All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Alton Brown of "Good Eats" from the Food Network
      #180552 - 05/21/05 11:33 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I thought this may be the best board to post this on….since it a way, it does involve recipes..just not necessarily IBS safe ones..LOL

I just got back from spending a few days in Boulder City, Nevada. If you're not familiar with it, it is a little town that is on the edge of Lake Mead and Boulder Dam, and about a 40 minute drive from Las Vegas. One night my friend and I were scheduled to go into Vegas to see Barry Manilow perform..her choice. We had time to kill and since we'd never ridden the new monorail that runs along the "strip" we decided to do that for the fun of it. We got on and by the second stop on walks 2 guys. I took a look and said to myself about one of them, "I know him", then I heard the voice and I knew exactly who it was. I whispered to my friend "OMG, do you realize WHO that is?" she said "no, who?" so I said, "you know, the guy that does the food network TV show, Good Eats...Alton, Alton Brown"....she said "oh, I still don't know who you mean..I never watch that network" and went on talking to some girls about what to do in Vegas..(sigh) I was so jazzed and wanted so badly to ask for his autograph and ask if I could take a picture with him..but was respectful and just listened to all they had to say talking shop..(since I was only about a foot away from him and could hear everything).. I will say he is dorky looking on TV but NOT in real life..much thinner in person, younger looking too..had a black baseball hat on, cool skinny sun-glasses (which make me think the glasses he uses on the show are a fake and just to make him look intelligent)... the Don Johnson unshaven look ….a pink/tan/white stripped shirt, not tucked in, bell jeans with black sneakers, and a backpack (that he just threw on the floor of the car)…....Anyway, I couldn't get over why, when the monorail car was loaded with people, especially women, that no one but me recognized him, even though he was somewhat incognito. I decided if we got off the monorail first I JUST HAD to say some thing....so I did......so when I stood up, I said, "Alton, LOVE your show, and I have your books" and then shook hands with him...he smiled from ear to ear...(I could have hugged him too, but felt that was pushing it..LOL)
So, that just thoroughly made my trip although I still wish I'd had a camera cell phone so I could have snapped a picture for you all.

Now, doesn't that make you want to join us in Las Vegas for the Fall Sprawl in Oct? You just never know who you might bump into! I, for one, can't wait to get back and ride the monorail again!!! Kandee

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Alton Brown of "Good Eats" from the Food Network new
      #180603 - 05/22/05 09:14 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I LOVE Alton Brown!

You are SO lucky to have seen him...

Heh, I would have totally invaded his personal space I would have asked for a picture and an autograph!

Lucky duck! new
      #180605 - 05/22/05 09:29 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Kandee, you are sooooo lucky! You are very good at restraining yourself! I may have done something silly like jump in his lap or something! LOL. And I can't believe no one else recognized him! I guess not everyone is addicted to the food network....

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Lucky Duck! new
      #180620 - 05/22/05 10:08 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

he's based out of atlanata and I keep expecting to run into him when there with my folks (they live there and shop at many of the stores he mentions on the show) but it hasn't happened yet... I love his show though...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Lucky duck! new
      #180625 - 05/22/05 10:20 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Kandee, you are sooooo lucky! Oh I know Steather..nice to see you my old ASU friend..life in NC is good? yes? You are very good at restraining yourself! I may have done something silly like jump in his lap or something! LOL. LMBO..someone young and pretty like you (love your new picture) he'd jump at the chance to have happen, but someone his mom's age...ahh, I don't think so. Funny thing is..I just froze at first and couldn't think of his name..all I could think of was Good Eats, Good Eats, Good Eats. What I couldn't get over is how much better looking he was in person (maybe it was the cap that covered his funny hair) AND that he was much thinner in person, unless he's recently lost weight, but then you know how they say a TV camera makes you look heavier. He's not tall, we were about eye to eye, so he was I'd guess only about 5'8". And I can't believe no one else recognized him! That still dumbfounds me....and another thing I wondered about was why he took the monorail instead of a taxi or limo..but then if you know Vegas, the monorail is by far the fastest way to get around, so I think we may see more and more stars riding it. I guess not everyone is addicted to the food network.... Ahh, so true..but then I'll often watch his show only for all the other scientific explanations on it..(a little secret..I made his pulled pork and it was awesome...the rub recipe alone is amazing)...Kandee

