All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I really need some help!
      #1684 - 02/28/03 10:57 PM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Hello Everyone! I'm brand new to this so forgive if I make any mistakes. I was diagnosed with IBS in 1999 but stupidly believed there was nothing i could do to control it or to help myself. I suffered in silence. In 2000, my husband and I moved to Japan. Since I can't speak, read or write the language, I had to depend on McDonald's or food products with pictures. Since then I have been trying to control my condition. On our short journeys back to Canada, we would bring back non-perishables to supplement the fresh veggies and meat we bought in Japan. Such things as Betty Crocker instant mashed potatoes, Chicken Helper, spices, soups...

Currently, I am struggling to control everything but I keep swinging from constipation to diaherra. I don't get the horribly severe attacks as often - that much I have been able to control. But the constipation is driving me crazy. I feel as if I have to accept one or the other - that I have no choice. I feel so helpless because I don't have access to things I normally would in Canada (we're not scheduled to move back until the end of this year) While I'm trying to ease the pain with the staples I have, I can't find soy milk and tofu scares me. We eat mostly chicken, veggies, soups, salads, french bread, pasta, oatmeal, toast, peanut butter, egg salad, white rice, potatoes, etc. After consulting the diet guide and diet FAQ...it seems we're doing almost everything right (my husband has ulcerative colitis). But why am I struggling with severe constipation? I find myself eating the wrong stuff just so that I will have diaherra and can clear my system. (I know this is bad - but I'm desperate) I can't consult doctors here because they don't believe this is a real syndrome.

Could someone please take me under their wing and give me guidance?

Do you have any basic recipe's (containing ingredients I might be able to find here?)

Do you know of any good import companies that have a website? (I need to find more metamucil)

Thank you for taking the time to read my plea, I look forward to any help you can offer me.

Kim

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I really need some help! new
      #1695 - 03/01/03 10:03 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Kim: Many of the foods that you are eating don't seem to be in the "safe" area of the IBS diet. Nothing at McDonald's is safe, if you're eating just salads there, that's a good reason why you're having problems. Many of us can't eat salad as a main meal (that's one of my worst triggers). Egg salad has yolks and mayonnaise, both are triggers, peanut butter is a trigger also. Have you purchased Heather's book? It gives you a larger picture of why you need to eat the way you need to eat. You say you're eating chicken, are you frying it (another major trigger for me). Instant potatoes are made with butter, very high in fat. You can't rely on just the fat content as listed on labels or charts, you have to do the formula that Heather suggests for actual fat content vs. calories. You can eat something that is listed low fat, but when you do the formula, it turns out that it's 50% fat, that's not low fat for IBS sufferers. As for fiber, my doctor recommended Konsyl as it has more actual fiber content in it than the other brands. Just put KONSYL into your search and many choices of sites selling it will come up for you. You're on the right track though, you just need to identify your own specific triggers and work from there! Good luck!!!!

#1716 - 03/01/03 04:37 PM
highsmith

Reged: 01/30/03

kim i know how you feel but i did get heather van vorous two books and they really helped me you didnt say if you have her books on the metamucil try to call them 1 800 983 4237 or ther www. netamucil.com maybe they could send you some this ibs is a pain but that is life i did change the way i eat and it does help thanks to heather hope all works out but fast foods i dont do it really helps and teas and lots of water and soy and yoga helps try it diane

#1722 - 03/01/03 05:57 PM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Thanks Karin -

I've found that if I eat salad at the end of my meal - it doesn't bother me. Neither does egg salad. I don't fry any of my food. I can't find soy milk or their products here.

I guess I forgot to mention in my letter that while we depended on fast food when we first moved to Japan - we absolutely DONOT touch the stuff now. I have narrowed down some of my triggers for diaherra - but I can't shake the constipation. I have ordered Heather's books but they're going to take a couple of months to get here. I need some ideas in the meantime.

My main concern with the book - and also with alot of the recipes in the newsletters - is that I can't get a lot of the essential ingredients in Japan. So I'm stuck.

#1738 - 03/01/03 10:36 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Kim, do they have rice milk there? I use that as Soy doesn't agree with me. When I am in a flare up (because I ate something bad for me), I resort to roasted chicken, rice and non sweetened applesauce. It calms my system down enough to bring back other "safe" foods again. I make my own yogurt (24 hour minimum culture) and that seems to agree with me, so in the morning I make my yogurt/bananna/fruit shake with my fiber and calcium powder (the calcium tends to constipate though, but I personally need that) in the morning. Cocoa powder unfortunately is one of my triggers, not supposed to be, but is. So by trial and elimination (no pun intended...lol), I have figured out a "safe" diet to resort to when I flare. It's just hard to do when traveling, eating out or at a party. I've heard that Sushi can be safe, personally I've never tried it, but since you are in Japan, maybe it's a good option. Hopefully some of the IBS-C sufferers can add to this and give a different perspective. Karin

Edited by Karin (03/02/03 08:28 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 359 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3420

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review