All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A vegetarian, a diabetic, and an IBSer walk into a bar...
      #179079 - 05/15/05 08:04 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Menu Challenge

Next month, I will have the following houseguests at dinner, breakfast, and lunch:
1 Diabetic
1 Vegetarian
1 Diverticulette
1 IBSer (me!)
2 regular people

It's really the breakfasts and the desserts that I'm struggling with as they usually tend to contain lots of sugar. Vegetarian is easy, but combined with diverticulitis? Harder. I think I'm going to be doing nothing but cooking while they're here.

I was thinking of Heather's Garden Veggie Lo-Mein without zucchini (seeds) for dinner one night, but is there such a thing as a diabetic dessert?

What do diabetics eat for breakfast?

ANY ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Love you guys.

sperry_twiggins

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A vegetarian, a diabetic, and an IBSer walk into a bar... new
      #179098 - 05/15/05 09:35 AM
descartesmum

Reged: 08/13/03
Loc: England

Sperry, poor you. I happen to be a diabetic with ibs.
I think that the best thing you can do is to actually ask the diabetic what they normally eat. Failing that a cheese omelet would be okay. Some diabetics can eat oatmeal (I'm one that can't). As with ibs it varies so much with the individualwith what they can and can't eat. The diabetic diet fights with the ibs one. I don't know if I've been of any help. You can check with the Anmerican diabetes group at http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp Good luck! Carol

--------------------
A journey of a thousand miles must start with a single step.

#179125 - 05/15/05 12:51 PM
sperry_twiggins

Thank you SO MUCH for the link. I tried doing a google search for something like that and all I got was garbage. That will help a lot. Best wishes to you - you've got a double whammy with diabetes and IBS.

sperry_twiggins

#179128 - 05/15/05 01:02 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Heheh I LOVE subject line of your post! lol Quite a challenge indeed!

Here's what I can come up with... (Disclaimer: I'm no expert on diets for diabetes or diverticulitis so if anything is really off here just say so! )

Egg white omlettes (or scrambled, or fritattas, or whatever) would probably be a good choice for breakfasts (provided your vegetarian isn't a vegan). Or sugar-free, IBS safe breakfast cereal with soy milk (or regular milk for those who can have it) and some fresh fruit maybe. Or oatmeal would definitely be another option, provided all can handle it (some IBSers can't, and I guess some people with diabetes can't either).

For dinners, you could probably do a lot of good things with tofu, which I think would be good for everyone, right? Maybe basmati rice with cooked spinach or other cooked veggies and tofu? Or something like that...?

Soups and sandwiches of some kind would probably work too. And it would be fairly easy to make sandwiches to fit everyone's needs/tastes for lunches.

For desserts - what about homemade sorbets? You could make them with fresh fruit so you wouldn't have to add much sugar (if any). I know people with diabetes have to watch their fruit intake too so you might ask your guest if that would be ok. And it would be vegetarian, IBS safe and as far as I know ok for diverticulitis (maybe don't use strawberries or rasberries, because of the seeds?)

Other ideas for dessert: rice pudding made with soy milk and splenda, smoothies, baked apples or pears topped with a bit of cooked oatmeal or other cereal and some splenda... there are some good recipes for diabetes here, including desserts

HTH!

#179167 - 05/15/05 03:54 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

there is so much variety within those symptoms.. moms solution when she had the crew last Jan was to send an email in advance and ask people what things they could and could not eat (dietary specifics) and what things they liked.. and then use it to help form a basis for things.... we also had 10 people, not 6, so having 2 entrees that played off each other worked well.... we had one meal with a turkey, morrocan sweet potatoes and fish (there was a fish eating but not other flesh eating person there)... all 3 can count as main dishes.. of course she had the added trick of doing it all in a kosher kitchen.. but she did it!

she had me- IBS and hypoglycemic
my uncle the vegetarian diabetic
my grandmother with diverticulosis
and several picky eaters as well...

but it all worked out... an easy way to do breakfast for everyone- have bread and cheese and eggs and do an omellete bar, those who don't want eggs can do toast with butter/cheese... and everyone else can have their eggs made to order.. and if you have a good assistant out of that crew of guests- have them chopping ingredients and prepping things. That way your eggs can be one way and everyone elses can be another...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Thanks, Y'all new
      #179196 - 05/15/05 07:52 PM
sperry_twiggins

Great ideas all of you! I like the omelette bar idea for breakfast (my husband can help with that).

I really appreciate your help.

sperry_twiggins

LOL new
      #180383 - 05/20/05 12:55 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I love the subject line.... I just HAD to look...thought is was gonna be a joke... I love the omelette bar idea as well...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3657

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review