Reged: 02/20/05

Dear Hearts;
I WOULD COMMIT SUICIDE IF I COULDN'T HAVE GARLIC OR ONIONS.SERIOUSLY.Have you considered how the onions or garlic are prepared?I find that if they're cooked soft-REALLY soft,especially onions,get that really caramel brown color on them-they aren't a big problem unless I'm not stable.Fennel tea on hand afterward ensures no problems.
Life without garlic or onions?!?Someone shoot me.......
Andrew L.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 716 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1819

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review