Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sugar in Heather's breads
      #172000 - 04/20/05 06:11 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Hey all,
Just got the cookbook and was a little nervous about making some of Heather's breads due to the sugar (I don't deal well w/ it). Any suggestions for substitutions?

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

The only safe sugar substitute is stevia new
      #172008 - 04/20/05 07:08 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...and I have absolutely no experience baking with it. It does have a strong "herbal" taste, so I imagine that would come through in baked goods, too, making it probably less than ideal.

I don't recall - do you have to avoid all sugars completely, or just refined sugar? Or are you simply trying to reduce sugar? (There are a lot of people trying to go sugar-free these days here; I have a hard time keeping it all straight!) I've had success reducing the sugar in most of the recipes, because I don't like my breads quite so sweet. You can also experiment with honey, if it's just refined white sugar that you're trying to avoid.

Re: The only safe sugar substitute is stevia new
      #172027 - 04/20/05 08:45 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I do use stevia in tea and like it. I try to go for absolutley minimal sugar...my tummy just doesn't like it. And sometimes even too much fruit like bananas sets me off. Sometimes I can sub in unsweetened apple sauce.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Well you can at least cut it down! new
      #172047 - 04/20/05 11:42 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm going sugar fee (mostly) and last time I made ADBs for guests, I used 75% of the normal amount of sugar and they were still yummy...some people couldn't tell the difference and others said they prefered them like that! Next time I'll try 50%.

So I bet you could at least cut the sugar down alot.

In that case... new
      #172072 - 04/21/05 03:42 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Definitely give stevia a try for baking. In breads that already have spices, it should be completely unnoticeable, but if you notice a funny taste in other recipes, try adding some cinnamon and a pinch of cloves, and that should cover it up.

I went through the sugar-upsets-my-gut thing too, when I was very unstable. Thankfully, once I stabilized a bit, I could go back to eating it!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2925

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review