All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Low-Fat Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread
      #170165 - 04/15/05 11:11 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

This is my first recipe post ever. Eek! I don't have much talent in the kitchen, but I found this recipe, adapted it a bit and I liked it so much it became a staple once I "broke the cycle." It makes an extra tasty breakfast or snack with a cup of Teeccino or tea!

Low-Fat Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup egg substitute
1 can (16 oz) whole cranberry sauce
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin (I set aside a tsp as a treat for my cat! )
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Combine wet ingredients in separate bowl. Next add wet ingredients to dry; mix to just moistened. Stir in walnuts. Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans. Bake 50-60 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Low-Fat Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread new
      #170172 - 04/15/05 11:22 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Sounds yummy, Maria. I struggle to find something I like for breakfast, so I'll definitely give this a try. (If I don't have a cat, can I use the whole can of pumpkin in the bread? )

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#170176 - 04/15/05 11:27 AM
lalala

If I don't have a cat, can I use the whole can of pumpkin in the bread?

LOL! Definitely!

Oh, Maria, this is delicious! new
      #173571 - 04/25/05 02:39 PM
Sand

I made it yesterday and it was yummy all the way down the line: batter, warm from the oven, and cooled this morning for breakfast. I didn't really taste either the pumpkin or the cranberry as such; it was just really, really good.

I followed the recipe exactly, except I just sprayed the pans with Pam, rather than greasing and flouring. And I used the walnuts.

I used Ocean Spray Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce, but when I read the can it has HFCS. I checked at Whole Foods today and found their 365 Day Brand Organic Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce which does NOT have HFCS. So I got a can for next time I make this - which will be soon.

Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Yay! I'm glad you liked it. new
      #173603 - 04/25/05 04:41 PM
lalala

I've been using the same Ocean Spray Whole Berry sauce and I didn't even think it might contain HFCS. Weird! I guess that's a lesson for me to ALWAYS, ALWAYS read the ingredients list. I'll have to find a sub since there's not a Whole Foods near where I live.

Well, I still have to try your mini-cinnamon roll recipe; I keep forgetting the cresecent rolls when I go shopping. I put it on my list, but then went I get to the grocery store I don't even look at it. Lol. Anyway, I've been reading all these great recipes, marking ones I want to try--I don't even know where to start!

Re: Yay! I'm glad you liked it. new
      #173768 - 04/26/05 07:24 AM
Sand

I'm tolerating the HFCS fine in your bread - I think there's enough SF in there to cushion it.

I looked for a non-HFCS cranberry sauce because I've found myself doing a lot of hand-waving lately: Oh, I can handle a little egg yolk in my mayonnaise; a little HFCS in my ketchup; a little this in my that. I figure pretty soon I'll build up a critical mass of a little this-in-my-that and my tummy will explode! So my new resolve is to tolerate a little this-in-my-that only when I can't find a substitute. (I even found myself looking at homemade ketchup recipes on the Internet. I decided to lie down for a while with a cold compress on my head and felt much more myself when I got up. )

--------------------

#173934 - 04/26/05 01:17 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Congrats on a winnner, keep up the posting of recipes, it's much appreciated.

Do ALL cats like pumpkin? So funny......

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Maria, does your Low-Fat Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread freeze well? -nt- new
      #218972 - 10/11/05 03:50 PM
Sand

--------------------

#219011 - 10/11/05 07:51 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

I know there is HFCS in the cranberry sauce - does it bake out where it is safer???

#219024 - 10/11/05 09:00 PM
lalala

Quote:

I know there is HFCS in the cranberry sauce - does it bake out where it is safer???

I don't think so. You could try to find another brand of whole cranberry sauce that doesn't contain HFCS, like Sand did. (She uses the Whole Foods brand.) Personally, I haven't had a problem with it. I'm assuming maybe there's not enough in a slice or serving to aggravate my IBS symptoms or, as Sand mentioned, there's enough SF to "cushion" the HFCS.

Re: Yep! -nt- new
      #219025 - 10/11/05 09:01 PM
lalala

#219032 - 10/11/05 09:47 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

This looks fab... I'm so into the "Fall Season" foods right now.... this fits right in there!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

What do you all think... new
      #219080 - 10/12/05 08:23 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

would happen if I used the jellied cranberry sauce? My husband doesn't like the berries for some reason.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: What do you all think... new
      #219083 - 10/12/05 08:26 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

would happen if I used the jellied cranberry sauce? My husband doesn't like the berries for some reason.

Only one way to find out!! hehehe No really, I bet it would be fine.... but also from the other posts on this thread....you should still watch for the HFCS.....

Let us know if you try it.

--------------------

#219091 - 10/12/05 08:42 AM
lalala

I accidentally used the jellied cranberry sauce the first time I made this! I don't remember the exact results--nothing disastrous, except maybe I had to cook it a bit longer because it was more moist.