--------------------

Re: Lucky Duck! new
      #180629 - 05/22/05 10:26 AM
Kandee

Quote:

he's based out of atlanata and I keep expecting to run into him when there with my folks (they live there and shop at many of the stores he mentions on the show) but it hasn't happened yet... I love his show though...
I think he's based there because his folks may live there too....he is from GA originally but said he was raised in CA...and that his folks got a little sidetracked when they moved to CA-----If you bump into him Amie, tell him I said hi....LMBO..oh yes, and that I never COULD find all the parts to that clay pot smoker he made on one of his shows..so if he'd send me the parts I would gladly appreciate it...LOL....Kandee

--------------------

Re: Alton Brown new
      #180630 - 05/22/05 10:35 AM
Kandee

Quote:

I LOVE Alton Brown! Me too Isabel..even more so now...

You are SO lucky to have seen him... Yep, I thought so too, but funny place to bump into a celebrity huh?

Heh, I would have totally invaded his personal space I was invading, believe me, about as much of it as I could get..LOL I would have asked for a picture and an autograph! Oh my, I was soooooooo tempted ....but it was almost as fun listening to him talk to his (I think maybe) agent..about Iron Chef America, and getting his "stuff" into the major departments stores, and how Food Network shows can stay alive, etc. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Lucky duck! new
      #180739 - 05/23/05 08:05 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Quote:

Kandee, you are sooooo lucky! Oh I know Steather..nice to see you my old ASU friend..life in NC is good? yes? Hi Kandee! Well, life in NC is different to say the least. I'm actually taking a year off next year, so I'll be back in AZ during that time. (IBS get-together here I come!) You are very good at restraining yourself! I may have done something silly like jump in his lap or something! LOL. LMBO..someone young and pretty like you (love your new picture...Thanks! It was actually from a family photo over Christmas.) he'd jump at the chance to have happen, but someone his mom's age...ahh, I don't think so. Funny thing is..I just froze at first and couldn't think of his name..all I could think of was Good Eats, Good Eats, Good Eats. Aaah, I don't watch Good Eats as much as Iron Chef... In fact you might call me an Iron Chef addict Of course, I'd probably recognize Alton's voice more than his looks, since he's more of an announcer on that show... What I couldn't get over is how much better looking he was in person (maybe it was the cap that covered his funny hair) AND that he was much thinner in person, unless he's recently lost weight, but then you know how they say a TV camera makes you look heavier. He's not tall, we were about eye to eye, so he was I'd guess only about 5'8". And I can't believe no one else recognized him! That still dumbfounds me....and another thing I wondered about was why he took the monorail instead of a taxi or limo..but then if you know Vegas, the monorail is by far the fastest way to get around, so I think we may see more and more stars riding it. I guess not everyone is addicted to the food network.... Ahh, so true..but then I'll often watch his show only for all the other scientific explanations on it..(a little secret..I made his pulled pork and it was awesome...the rub recipe alone is amazing) Pulled pork! I've had to use every measure of contraint known to humanity to not eat that stuff since I've been here. I do sneak a teensy tiny bite every now and then....that stuff is gooooood. But not nearly as destructive as the chicken or turkey I usually have to settle for!

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#180942 - 05/24/05 11:14 AM
Orea

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Northern Virginia

I just got here and what do I see but a brush with Alton Brown. I love Alton Brown! He may be a bit of a geek but I love geeks. Even my non cooking husband (a geek, too) likes to watch his shows.

Like you, I would have eavesdropped shamelessly. And said hello, etc. on the way out as you did. But I might have been tempted to add that his plastic adjustable measuring cups that I got for Christmas absolutely REEK. I just gave them away to charity, they wre so irritating. His kosher salt container is great, though.

My closest brush to fame came a few years ago when we were on a NW flight with the Big Bad Voodoo Daddies. I spoke to one of them to tell him where there was available overhead storage for his hatbox. He thanked me. I replied, "Glad to help an artist," so he would know I knew who he was.

See you in October Steather!!! new
      #181043 - 05/24/05 10:38 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Quote:

Kandee, you are sooooo lucky! Oh I know Steather..nice to see you my old ASU friend..life in NC is good? yes? Hi Kandee! Well, life in NC is different to say the least. I'm actually taking a year off next year, so I'll be back in AZ during that time. (IBS get-together here I come!)

