All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
candied nuts! safe, easy, GF and pesadich!
      #168222 - 04/08/05 04:30 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I'm going to post 2 recipes- sesame almonds and the other is my pecan/walnut recipe.... I've done the almonds in the cinnamon too- its all yummy!

required items:
CAST IRON SKILLET!
metal spatula!
foil spread on counter for cooling

Nothing else I have ever used carried the heat properly.. and a plastic spatula will melt!

(if your pan is smaller then you think you can comfortably stir this in when it becomes sticky without losing nuts- reduce proportionately.. I normally do 3/4 pound of almonds at once..)

sesame almonds:

1 pound plain almonds- unsalted!!!
1 cup sugar (can be adjusted to taste..less or more..)
1/4 cup sesame seeds, again- to taste

mix together in cast iron skillet over high heat until the sugar has completely melted... once it gets close it goes fast.. as soon as it has started melting you need to be constantly stirring to keep it from burning. Once you can no longer see sugar crystals immediately pour it onto foil and use spatula to spread nuts out.

cinnamon nuts:
1 pound either almonds or pecans
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cinnamon (again can be adjusted to taste)

cook the same way as above.

One extra note to make cleanup easier... if you dunk the still hot pan in warm tap water immediately most of the sugar will wind up in the water... then you can boil off the water just like any other time you clean cast iron!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Cinnamon almonds *rule*! new
      #168379 - 04/08/05 03:57 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

They're the first thing I go for at renaissance fairs. I've never made them myself, but now I guess I have no excuse!

Re: Cinnamon almonds *rule*! new
      #168451 - 04/09/05 03:32 AM
khyricat

these aren't the same- taste the same but they are crunchier then the ones I get at fairs, etc- those are more spun on stuff whereas these are coated with a candy coat.. but YUMMY! I've actually done cinnamon almonds, but I love the sesame ones!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#168458 - 04/09/05 04:20 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

As long as they taste the same, they're good by me. I'm definitely going to try the sesame ones, too. I have a feeling they'll be just as addictive. I'll let you know when I try them!

#168462 - 04/09/05 04:46 AM
khyricat

have fun- the important part to making them is it all has to be in the pan the entire time... if you add the nuts to melted sugar it cools the sugar and won't coat evenly... if the nuts are hot too, you can stir thins around and coat them well...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#168479 - 04/09/05 08:40 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Thanks for the recipe Amie, and all the tips. I love cinnamon almonds but always bought them at Trader Joes. Ingredients say almonds, sugar and cinnamon, so essentially the same as yours but am wondering how they taste different. Now the big decision is whether or not to buy a large cast iron skillet to make them. The existing cast iron pieces I have, I'm afraid have been contaminated with gluten so I don't use them for cooking anything for me. Kandee

--------------------

#168482 - 04/09/05 08:53 AM
khyricat

a cheap skillet works as well as a good one.. thats one trick mom and I have learned over the years.. so it won't cost much... good luck! I love these things.. and you can modify proportions of sugar and cinnamon and nuts to get the taste you want! I use more cinnamon and less sugar for myself normally.. but most people like the proportion i posted best...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Thanks Amie.. new
      #168513 - 04/09/05 11:27 AM
Kandee

Quote:

a cheap skillet works as well as a good one.. thats one trick mom and I have learned over the years.. so it won't cost much... good luck! I love these things.. and you can modify proportions of sugar and cinnamon and nuts to get the taste you want! I use more cinnamon and less sugar for myself normally.. but most people like the proportion i posted best...

Good idea, thanks. I've gone to buying cheap skillets anyway (since I'm so hard on them) then pitching out when they die....I LOVE cinnamon, the more the better, so would like your proportions I'm sure! Kandee

--------------------

the only issue.. new
      #168527 - 04/09/05 11:48 AM
khyricat

is the extreme heat but they make and sell cheap cast iron... and I figure if a bit of the iron winds up int he food who cares.. I think the set I have I bought 3/12$ big one is pesadich and I use for the nuts and 2 smaller ones I use for other things- the little one is great for cornbread....

