All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I need spaghetti squash ideas!
      #168675 - 04/10/05 08:14 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Just looking for some ideas of how to fix it. (No tomatoey ingredients, please. Tomatoes are not a good thing at the moment.) Also, spaghetti squash would be an IF, right? Thanks!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

My favorite... new
      #168690 - 04/10/05 09:49 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Saute some chopped onion on low heat until it's really nice and soft, and dark - almost carmelized. Add chopped fresh mushrooms, and cook until the mushrooms are done. (Be generous with the amounts of the mushrooms and onions - they reduce down to such a tiny amount. One container of fresh mushrooms isn't enough for more than 2 people.) Season with salt and pepper, and if you like, some minced fresh herbs - basil is always nice.

To serve, put a little safe margarine on your squash, top with the mushroom mixture, and top it all off with some soy parmesan, if you like. Heavenly!

Really, you can top spaghetti squash with anything you'd put on pasta, so the recipe index might have some good ideas. A light pesto (homemade, so you know it's free of dairy and excess oil) would work. So would any combination of sauteed vegetables, and - when you're ready for it - tomato sauce.

I'm not sure if spaghetti squash is IF or not. To be on the safe side, assume it is, and have some good bread with dinner.

Re: My favorite... new
      #168695 - 04/10/05 11:08 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I do the same thing as casey.. and it really is yummy with some onions and mushrooms.

also I throw it into pasta dishes with shrimp or chicken and a little whitewine/chicken broth sauce.

or saute it with white wine or fat free italian dressing. simple, easy and yummy

--------------------

Edited by spicey813 (04/10/05 11:08 AM)

squash is SF, but... new
      #213655 - 09/15/05 12:31 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

How many servings does an average size squash give you? And, how do you cook it? Does it freeze well, once it's cooked?

Thanks

I can answer *some* of that... new
      #213661 - 09/15/05 12:50 PM
atomic rose

I have no idea how it freezes, because I've never had enough leftovers to try to freeze!

Eating it like a main dish, as a pasta substitute, I got 2 or 3 servings out of an average-size spaghetti squash. If you're doing it as a side dish, figure anywhere from 4-6 servings, depending on how hungry you are.

There are a few different ways of preparing it, but what I've always done is to cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and bake it cut-side-down in a baking pan until it pierces easily with a knife. Then you flip it over and, using a fork, "flake" out the squash in spaghetti-like strands.

It can also be microwaved, but I don't know how off the top of my head. (My microwave is too small and weak for such a thing, so I've never tried it.)

Cyndy: spaghetti squash is SF, unless... new
      #213716 - 09/15/05 03:38 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

...you eat the skin and the seeds, which I don't recommend.

Kate.

Re: My favorite.../spicey813 new
      #213718 - 09/15/05 03:41 PM
Wind

DITTO!!! Except I like to add either a baby spinach/herb puree green sauce, or an asparagus/herb green sauce. It's also really good with MOCK TOMATOE sauce, which is basically just a combo of carrots and beets.

NOW, I'm hungry.

Kate.

Carrots and beets! new
      #213750 - 09/15/05 06:29 PM
atomic rose

My goodness, I never thought of that! Do you season it up basically the same as you'd season tomato sauce? I can eat tomatoes, but I *love* beets - that sounds wonderful on spaghetti squash.

Kate, you're a genius!

#213752 - 09/15/05 06:36 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

ohhh sounds yummy!!!

I love beets.. but I hate PREPPING THEM!
meeeesssssy

--------------------

#213797 - 09/16/05 05:55 AM
Wind

They are actually TOO EASY, to prep. Have you tried roasting them? It's rather like baking potatoes, in the oven. Peeling is a breeze, afterwards. Just were gloves or else you'll look like an axe murderess! The sugars intensify/carmelize and you have that explosive yum in your tum. Really good with a little fresh lime juice and either balsalmic vinegar or rice vinegar/seasoned rice vinegar.

Kate.

Re: Carrots and beets! new
      #213798 - 09/16/05 06:06 AM
Wind

Tomatoes wreck havoc upon me, I regret, so when I have a tomatoe sauce craving, I satisfy it with the carrot/beet sauce, or MOCK TOMATOE SAUCE. I posted a couple recipes awhile back. Basically, it's a tomatoe sauce, just using a combination of beets and carrots and the seasonings are the same. It's truly amazing if you roast the beets and carrots before food processing to allow the sugars to carmelize.

Optically, the beets themselves are glorious in contrast with the spaghetti squash. The flavour is explosive, especially if you use some fresh basil leaves. It's ultra simple. It's even more wonderful if you can tolerate a little roasted shallot.

LOL--sometimes all you want for dinner is the sauce! Memories of days past when all I wanted was a plate of ketchup and mustard for lunch.

Kate.

Re: Carrots and beets! new
      #213806 - 09/16/05 07:14 AM
atomic rose

Cool... I will do a search. Although, based on your description, I can pretty much figure it out on my own. It just sounds like it would be heavenly - the sweetness and color of the beets against the dark yellow squash, sprinkled with some fresh basil... hmm... I think I need to go shopping, I'm getting hungry.

Thanks!

Ashley, easy beets new
      #213810 - 09/16/05 07:27 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If you don't want the mess of cooking beets, you might want to try this product. Mellissa's beets

I found them at Trader Joes...if you have one near you. I had no idea how to cook a beet, but these work out great.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

awesome! thanks beth.. i'll check it out @ tjs!!! -nt- new
      #213904 - 09/16/05 12:53 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

--------------------

#213905 - 09/16/05 12:54 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

we serve them roasted at work sooooo good

i'll try it

--------------------

Re: I need spaghetti squash ideas! new
      #213910 - 09/16/05 01:05 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I've always enjoyed chopping it in half, placing a little safe margarine along with some maple syrup and a small piece of turkey bacon in the scooped-out centers, and baking it until nice and tender. I love the sweetness of it!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5888

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review