I'm excited about you coming...it is going to be GREAT this year!!!

You are very good at restraining yourself! I may have done something silly like jump in his lap or something! LOL. LMBO..someone young and pretty like you (love your new picture...Thanks! It was actually from a family photo over Christmas.) he'd jump at the chance to have happen, but someone his mom's age...ahh, I don't think so. Funny thing is..I just froze at first and couldn't think of his name..all I could think of was Good Eats, Good Eats, Good Eats. Aaah, I don't watch Good Eats as much as Iron Chef... In fact you might call me an Iron Chef addict Of course, I'd probably recognize Alton's voice more than his looks, since he's more of an announcer on that show... What I couldn't get over is how much better looking he was in person (maybe it was the cap that covered his funny hair) AND that he was much thinner in person, unless he's recently lost weight, but then you know how they say a TV camera makes you look heavier. He's not tall, we were about eye to eye, so he was I'd guess only about 5'8". And I can't believe no one else recognized him! That still dumbfounds me....and another thing I wondered about was why he took the monorail instead of a taxi or limo..but then if you know Vegas, the monorail is by far the fastest way to get around, so I think we may see more and more stars riding it. I guess not everyone is addicted to the food network.... Ahh, so true..but then I'll often watch his show only for all the other scientific explanations on it..(a little secret..I made his pulled pork and it was awesome...the rub recipe alone is amazing) Pulled pork! I've had to use every measure of contraint known to humanity to not eat that stuff since I've been here. I do sneak a teensy tiny bite every now and then....that stuff is gooooood. And you are in the land of awesome pulled pork........!!! It would be a disaster for me if I live there...I'd have attacks all the time..LOL...!!! But not nearly as destructive as the chicken or turkey I usually have to settle for!

--------------------

LOL new
      #181160 - 05/25/05 11:57 AM
Kandee

Quote:

I just got here and what do I see but a brush with Alton Brown. I love Alton Brown! He may be a bit of a geek but I love geeks. Even my non cooking husband (a geek, too) likes to watch his shows.

Like you, I would have eavesdropped shamelessly. And said hello, etc. on the way out as you did. But I might have been tempted to add that his plastic adjustable measuring cups that I got for Christmas absolutely REEK. LMBO..ok, I'll tell him next time I see him (yeah sure). I just gave them away to charity, they wre so irritating. His kosher salt container is great, though. What's that? Wanna send a link? I just use those shakers like you put Parmesan cheese in for my kosher salt..never got the hang of a pinch dropping out of the air above.

My closest brush to fame came a few years ago when we were on a NW flight with the Big Bad Voodoo Daddies. I spoke to one of them to tell him where there was available overhead storage for his hatbox. He thanked me. I replied, "Glad to help an artist," so he would know I knew who he was. Cute....Kandee

--------------------

#181800 - 05/28/05 05:51 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Ooo... I just saw this Kandee. I have the BIGGEST crush on him. We love him at our house. My dad has actually worked with him, Alton works with GE occasionally and my dad is in charge of their PR. Dad says he's a nice guy.

#182676 - 06/01/05 04:53 PM
jea97

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: Lindenwold, NJ USA

That is sooo cool. The funny thing is I just finished watching the show(Good Eats), then came back to the computer and decided to check out the recipe exchange and there was your post. The first time I saw the show I thought it and Alton were too weird, but since then I actually enjoy it. I love learning anything new about cooking.

You're so lucky!

A crush?? new
      #182720 - 06/01/05 07:51 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Ooo... I just saw this Kandee. I have the BIGGEST crush on him. To Cute!!! I know, I know--there is just something about men that have a passion for something in life (other then themselves) that make them more attractive...and even more so if they COOK! We love him at our house. My dad has actually worked with him, Alton works with GE occasionally and my dad is in charge of their PR. Dad says he's a nice guy. He certainly seemed so, and I got the feeling I could have interrupted long before I did and we could have had quite a nice chat.

Guess this means you HAVE to come to the Fall Sprawl this year...you just never know who you might bump into on the monorail. I think because it is so much faster and easier than the cabs and limos that a lot of stars may just decide to hop them to get around. Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 310 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6196

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review