All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sorbet recipe question
      #195078 - 07/13/05 09:01 AM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Does anyone here make sorbets in the freezer instead of an icecream maker? I dont have one and want to know if I can make the sorbets in the book just in my freezer?
Thanks
Niki
xxx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sorbet recipe question new
      #195155 - 07/13/05 10:53 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I remembered a Martha stewart where she made something without a machine. Turns out it was a granita. That is your answer: find granita recipes. The one she made was some alcohol and looked great. I couldn't find that recipe (and it isn't safe anyway). But here are some tidbits I found searching. You basically freeze the stuff in a metal pan and then use a fork to fluff it up.

http://frenchfood.about.com/od/frenchcuisinebasics/a/sorbet.htm
"The process for a granita is far simpler, just simple sugar and strained fruit juice combined and placed in a deep sided metal pan and chilled for at least 4 hours. Once the mixture is set, the tines of a fork are used to create the effect of shaved ice."

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/bldes97.htm

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#195203 - 07/13/05 11:49 AM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Thanks so much!
Niki
xxx

#195297 - 07/13/05 03:22 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I've made sorbets without an ice cream maker, too! The recipe I used called for the mixture to be placed into a shallow dish, like an 8x8-inch pan, and frozen. Every once in a while you were supposed to mix it up with a fork to make sure it froze evenly. It worked great!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#195356 - 07/13/05 05:36 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

1. Use frozen fruit.
2. Kree's process works like a charm as well; I do this. Also, sticking frozen or half frozen fruit puree in the blender, to "break up the ice."
3. Seriously, though...for this purpose, frozen fruit works better.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 597 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1282

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review