#219095 - 10/12/05 08:47 AM
Shell Marr

Yeah, I was thinking....maybe just not use about a 1/4 of the can...save it for a sandwich ....(or maybe the cat? lol)

--------------------

#219104 - 10/12/05 09:07 AM
lalala

Quote:

Yeah, I was thinking....maybe just not use about a 1/4 of the can...save it for a sandwich ....(or maybe the cat? lol) Lol!

Re: Brand Names of Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce new
      #219109 - 10/12/05 09:14 AM
lalala

HFCS-FREE: Grown Right Organic Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce, Whole Foods 365 Organic Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce (organic cranberries, organic sugar, water, organic lemon juice concentrate)

CONTAIN HFCS, AVOID IF YOU'RE SENSITIVE TO HFCS: Ocean Spray Whole Berry Cranberry, Whole Foods 365 Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce (cranberries, HFCS, corn syrup, water)

UNABLE TO FIND INGREDIENT LIST (please check labels if these are available at your local HFS or grocery store): Wild Oats Label Organic Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce, Gefen Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce, White Rose Whole Cranberry Sauce, ShopRite Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce

Edited by Maria!Maria! (10/12/05 12:24 PM)

#219134 - 10/12/05 12:16 PM
Sand

Quote:

CONTAIN HFCS, AVOID IF YOU'RE SENSITIVE TO HFCS: Ocean Spray Whole Berry Cranberry, Whole Foods 365 Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce (cranberries, HFCS, corn syrup, water)

I have a can of "Whole Foods 365 Organic" Organic Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce I bought this past summer. Ingredients: Organic Cranberries, Organic Sugar, Water And Organic Lemon Juice Concentrate. I guess either Whole Foods has recently changed their recipe or they have an organic and an in-organic line of products? I'll try to remember to poke around a little the next time I'm in there.

--------------------

Re: Whole Foods new
      #219135 - 10/12/05 12:22 PM
lalala

I couldn't find the ingredients online for the organic cranberry sauce, but I'll add it to safe list. I don't have a Whole Foods near me to check, so I had to go by the info on their website. (Well, the closest WF is only an hour and a half away but I still don't feel up to the drive).

Re: Whole Foods new
      #219137 - 10/12/05 12:27 PM
Sand

Okey-doke. I'll double-check the next time I'm in there - already added it to my grocery list - and make sure the ingredients still look okay.

Only an hour and a half! I like being able to pop into my local Whole Foods for odds and ends, but I don't think I'd drive an hour and a half to get to one. Hmmm. Except maybe for Soy Dream Mocha Fudge Ice Cream. That's worth a 3-hour round trip.

--------------------

#221590 - 10/27/05 10:28 AM
LindsayK

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Austin, TX

I've made this before and it made a great bread to take to work and snack on. I just bought the ingredients to make it again. Can't wait.

I'm trying to pretend it's fall (it's still almost 80 degrees here). I'm originally from the north and baking bread reminds me of chilly autumn days. I miss seeing the leaves change.

--------------------
Lins

#221990 - 10/29/05 08:47 AM
Grandma

Reged: 09/29/05
Loc: MO

Perhaps you could try using fresh cranberries in the recipe instead of the canned? I like fresh cranberries becuase I find the canned ones too sweet. Below are some useful tips for using fresh cranberries:

Cranberries are usually found in sealed plastic bags. The standard 12-ounce bag of fresh cranberries yields about 3 cups whole berries, 2 1/2 cups chopped. Don't wash cranberries (or any berries, for that matter) until you're ready to eat them or use them in a recipe. They'll turn moldy and mushy if washed and stored.
To prepare cranberries for cooking, sort out bruised berries, then rinse in cold water. The berries can easily be frozen for up to nine months. Just pop them in your freezer for later use (wash before you use them, but NOT before freezing). When ready to use, do not thaw. Follow recipe directions using frozen berries. Chop cranberries in a food processor for quick results

The recipe calls for a 16 oz can (equals 2 cups) of whole cranberries so maybe you could chop a 12 oz bag of fresh ones which would equal about 2 1/2 cups.

Re: I'm glad you liked it! new
      #222078 - 10/29/05 09:19 PM
lalala

Wow! 80 degress!

Well, it's really cooling down here, which means it's a lot easier to cook and bake. I don't have air-conditioning - I don't even remember what I ate this summer, it was so hot. I have to say that there's something comforting about the fall.

#222079 - 10/29/05 09:22 PM
lalala

That sounds great! Thank you for the tips and taking the time to write them out. I'll have to try it with fresh cranberries--I bet it'll taste even better. I wonder if I could use blueberries instead. Do blueberries go well with pumpkin? I guess I'll just have to find out and do some experimenting in the kitchen!

Did the Calories From Fat math finally new
      #237230 - 01/10/06 12:28 PM
Sand

Assuming I did my math right - always a dangerous assumption - I came out with:

For the whole recipe without walnuts:
3500 calories, 660 from fat; 19% CFF

For the whole recipe with walnuts:
3700 calories, 840 from fat; 23% CFF

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16138

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review