All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What's Cooking? - Week of 5/30/05 - RESULTS!
      #182995 - 06/02/05 03:26 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Post your recipe results here!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's Cooking? - Week of 5/30/05 - RESULTS! new
      #183044 - 06/02/05 05:36 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

This week I made Kree's Grilled Chicken Satay. VERY YUMMY!!! Just one thing - they came out too salty. But, the flavor was good, and we loved them, so we'll be making again. Have a few ideas on how to fix the saltiness - any advice? I'm thinking on doing one of the following, but not sure which to do:

• Use low sodium soy sauce.
  • Use less soy sauce.
  • I had about a 1 lb pkg of chicken. It turned out to be 3 breasts, but I'd already mixed up the marinade. I didn't cut it in half. Should I have used half the recipe?
  • I put them in the marinade last night and didn't make them till this evening. Could they have marinated too long?

The last 2 I'm really not sure about though, since none of the other flavors tasted too strong.

Otherwise, the flavor was really good! I ended up using 2 T. of the curry and liked it! I also put just a dash of cayenne in to replace the hot sauce. Was wondering how the mild hot sauce (green Tabasco sauce) would have worked though....

• Oh yum! new
          #183067 - 06/02/05 07:30 PM
    atomic rose

I made the orange marmalade marinade... except that because I'm one of the worst-organized cooks ever, my chicken didn't thaw and so I didn't marinate it - I glazed it while it grilled, and used up ALL of the marinade that way, rather than serving any on the side. It was SO GOOD. Definitely delicious on chicken... this one's a keeper!

I would try... new
          #183068 - 06/02/05 07:34 PM
    atomic rose

low sodium soy sauce or using less of it, just based on the recipe itself, but maybe Kree will have some input on this one since she's made it too. I don't think you marinated it too long.

#183143 - 06/03/05 07:42 AM
    Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
    Loc: Northern NY

Hi Melissa! I'm sorry the chicken turned out too salty for you. I always use light soy sauce, but I didn't even think about mentioning that in the recipe. It wouldn't surprise me if that was the culprit. I also put my chicken in the marinade the night before and used a the whole marinade on half the chicken, so I don't think either of those things did it. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed them nonetheless!

It sounds like we may make a curry lover of you yet.

--------------------
    "Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Lol, Casey new
          #183144 - 06/03/05 07:44 AM
    Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
    Loc: Northern NY

Casey, I'm glad you liked the marinade even if you didn't use it as a marinade.

Now I have to make that one again...

--------------------
    "Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#183236 - 06/03/05 09:35 AM
    LindsayK

Reged: 04/15/05
    Loc: Austin, TX

Funny, I made the same two recipes...Kree's Grilled Chicken Satay and the Orange Marmalade Marinade

We loved both of them. I used SoyNut Butter for the Grilled Chicken marinade and it turned out a little gritty (I'm not used to the SoyNut Butter yet), but the taste was wonderful. My boyfriend, who loves indian-inspired dishes, suggested adding some soy yogurt to the marinade to lighten it up a little. I'll have to try that next time.

Hailing originally from the Midwest, I'm slowly trying to incorporate fish into my diet. I just wasn't raised on it. I used the orange marmalade marinade with salmon and it was awesome! Thanks for both recipes! They're keepers.

--------------------
    Lins

Oh yeah, sticking with the curry theme... new
          #183248 - 06/03/05 09:57 AM
    LindsayK

Reged: 04/15/05
    Loc: Austin, TX

I tried a curry-based veggie dish. I paired this with the Grilled Chiken Satay and also roasted some potatoes for a dose of SF. It was a great meal. I felt like I was at my own little Indian buffet.

I love Indian food, but at restaurants it causes the worst attacks for me. I found this recipe in a cookbook titled 1000 Lowfat Recipes. I mixed all the leftovers together and had a great meal at work the next day.

Curried Cauliflower and Peas

Makes 6 servings

1 tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    1/4 c. chopped onions
    1/2 tsp. curry powder
    2 tsp. ground coriander
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
    3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
    1 cup diced red bell pepper
    1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
    1 cup frozen peas

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Saute the jalapeno and onions until golden. Stir in the dry spices and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the cauliflower and broth. Cover and cook until soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Stir in the bell pepper, ginger, and peas. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

--------------------
    Lins

#183292 - 06/03/05 11:17 AM
    steather

Reged: 01/29/03
    Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Last night I made the Chicken Stuffed Shells and they were a huge hit! I absolutely love the chicken and mushroom filling. I think the Ragu sauce I used to cover it was a bit too sweet for my tastes...I usually like to make my own spaghetti sauce, but I was trying to take the lazy approach. Just not a fan of the super-sweet Ragu...any suggestions for ready-made sauces that are tried and true favorites?

I also made the Norwegian Apple Pie for dessert last night, and OMG, was it GOOD! This is such a winner, and it is SO EASY to make! Yummy!

--------------------
    Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

barilla and bertolli make the best premade sauces. I can't stand sweet ragu either. -nt- new
          #183326 - 06/03/05 01:07 PM
    Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
    Loc: Maryland

--------------------

Ragu sauce and Norwegian pie new
          #183977 - 06/06/05 12:40 PM
    Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
    Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm not sure which Ragu sauce you used - I like their 7-Herb Tomato, but am not crazy about any of the rest of the Ragu sauces.

And I'm so glad you liked the Norwegian Apple Pie.

--------------------
    [Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (06/06/05 12:43 PM)

#183994 - 06/06/05 01:08 PM
    Sand

I made LittleMinnie's Biscuits and Gravy. I didn't like them, but when I realized why, I had to laugh at myself: they're too rich for me. After all these months of pining for biscuits and gravy, I've gotten to the point where they just don't taste right to me. Now if I could just stop pining for wine and Coke, I'd be all set...

However, for anyone who truly is still pining for biscuits and gravy, definitely give these a try. My DH really liked them - he ate his serving and my leftovers and I think he licked the plate when I wasn't looking. I made biscuits using reduced fat Bisquick and rice milk (no dairy) and they turned out great.

--------------------
    [Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#184022 - 06/06/05 02:01 PM
    Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
    Loc: New Jersey

I finally made the Lemon Asparagus pasta! (I will edit for the link kater- too lazy right now )
    It turned out really good, but I think I messed up something, cause there was barely enough sauce to coat it.I still thought it was yummy and my apt smelled lemony for a day! I did an AWESOME job zesting my first lemon, although now I am not sure what to do with the naked lemon, I will probably toss it now that I waited too long... I hate wasting food!
    It made SOOOO much food, too! I didn't need to cook for a week, I ate it once a day. I split it into nine servings, cause four servings was just too large for me.

Definately a keeper! Sooo easy too! bf thought it was ok, better than he thought it would be

--------------------
    -Sheri

Re: Ragu sauce and Norwegian pie new
          #184091 - 06/06/05 05:40 PM
    Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
    Loc: Michigan

I am surprised that so many of you can use Ragu sauce. I don't considered myself extremely sensitive to stuff but Ragu has milk in it and it always bothers me. So I had to switch to Prego.

Ragu 7-Herb and Tomato is dairy free -nt- new
          #184150 - 06/07/05 05:52 AM
    Sand

--------------------

Re: Ragu 7-Herb and Tomato is dairy free -nt- new
          #184186 - 06/07/05 07:21 AM
    Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
    Loc: Michigan

Didn't know that! I will look for it! Thanks!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
    0 registered and 194 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
          You cannot post until you login
          You cannot reply until you login
          HTML is enabled
          UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6983

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review