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

LMBO...Better iron then Teflon or aluminum!!! -nt- new
      #168601 - 04/09/05 07:57 PM
Kandee

Kandee

--------------------

Kandee, I never changed my pans when changing to GF new
      #168609 - 04/09/05 08:54 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

when I went GF! You mean I was suppose to by all new pot, pans, tupperware, toaster and appliances?? Isn't a good hot washing okay? I've been using my old ones for 18 months now. Don't really have the money for new ones.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Kandee, I never changed my pans when changing to GF new
      #168624 - 04/09/05 10:55 PM
Kandee

Quote:

when I went GF! You mean I was suppose to by all new pot, pans, tupperware, toaster and appliances??

You don't really want to hear this do you?
But yes--there is this pesky thing called cross contamination, and if there is so much as a little nick in a pan or plate or container it can hold the most minute amount of gluten which can contaminate the GF food. I understand toasters and cast iron are the worst offenders. If you have to, buy a $9 cheapy toaster and the cheapest set of pots/pans you can (or just one of each from say Walmart), and some of those ziplock storage plastic containers.

Isn't a good hot washing okay? From what I understand, unless it is glass with no scratches, no. It's the pits I know. I've been using my old ones for 18 months now. oops Don't really have the money for new ones. Then cook everything on top of foil until you do.

Don't feel bad, I fought this like crazy for the longest time, but finally gave into reality. Still, it goes against my grain (pun intended) to have to do this. Recently I've discovered that a lot of supplements I'd been taking, don't say gluten free so may be questionalble even though the ingredients sound safe..I've quit using all of them except for GF liquid ones (and they actually SAY Gluten free) The constant muscle aches are gone. Coincidence or connection? Who knows, but I'll take it. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Kandee, I never changed my pans when changing to GF new
      #169940 - 04/14/05 12:55 PM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

OH NO! This is not good for me. I am a college student and just got up the money to buy my first set of pots for my apartment a couple of months ago. I promise... IBS and Gluten Intolerance are not for the money pressed and average college students!

--------------------
Keep Smiling

I didn't think nuts were allowed on this diet new
      #170143 - 04/15/05 10:14 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Aren't they listed as one of the top 10 triggers because of both fat and because they are hard to digest?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I didn't think nuts were allowed on this diet new
      #170149 - 04/15/05 10:29 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

It's true that nuts are easier to digest if finely ground, but I don't think they're "not allowed." Also, the diet is not a fat-free diet, but a low-fat one, and nuts are "good fat." I'm basing this on what Heather has to say here:

"As an aside here, while it's crucial to maintain a low fat diet in order to manage Irritable Bowel Syndrome, it's equally important that you do not go fat free. Though it makes no difference to your gastrocolic reflex if you're eating lard or extra-virgin olive oil, it will make quite a difference to your heart and your health in general. Your body needs healthy fats in order to function. Keep your fat intake to 20% - 25% of your total calories, and make your fats count. They should be monounsaturated and contain essential fatty acids, so choose fat sources such as olive oil, canola oil, avocados, finely ground nuts, fatty fish, flax oil, etc."

And, for those people who are stable, eating a few nuts (safely) is probably okay, especially if they're toasted or incorporated with other SF foods.

well put... I handle these just fine as a dessert... new
      #170195 - 04/15/05 12:23 PM
khyricat

just a few after a dinner which includes plenty of SF... but you're right, I am stable.. and I don't eat a ton... I eat more merengue kisses- now those are both safe and sinful and I can eat all of them if I'm not careful!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: well put... I handle these just fine as a dessert... new
      #170746 - 04/18/05 03:34 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi Amie,
Would like to send you some curry recipes since you like them but they do not conform to the IBS board and I cannot place them there. Do you have an email address where I can get in touch with you. My email address is estella882000@yahoo.com Do let me know. Jenny

Curry new
      #170749 - 04/18/05 04:01 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Why don't you post them here and see if anyone can work out safe subs? Casey and some of the others are pretty ingenious when doing this. I'd love a safe curry recipe!

Posting recipes to be modified new
      #171525 - 04/19/05 02:09 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I agree, Jennifer, I'd love to see them. I love curry! It's okay to post recipes here that you need help modifying, as long as you mention that in the title or at the beginning of your post so people new to the diet don't get the wrong idea.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Posting recipes to be modified new
      #171667 - 04/19/05 10:14 PM
Jennifer1946

Thanks. I will do that now. Jenny

Re: Curry new
      #171668 - 04/19/05 10:17 PM
Jennifer1946

Thanks dear, I will get down to it as soon as I am free. Jenny

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 530 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11554

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review