All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Finger Food Ideas - To Take To Out Of Town Reunion Picnic
      #194089 - 07/11/05 08:35 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I JUST found out that we were asked to bring "finger foods"....to the picnic portion of the reunion…… any ideas?? Only needs to feed....20-25 people I THINK.

I have a hair appointment Thursday that will get me home LATE...so baking is out of question I think. We are leaving Friday after work for Shane's 20th class reunion. We are staying at a hotel Friday night that is about 4-1/2 hours from home and then finishing the rest of the 2 hour drive Saturday morning to Shane's Dad's house where we are staying. We will only have about 1-1/2 from the time we arrive to the time we need to leave for the picnic.

I can take a VERY small cooler (we are taking the convertible that does not have much room) to keep any ingredients cold while we travel.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Finger Food Ideas - To Take To Out Of Town Reunion Picnic new
      #194094 - 07/11/05 08:41 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Crackers/pretzels/cut veggies and some sort of safe dip? Here's a thread from a bit ago with some dip ideas: web page

Don't you just love it when people tell you things at the last minute? Good luck and have a good time!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#194110 - 07/11/05 09:06 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't know if this will qualify, but how about Heather's Honey Glazed Snack Mix from EFI? My only caution is that if you haven't made it before, it might not be a good idea - there are some old posts about people burning it in their microwaves. (I make mine in the oven and have never had any trouble with it - I just have to stir frequently while it's in the oven and a couple of times after I take it out to keep from ending up with one congealed mass.)

Alternatively, do you think you could get away with chips and salsa? Maybe if you took a variety of exotic salsas (bought, not made!)?

(This hair appointment kind of sounds like a big deal. Do we get a new picture afterward?)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#194133 - 07/11/05 09:43 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was going to suggest Heathers Honey Glazed snack mix too!!! I've had it and I just love it! Other than that, I'm completely drawing a blank... sorry.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#194137 - 07/11/05 09:46 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Do a search on the Food Network website. I know Rachel Rae did a whole thing on easy picnic food (and all of her stuff is 30 min meals). One thing she did was skewer a bunch of chopped fruit together like a shishkabob, put it in a tupperware, covered it in a citrus marinade, and closed it up. You could easily do the fruit on Thursday night but keep the marinade separate, and then combine the two right before your road trip. Anyway, search Rachel Rae (not positive that's how she spells her name), because her 30 min meals are yummy and quick. Also, that Barefoot Italian lady (I'll attempt her name -- Giada de something?) has done a lot of easy beach picnic things. Good luck!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

I was way off ... new
      #194140 - 07/11/05 09:49 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

It's spelled Rachael Ray, for 30 min meals, and the show I was thinking of was Everyday Italian with Giada De Laurentiis.

--------------------
Amanda

This looks super easy new
      #194147 - 07/11/05 10:06 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

You can use soy parm and just don't tell anyone ...

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Line 2 heavy large baking sheets with aluminum foil. Whisk the oil, oregano, and pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat just until warm. Set aside for 15 minutes. Brush the oil mixture over both sides of the tortillas. Stack the tortillas and cut them into 1/2 to 3/4-inch wide strips. Arrange the strips in a single layer over the baking sheets. Sprinkle the cheese and salt over the strips. Bake until the strips are golden brown and crisp, about 12 minutes.

Do-Ahead Tip: The tortilla strips can be made up to 2 days ahead. Store in airtight containers and keep at room temperature.

RECOMMENDED WINE #1: Coltibuono Chianti Classico "RS" 2001
REGION/ORIGIN: Chianti Classico, Tuscany
GRAPE/VARIETAL: Sangiovese
RECOMMENDED WINE #2: Alois Lageder Pinot Bianco 2003
REGION/ORIGIN: Alto Adige
GRAPE/VARIETAL: Pinot Bianco

web page

--------------------
Amanda

#194183 - 07/11/05 11:10 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Two other thoughts, if it doesn't have to be stuff you can eat:

Drunken melon balls - make melon balls (cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon) or chunks, marinate in white wine or champagne - dry wine, I think, rather than sweet (sometimes I can find melon chunks at the store, so less work). Serve with toothpicks and a little container to discard the used ones. My only caution is that I did this once for a party and marinated them a looooong time and everyone got a little tipsy.

My grocery store sometimes sells party platters of fresh veggies - celery sticks, baby carrots, cauliflowerets, etc., complete with the Ranch dip in the center. You'd probably have to transfer the veggies to plastic bags to get them in the cooler along with the dip.

BTW - have fun. I have this great visual of the two of you, young and gorgeous, driving through spectacular scenery (coast? forests?) with the top down and the breeze blowing through your hair. I think you're wearing one of those chiffon scarves - yup, in pale blue.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#194209 - 07/11/05 11:53 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

You could do some sort of make ahead wraps, with pesto or cream cheese as the base like in the following thread: web page These are easy to make and you can cut them up into little bite size slices. They're pretty colorful and festive, depending on what you put in it.

Umm, other than that, dips are a good idea. Dips served with crackers or melba toast or pita bread (hummus, mmm).

Since you can't bake, maybe you can do a no-bake dessert? Something like rice krispy treats...

Good luck and have fun!

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#194230 - 07/11/05 12:34 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Thanks everyone!! These are great ideas.....

And no I don't have to eat them... I can bring something safe for myself.... heck the lady that is planning everything knows I have tummy issues.... when I RSVP'd the dinner portion, I had to request chicken or turkey breast because they were only serving pork.

I've never met any of these people and since 75% of them still live there (in the country - population 1,827) I'm not sure what types of foods they eat....if the girls are really careful or if they just eat anything....ya know what I mean?? And Shane said, most of the men are gonna be beef and other game eaters.... no vegans at this picnic...LOL

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 382 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5586

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review