All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Tomato-free chili or pizza?
      #175587 - 05/01/05 08:05 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hey all

I'm looking for chile and pizza recipes that don't call for tomatoes. For the pizza I'm thinking maybe a green sauce (like spinach) with some safe veggies and no cheese (or soy cheese). Not sure if such a thing would work in a chili though...

Any thoughts? Is this just wishful thinking? Thanks so much!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm looking for the same! Anyone? Bueller? new
      #175611 - 05/02/05 05:23 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Re: Tomato-free chili or pizza? new
      #175726 - 05/02/05 09:52 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I don't have a green sauce, but when I make pizza I puree some roasted red peppers and use that as the sauce. DELICIOUS. I usually top it with chicken and black olives. No cheese. It's absolutely delicious!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#175843 - 05/02/05 02:09 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I don't have any precise recipes, but the green sauce rocks. I've used and done it before with various variations. Adding fresh herbs makes a big difference. I find, though, that the green sauce for chillies works best with navy beans/white beans. Lentils (green) and peas are another good option I've used. I'm avoiding soy, personally, at the moment. Pureed and in small quantities they're generally quite safe and delicious. Mushrooms, if you can tolerate them at a nice robustness to the dishes, or in accompaniment. The greens in your "spicy green rice" recipe are a good base. Zucchini is one of my favourite fillers...it takes the edge off the greens/sweetens the sauce. The trick is not to begin with too much water. This sounds gross, but green bean/baby spinach/herbs puree is good for a green sauce and also asparagus/spinach/herbs puree is another good one. I might add a little celery to it. It turns into a really funky and flavourful paste after its been in the blender. Artichoke is another good "filler" in the mix. Personally, I like a little sea veg. in the sauce, too (i.e. spirulina, kelp, dulse, nori). Sometimes this paste/sauce is good for stuffing things. Great pita dip/spread...my Mum's even used it as a fish sauce/pasta sauce. But seriously, if adding legumes...a little white bean/navy bean is the best or peas--green, not split--/lentils (green). Fresh lemon adds a nice twist/acidity that is still alkaline.

#175848 - 05/02/05 02:16 PM
Wind

I forgot one other suggestion, that I love--"orange" sauces!!!
This is basically just using squash as a base, and or carrots (really good with a little cinnamon or nutmeg and even fennel). Also re: green sauces: if you're not adverse to a little dijon, it adds a nice bite. Horseradish too. Sometimes a little miso (yes, I know it's soy), i.e. a tsp. or 2 adds a nice dimension. I've done red sauce with beets, but well...I guess you have to like beets--I think they're disgusting personally.

#175850 - 05/02/05 02:18 PM
Wind

Peeled a roasted peppers are another great suggestion! I've done this too...yellow pepper, zucchini, herbs...and just because I'm me, 2tsp. spirulina.

#175852 - 05/02/05 02:24 PM
Wind

Sorry--I just thought of another one that I've done before...a cucumber sauce. Steam herbed english cucumbers in a little broth with sea salt...add any veg. that you feel like...if you feel like it...DILL is fabulous in this sauce and then stick it in the food processor. I used this one at lunch and it was really good and sat well...but warning: it makes you PEE!!! like crazy!

if you like asian things new
      #175856 - 05/02/05 02:31 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I take Pillsbury pizza crust and top it with hoisin sauce, mushrooms (sauteed), cooked chicken chunks, spinach and scallions and some coarse salt and garlic if you like it. I really like this pizza.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#175927 - 05/02/05 04:56 PM
Wind

Do you like mushrooms? Sometimes I make a "brown sauce" using mushrooms. A lot of vegan pate recipes are 'shroom based. I just play with the ingredients I don't want, i.e. eliminate the nuts/seeds, or substitute sprouted sunflower seeds or other legumes occaisonally in place of any soy products. Just cook the mushrooms--roasting brings out the flavour, if you have time--and puree with any other ingredients you care to add. Different mushrooms and mixing mushrooms adds depth and dimension. Occaisionally, I'll add a little gf bread crumbs. Adding spinach, or for a little pepper bite, arugula gives it panache, if you can tolerate such things...and herbs of cource. You're so creative, Retrograde, and you seem to know your nutritional needs so well that I'm just giving you some basic ideas. I'm one of those inspirational, hope it doesn't kill me or anyone else cooks. When I do add a little bean for body, I stick to 1/4 cup servings, max. However, I eat mega times daily.

Another thought for a sauce base/pizza spread...a variation of baba ganush. This is really especially good with japanese eggplants versus the traditional kind. I omit the tahina--personal trigger and maybe add a little broth and mega herbs, lemon, etc. Sometimes some cooked greens. I find arugua works better with the eggplant.

There are infinite hummus variations. I've even substituted a little cauliflower, to make it less "beany" and omitted the tahina altogether. Roasted and peeled peppers really spunk this up. White beans mix well with arugula incidentally, and peas to. It's great if you have a fennel bulb in the fridge to work with. Ode to my food processor.

I bet adding hemp protein powder (plain) would give things a real kick. Lately, I've been adding spirulina, though--for a little protein and b12. Me and my chollera kick!!!

WOW! THANK YOU Wind!! new
      #175988 - 05/02/05 07:58 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! I've been getting into this pureed veggies thing so much lately (mostly inspired from your posts) and it's been so great because I've been eating soooo many more vegetables than I was before. Just by pureeing them (and eating them with SF) I have no problems with veggies that would have killed me before!

Honestly, I had no idea that you could make tomato sauce type sauces with so many other veggies. Which I guess is pretty stupid since it's seems so obvious! lol Peppers are a no-go with me and I'm not a big fan of mushrooms, but I'm *definitely* going to try out some of your other ideas here!

Hehe, it suddenly seems like the options are endless! I miss all those crazy veggies so much and have pretty much been sticking to cooked carrots and beets (yes, a personal favourite) as well as zucchini, but suddenly all those other fun veggies at the market are available to play with! lol

Anyway, again thanks so much! Ode to my food processor indeed!!! Take care!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 530 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10076

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review