All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Zesting question
      #179289 - 05/16/05 09:12 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

How DO you get the zest from a lemon?I am guessing that you have to grate the peel somehow? I remember a post about making sure that you don't wind up with the pith (white stuff)... ? can someone explain this process to me? My cooking has yet to get that complicated, but alot of heather's recipes call for zest of something or an another.

Thanks !

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zesting question new
      #179293 - 05/16/05 09:16 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but I have one of these handy dandy Zesters I think I got mine for like $3.00 at Safeway...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Ah., thanks Shell! new
      #179294 - 05/16/05 09:20 AM
Sheri01

Will have to look for one

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Ah., thanks Shell! new
      #179305 - 05/16/05 09:57 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Yeah, they are great to have around. I had a hard time finding one, but finally did at Bed Bath and Beyond for about $6. I make alot of recipes that call for zest.....and you are right about the pith. Just try to get the skin....suprisingly tasty!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Quick and dirty suggestions new
      #179334 - 05/16/05 11:39 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The zesting tool looks cool - I've got to look for one. In the meantime, I just use the finest part of my grater - the same thing I use to grate carrots, for example. You get "grates" rather than strips, but that seems to do okay in the recipes.

Also (don't tell anyone I suggested this), you can buy dried lemon peel and dried orange peel in the spice rack at your grocery store - I'm not sure about dried lime peel. It super easy - obviously - and you could use the dried until you get hold of your zester. According to my big, fat cookbook:

1 lemon yields 2 teaspoons shredded peel
1 lime yields 1-1/2 teaspoons shredded peel
1 orange yields 4 teaspoons shredded peel

The dried peel might not be as flavorful as the fresh, so you could try upping the amount a little.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Wow! thanks-nt- new
      #179337 - 05/16/05 11:41 AM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

the zester and grater new
      #179384 - 05/16/05 01:59 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

work good (with the zester you still have to mince it though) but the best tool I have found is a microplane. like this They are most convenient and also good for grating fresh nutmeg and chocolate (which of course I don't do ).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Cool. (m) new
      #179391 - 05/16/05 02:23 PM
Sand

I saw Lydia (Italian Table) use one of those for hard cheese (sigh). They look so super-professional.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Cool. (m) new
      #179433 - 05/16/05 05:24 PM
Little Minnie

Yes Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson use them and that is where I saw it first. It is pretty much a small version of what farriers use on horses' feet! I do really love mine a lot.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

mincing! new
      #179517 - 05/17/05 06:03 AM
Sheri01

That is another thing I do not know how to do ... I think that requires a tool, also? The only recipes that I have used that required something to be minced was for garlic, and I ust sub in some garlic powder instead, cause strong garlic does NOT like me

So much to learn! One day I will be a master chef... I already have BF calling me up at work, "So, when ya gonna be making those veggie sloppy joes again?"
Me, "You hungry? I have some leftover still."
BF, "OOooohhhhh!"

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: Cool. (m) new
      #179524 - 05/17/05 06:18 AM
Sand

Quote:

It is pretty much a small version of what farriers use on horses' feet!

That will certainly be an interesting visual every time I grate lemon rind from now on.

--------------------

Re: mincing! new
      #179617 - 05/17/05 02:52 PM
Little Minnie

Mincing just means chopping real fine. You can do it with a knife and it just takes a while. If you get a little cheap board and ulu knife- I have one that was less than $10 and is plastic- it goes really fast. It is great for herbs and garlic. Mincing garlic is helped by putting a pinch of coarse salt on the clove and chopping and then mashing it with the knife side. It makes paste pretty quickly. But Alton Brown from the food channel brought out how actually the smaller the piece of garlic the more potent it is. Leaving cloves whole for roasting a chicken or something like that is the least potent. Minced is more powerful. I hope this makes sense.

--------------------

Thanks! -nt- new
      #179755 - 05/18/05 06:13 AM
Sheri01

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 270 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7104

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review