Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Grandma's Famous Potato Salad
      #182053 - 05/30/05 04:24 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Grandma's Famous Potato Salad
(Makes 4-6 servings)

I adapted this recipe heavily to make it lower in fat, and it still turned out fabulous. The combination of chow chow, mustard, and vinegar gives it a great tangy zip.

3/4 cup plain soy yogurt
2 Tbsp soy sour cream
2 teaspoons mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper (I use less)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/3 cup sweet corn relish or chow chow (I would recommend the chow chow since corn kernals are so hard to digest)
1 teaspoon salt (once again, I used less)
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra light mayonnaise
6 cups potatoes

Cut potatoes into cubes about 1 inch squares. (I made mine smaller due to personal preference)
Boil potatoes until soft, but not mushy!
Let cool, while mixing all ingredients except the mayonnaise.
Blend in mayo last.
Pour mixture over potatoes and lightly toss.
Refrigerate before serving.

Adapted from a recipe by Mille® ™ on Recipezaar

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Grandma's Famous Potato Salad new
      #182084 - 05/30/05 06:54 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Um, what's chow chow? Never heard of it before.

Chow chow new
      #182297 - 05/31/05 03:14 PM
Kree

Sorry, I should have thought to explain! It's an Amish thing, a mixture of pickled vegetables. The brand I buy at a Menonite bulk food store is Jake and Amos. It contains pickled beans, green beans, cauliflower, cucumbers, etc. Obviously it's something to eat with lots of soluble fiber, which is why it's so safe in this recipe. Here's what it looks like:

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Chow chow new
      #182401 - 05/31/05 11:59 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Thanks for posting this Kree..it just gave me an idea..I've been hesitant to use pickle relish, in anything, since everyone I've found had HFCS. But chow-chow doesn't...........so that's what I'll try!!! --now if I could only find a sub for the soy items I'd be ok with this....sigh...guess I'll just stick with mayo for my 'tater salads...
Kandee

--------------------

#182479 - 06/01/05 08:38 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Don't know about the yogurt, but they do have rice sour cream. It's soy and gluten free: http://www.galaxyfoods.com/ourbrands/usa/rice.asp

#182565 - 06/01/05 12:47 PM
Kree

Glad to be of service, Kandee! How strange that they haven't come up with rice yogurt even though they make practically everything else out of rice nowadays. Well, if it makes you feel better, the yogurt isn't the most important part of this recipe. I'm sure if you used all mayo it would still be really yummy. It's definitely the chow chow that makes this one unique.

--------------------

#182581 - 06/01/05 01:06 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Don't know about the yogurt, but they do have rice sour cream. It's soy and gluten free: http://www.galaxyfoods.com/ourbrands/usa/rice.asp

Oh my goodness, they most certainly certainly do! I've only seen the cheese and butter in this brand. I'll see if my HFS owner will order it. Thanks Melissa for looking out for Auntie, as usual. Kandee

--------------------

#182589 - 06/01/05 01:12 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Glad to be of service, Kandee! How strange that they haven't come up with rice yogurt even though they make practically everything else out of rice nowadays. I know, kinda strange isn't it...yogurt is the one thing I miss terribly. (but I make non-dairy kefir so that kinda subs, plus it is FULL of different strains of probiotics). Well, if it makes you feel better, the yogurt isn't the most important part of this recipe. I'm sure if you used all mayo it would still be really yummy. Works for me!! It's definitely the chow chow that makes this one unique. I believe it....I love chow-chow...and I've seen a Vidalia onion relish that I think would be good too! But I have to admit I miss the days of homemade potato salad where I used half full fat mayo and whipped unsweetened whipping cream ..Kandee

--------------------

summer foods new
      #182628 - 06/01/05 02:37 PM
Kree

I hear you, Kandee. It's great when I'm able to make my own potato salad, but what's hard on me is trying to avoid it at barbecues, restaurants, etc. when other people make it and it's chock full of full fat mayo and egg yolks. Same with pasta salad, burgers, hot dogs, and deviled eggs! It stinks that we have to avoid so many summer favorites when we're out and about.

--------------------

Re: summer foods new
      #182722 - 06/01/05 08:04 PM
Kandee

Quote:

I hear you, Kandee. It's great when I'm able to make my own potato salad, but what's hard on me is trying to avoid it at barbecues, restaurants, etc. when other people make it and it's chock full of full fat mayo and egg yolks. Same with pasta salad, burgers, hot dogs, and deviled eggs! It stinks that we have to avoid so many summer favorites when we're out and about.

Amen to all that!!! I so agree, and now that I have to eat gluten/soy free besides safe for IBS it makes it even harder. I have a 3 week trip planned east to visit relatives and I'm already devoting part of my suitcase to safe things. I love to go out to eat but I'm tired of a plain baked potato and nekkid salad and plain unseasoned LF fish. Like you...I'd want REAL salads, ribs, burgers, fries, onion rings, milk shakes....all that...........just once!

What's even more interesting is that so many on these boards have a problem with their parents/older relatives not understanding. Well, I have it the other way around...our grown, adult kids think I'm a real nut case! How's that for a switch? LOL Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5746

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review