All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: if you like asian things new
      #175989 - 05/02/05 08:00 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Thanks for the suggestion Minnie it sounds great!

But ok stupid question... what's a hoisin sauce?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

MCV new
      #175991 - 05/02/05 08:01 PM
retrograde

I usually have problems with peppers but they might be ok pureed - I hope so, because this sounds really good! I bet roasted they taste fantastic too. Thanks!

Re: MCV new
      #176152 - 05/03/05 09:45 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

JUST BE SURE TO PEEL THEM!!! The skins kill me!!! Peppers generally really bug me. If I cut the acidity and remove the skin and combine it with another veg., it sits a lot better.
I have the same problem though with tomatoe/tomatoe skins...or
really anything with skins! Personally, I avoid tomatoe things/pepper anything.

Re: beets. Have you ever had borsct? That is delicious!
Also, roasting the beets really adds dimension and flavour.
Just do it as you would a potatoe, then peel after its been roasted. Beet is really good combined with a squash, or if you like bitter things like me, daikon radish (a.k.a. lo bok). It's a kind of radish/turnip. Sometimes a little beet whipped into potatoe is really funky--pink potatoes.

Beets! new
      #176624 - 05/04/05 01:55 PM
retrograde

Hehe I've definitely done the funky pink potatoes thing before - yummy!

My boyfriend is Ukranian so he was raised on broscht. I like it too. I had it at his grandmother's place a while back and it was soooo good so I came home and made some myself. I didn't ask her for the recipe, just made it from a website or something, so of course it wasn't anywhere near as good. But maybe it was that she *roasted* the beets first?

I love really any kind of root veggie soup. Do you have Heather's Eating for IBS? In there there's a carrot and sweet potato soup that's to die for. It's got maple syrup and chilies in it and it's sooo good - sweet and spicy. Yum.

Re: Beets! new
      #176658 - 05/04/05 06:09 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Ditto. I love root-veg. soups in the fall/winter, when it's more the season!

My grandmother makes me Borscht a few times a year. She's Polish. It's quite cooling in the summer. Another one of my favourite soups is cucumber/potatoe. Basically, that's all it is--cucumbers and potatoes and dill. You can do it with pickles too. One of these days, I'll get her to make perogies without all the triggers--trust me, I have to watch this lady like a hawk--or make them with her, except a modified IBS safe version. An acorn or buttercup squash stuffing/filling would be delicious. And why bother deep frying them, when they can easily be crispy in the oven. This lady doesn't go a day without pork fat and lard, incidentally. She's in her late 80's so I'd better do some recipe modification while she's handy.

I love the way root veg. and squashes get sweeter after oven roasting.

Hoisin sauce new
      #176677 - 05/04/05 07:08 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

But ok stupid question... what's a hoisin sauce?

I don't think anyone answered this question (which by the way is not stupid!). Hoisin sauce is an Asian sauce that has an awesome flavor. It's not very spicy at all in my opinion, b/c I don't like foods with much heat. It's actually slightly sweet. This is what the Cook's Enecyclopedia says about it:

hoisin sauce
[ HOY-sihn; hoy-SIHN ] Also called Peking sauce, this thick, reddish-brown sauce is sweet and spicy, and widely used in Chinese cooking. It's a mixture of soybeans, garlic, chile peppers and various spices. Hoisin sauce is mainly used as a table condiment and as a flavoring agent for many meat, poultry and shellfish dishes. It can be found in Asian markets and many large supermarkets. Once opened, canned hoisin should be transferred to a nonmetal container, tightly sealed and refrigerated. Bottled hoisin can be refrigerated as is. Both will keep indefinitely when stored in this manner.

I hope that helps!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Hoisin sauce new
      #176740 - 05/05/05 05:38 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I love cooking with hoisin sauce. I'll saute up chicken breasts and veggies in the sauce and wrap them up in tortillas. Yummy!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Thanks Kree! That sounds good; I'll have to try it! -nt- new
      #176796 - 05/05/05 08:02 AM
retrograde

Re: Beets! new
      #176898 - 05/05/05 01:47 PM
retrograde

Veggie-filled perogies! Kate, you're brilliant!!

yes , sorry new
      #176918 - 05/05/05 02:34 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I didn't see the question for some reason. Hoisin sauce is wonderful! It is in all the stores by the soy sauce. I think everyone likes hoisin sauce. I love it on tortillas too!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 349 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10263

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review