All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
tried this, didn't work new
      #231391 - 12/13/05 06:36 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I can't get this to work without a real egg white, Eggbeaters, or meringue powder. It turns out flat and sticky and tastes like indigestion.

I've tried --

what Casey just suggested w/ baking powder/water
water and chocolate syrup
water and applesauce
water

I know this sound silly, but I hate using the egg white -- it's such a bother to crack it and then go scrub my hands. Plus unless I'm doing double chocolate with extra syrup, I can never quite get rid of that "eggy" taste. I never buy Eggbeaters because they're expensive and I rarely use them up within 7 days, making them even more expensive, and meringue powder is way too expensive. I glanced at the powdered egg replacer stuff but it was also really expensive.

Any other ideas?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm really baffled, Jen new
      #231408 - 12/13/05 07:14 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't get an eggy taste. I mean, I usually DO do double chocolate (chocolate cake, chocolate pudding) with extra syrup on top, but even with the other flavors I've tried, I've never tasted the egg. Huh.

I also don't know why the egg substitutes you've mentioned haven't worked for you, when they've worked for other people. Hmm. I have to admit that I don't know enough about microwave baking to make any other suggestions - hopefully someone else can weigh in on this one!

microwaving ... new
      #231418 - 12/13/05 08:13 PM
jen1013

I wonder if it's my microwave. Like, for instance, mine is fully cooked in one minute and fifteen seconds, a full MINUTE before anyone else. I did try reducing the power so that it took 2:20 to cook, but even then it didn't turn out.

Maybe Iowa eggs are exceptionally egg-flavored and that's why I get the eggy taste.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

LOL! new
      #231427 - 12/13/05 10:54 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't know. Do you buy organic eggs? Maybe they're eggier-tasting? Actually, if you buy organic eggs, that could totally be the case - we recently got some organic eggs from a friend who raises her own chickens, and couldn't believe how different they taste from supermarket eggs. I'd stick with the supermarket kind for baking, in general.

This is going to be a really stupid question, but maybe not, because I've grabbed the wrong kind of pudding off the shelf more than once... are you sure you're using instant pudding?

It might be your microwave, but maybe not. Mine is actually fully cooked in a little over a minute, too, and it's always been fine. I know that a low-powered microwave could be a problem, but I don't think that's what you have going on here.

I'll keep thinking. Somewhere, I have an old microwave-cooking cookbook; that might shed some light on the topic, if I can find it.

Re: Chocolate Cake for One new
      #231431 - 12/14/05 03:56 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Casey, I finally made this!

The first time, it was a little over-microed, but the second time, I didn't oil the cup and I put it in for just over a minute and it was DELICIOUS!

I kept burning my mouth because it was so good!

I use 1 1/2 TBSP of applesauce and 2 1/2 of water, and it's just fine. I love it!

egg whites ... new
      #231432 - 12/14/05 04:55 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I haven't tried this recipe yet (afraid of addiction!) but I thought I'd put my two cents in re: your egg conundrom. I've mentioned this product on the board so many times that people probably think I own stock in the company, but have you tried Eggology? www.eggology.com . It's 100% pure, pasteurized egg whites, available in organic and regular. They last in the fridge for MONTHS and they last in the freezer INDEFINITELY. I'm a huge fan. I find they have almost no taste, and because they are pasteurized, you can actually add them right into a smoothie without worrying about any diseases. Anyway, give them a try. You can order them online if your grocery doesn't carry them.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: egg whites ... new
      #231656 - 12/14/05 04:38 PM
jen1013

I've seen you post about them before and have specifically looked for them, but have never found them here. I don't buy anything online unless I absolutely have to. It's against my religion to pay for shipping. My egg white laziness isn't a good enough reason.

--------------------
jen

nope, not organic new
      #231662 - 12/14/05 04:50 PM
jen1013

I buy the cheapest preservative- & hormone-ridden eggs at the grocery store. Ha ha.

Yup, I'm using instant pudding! Duncan Hines cake, Jello instant pudding. I've tried several combos too.

--------------------
jen

Applesauce instead of egg = amazingly tastier!!! new
      #243494 - 02/01/06 06:43 PM
tayjay

Reged: 11/28/05
Loc: Auburn University, Alabama

I have been making this quite often lately to satisfy my chocolate cravings. Tonight I used applesauce instead of the egg white b/c I was out of eggs but was still craving chocolate ridiculously! It was surprisingly yummier! It was so much more moist and chocolately. I couldn't stop eating it right out of the microwave. I think i may have permanently burned my tongue. But it was sooo good. I definately would recommend trying the applesauce if you don't have eggs or are vegan. It just also tastes better...even if you do have eggs. Try it and see what you think....

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Re: Casey! Chocolate Cake for One new
      #243615 - 02/02/06 10:29 AM
mrsbunker

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Minnesota

Casey! Are all of the Duncan Hines cake mixes safe and I didn't think that the pudding mixes were safe don't they contain milk in the powder itself? Good recipe though!! Thanks

--------------------
Judy

Edited by mrsbunker (02/02/06 10:32 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 234 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 298487

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review