All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need some *quick* opinions about dips
      #186638 - 06/16/05 06:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

We're having a party this weekend - nothing like waiting till the last minute to figure out the food, right?

So here's the dilemma: I've seen some dip recipes to try, but I can't get soy sour cream, yogurt or cream cheese here. Not at all. Do you think I can make dip using just fatfree mayo, or will it turn out to be a hideous waste of ingredients if I even try it?

I do want a creamy-type dip, not something like hummus, so don't even go there.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need some *quick* opinions about dips new
      #186645 - 06/16/05 07:35 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

What about mixing some super soft tofu in the blender with some FF mayo and a touch of lemon juice and water (to make it softer) and garlic? Then add seasonings to taste. I often throw a package of onion soup mix in and it makes a tasty onion dip. Voila. Here's a link to one: web page web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Edited by HanSolo (06/16/05 08:22 AM)

Ya know... new
      #186660 - 06/16/05 09:27 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

That's a really great idea!... but I got to thinking about everything else I have to make for this damn party (I'm not necessarily looking forward to it, can't you tell?), and I decided to just buy premade dip and not eat any of it. I haven't eaten dip in a few years now, I'm sure one more bbq without won't kill me. But I *AM* going to try that idea the next time I get a craving for it. I was going to do the onion soup mix thing, too.

Thanks, though!

#186673 - 06/16/05 10:58 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

How about a spinach dip made with mayo?

Artichoke Dip new
      #186722 - 06/16/05 01:24 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Casey, here's a yummy-looking artichoke dip I've been meaning to try that just calls for mayo! I found it on VegWeb a while ago.

Artichoke Dip

Ingredients:
10 ounces of cooked artichoke hearts (can just use a 14 oz can)
1 cup vegan parmesan substitute (or any soy parm--can also use less to make it lower in fat)
1/2 to 2/3 Nayonaise (a vegan mayonnaise substitute--I'd just use LF mayo!)

Directions:
In a cuisinart, blend the artichokes, 1 cup of vegan parmesan and 1/2 to 2/3 cup Nayonaise. Transfer mixture into a baking crock and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. It is done when the top rises above its previous level and browns. Put a spreading knife in the crock and put it on the table with melba crisps. (Or slice your favorite vegan bread into tiny slices and rub with garlic and olive oil, spread on a cookie sheet and put in a 350 oven for about 25 minutes, or until completely dry, but not brown.)

Serves: several
Preparation time: 1 hour

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Ya know... new
      #186725 - 06/16/05 01:25 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Oops, I just noticed that you don't need it anymore... oh well. Lol.

Hans, those ideas looks great! I'll have to keep those in mind, too.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#186770 - 06/16/05 05:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

We're having a party this weekend - nothing like waiting till the last minute to figure out the food, right?

So here's the dilemma: I've seen some dip recipes to try, but I can't get soy sour cream, yogurt or cream cheese here. Not at all. Do you think I can make dip using just fatfree mayo, or will it turn out to be a hideous waste of ingredients if I even try it? I know you changed your mind but I just wanted to say, yes, it would be yucky.

I do want a creamy-type dip, not something like hummus, so don't even go there. That's too bad because I was going to say baba ganoush. It is so awesome when spicy and well seasoned. Everyone loves it and doesn't even ask what is in it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#186775 - 06/16/05 06:02 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Are you adverse to using soy? Do you have access to silken tofu or if you're after a "ricotta" sort of creaminess, a firmer uncheesy sort of creaminess, extra firm or firm tofu? Both can be substituted for either the sour cream or cream cheese. I don't have the exact recipes, but basically it just involves adding lemon juice or cider vinegar to get the taste similar. If you do a quick search, you'll find out the measurements re: the lemon juice/vinegar. Check Mori-Nu
tofu for a few ideas, but there's tons of other sites/info. out there. The ff mayo, though, would probably work.

#186882 - 06/17/05 09:08 AM
NikkiM

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: Albany, NY

I use silken tofu and blend it with a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch for a quick dip

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 311 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5189

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review