All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can't eat soy - what should I do?
      #165426 - 03/30/05 02:40 PM
valentine

Reged: 06/10/04

Was feeling upbeat today (must be the zoloft kicking in) and decided to flick through the IBS recipe book and go shopping. Quite a few of the recipes call for soy sour cream and many other soy substitutes. If I so much look at soy I blow up like a balloon. I am happy to use the rice milk and I have tried the rice cheese (it was awful!!) but what should I do about the soy cream cheese and all the others? Are there rice equivalents for them?

As an aside I thought I would throw together the honey glazed snack mix to share with my children. Can you believe I burnt it! Unbelievable! Oh well tomorrows another day...

Thanks for your help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can't eat soy - what should I do? new
      #165437 - 03/30/05 02:56 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

My Boards sort from oldest post to newest post by default, so everytime I go to the IBS Diet Board I see this post. It looks like it was the second one ever posted and it's called "Help! I can't do soy or tofu!" There are probably more recent posts on the same subject, but this will give you some information to start with.

Also, I just bought a container of Soyco Foods Rice Low Fat Sour Cream Alternative, "made with Wholesome Brown Rice". The texture seems as close to dairy sour cream as the soy substitute and it smells like sour cream. It tastes a little bland, but to me so does the soy substitute. I haven't tried cooking with it yet, so I don't know how it will hold up in recipes.

I'm sorry about the snack mix. I make it fairly often and love it - it's seriously addictive - so it's worth trying again. I do mine in the oven since I don't have a microwave.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thanks Sand! new
      #165687 - 03/31/05 09:34 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Also, I just bought a container of Soyco Foods Rice Low Fat Sour Cream Alternative, "made with Wholesome Brown Rice". The texture seems as close to dairy sour cream as the soy substitute and it smells like sour cream. It tastes a little bland, but to me so does the soy substitute. I haven't tried cooking with it yet, so I don't know how it will hold up in recipes.

I had no idea they made this...I'll have to look for it or see if my HFS will order it for me. Since I can't do soy either, I don't ever bother with sour cream or cream cheese. I do cheat with a little grated (very expensive) Parmesan cheese now and then . or FF frozen yogurt , but that's about it. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Thanks Sand! new
      #165735 - 03/31/05 11:37 AM
Sand

I bought mine at Whole Foods. I somehow imagine California as having a Whole Foods every 20 feet, so surely there's one near you.

I have a suspicion that cheating a little now and then is the best way to stay on any restricted eating plan. Have you found a rice "ice cream" you like or do you pretty much just go for frozen yogurt when the yen strikes?

I love your dancing daisies. There are so many neat animated signatures on the Board. Ericasmom showed me where to make sparkle names, but where do you find something like your daisies?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Whole Foods Revisited? new
      #165974 - 03/31/05 06:39 PM
Kandee

Quote:

I bought mine at Whole Foods. I somehow imagine California as having a Whole Foods every 20 feet, so surely there's one near you.

Funny how everyone in the East thinks that California is all beaches, health food stores and juice bars. I'm so far removed from that going to the nearest WF would have me packing my overnight bag. Let's put it this way...if tumbleweeds turned out to be soluble fiber I could supply every one on this board with SF for a lifetime!

I have a suspicion that cheating a little now and then is the best way to stay on any restricted eating plan. Have you found a rice "ice cream" you like or do you pretty much just go for frozen yogurt when the yen strikes?

I buy Rice Dream Ice Cream...plain boring vanilla, for home.....but when out...yes, my Yen sometimes gets the best of me, but I pretend I'm like Kirsti Allie was in her last episode of Fat Actress, and pretend I live in a world of teeny tiny amounts...so I really eat what amounts to about 1/4 cup, just enough to wash down the handfull of lactaids mind you.

I love your dancing daisies. There are so many neat animated signatures on the Board. Ericasmom showed me where to make sparkle names, but where do you find something like your daisies? Funny you said that..these were actually starting to drive me crazy enuf make me want to run to the Librium. Actually Shell was kind enuf to find these for me and let me link it to her website, but if you do find some, you can save them and set up an account at photobucket.com or some other sites and link to that. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Whole Foods Revisited? new
      #165977 - 03/31/05 06:52 PM
Sand

I guess I'm going to have to revise my view of California. Tumbleweeds?

I'm off to Whole Foods tomorrow, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for Rice Dream. Thanks for the info.

I've got a photobucket account, so if I ever figure out where to find some moving gifs, I've got someplace to put them.

It seems to me that your flowers are dancing faster and faster as time goes by. Maybe they know their days are numbered.

One more question if you don't mind: I can get what you said in a Quote box by clicking on "Quote" in the Instant UBB Code box, then copying and pasting your post in between the indicators, but I lose your different colored answers. Is there a way to keep your colors? Thanks.

--------------------

Animation new
      #166006 - 03/31/05 09:12 PM
Kandee

Quote:

I guess I'm going to have to revise my view of California. Tumbleweeds? yep

I'm off to Whole Foods tomorrow, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for Rice Dream. Thanks for the info.

I've got a photobucket account, so if I ever figure out where to find some moving gifs, I've got someplace to put them. Do a google search on "free animated giffs" then just start searching. Once you find one, right click and save to your hard drive in the directory you want it to go into.

It seems to me that your flowers are dancing faster and faster as time goes by. Maybe they know their days are numbered. yep LOL

One more question if you don't mind: I can get what you said in a Quote box by clicking on "Quote" in the Instant UBB Code box, then copying and pasting your post in between the indicators, but I lose your different colored answers. Is there a way to keep your colors? Thanks.

When you want to add the entire message to your reply instead of clicking "reply" to the right of the title of the message box, click "quote". That way the entire quote, colors and all, get into your reply. Others had to teach me this too...(I just didn't get it)..Anyway, then, if you want to comment in a different color, scroll down to where you want to make a comment and leave the cursor where you want to start typing, then click the font color you want. Move the cursor between the two sets of color brackets and start typing. Clear as mud?
If so maybe one of the techy types will come to my rescue here. Kandee

--------------------

funny that... new
      #166067 - 04/01/05 07:42 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I just never use those products.. because I can't stand the subs... and never used them anyway except for cheese- they never agreed with me... there are plenty of other healthful options out there.. yes sometimes I get a bit sick of turkey, chicken, fish and beans for protein but it works...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Oh, look at that ... new
      #166132 - 04/01/05 10:45 AM
Sand

Quote:

A whole 'nother button. I must have looked at that a million times and it never clicked (tee-hee). Thanks.

And thanks for the Google search tip. Apparently that, also, was far too obvious for me - I only do about a million Google searches every day. (I need that little emoticon that's on my husband's game Website - it's a little yellow guy slapping his forehead. Somehow SHID just doesn't have the same impact.)

Quote:

I guess I'm going to have to revise my view of California. Tumbleweeds? yep

I've got a photobucket account, so if I ever figure out where to find some moving gifs, I've got someplace to put them. Do a google search on "free animated giffs" then just start searching. Once you find one, right click and save to your hard drive in the directory you want it to go into.

It seems to me that your flowers are dancing faster and faster as time goes by. Maybe they know their days are numbered. yep LOL

When you want to add the entire message to your reply instead of clicking "reply" to the right of the title of the message box, click "quote". That way the entire quote, colors and all, get into your reply. Others had to teach me this too...(I just didn't get it)..Anyway, then, if you want to comment in a different color, scroll down to where you want to make a comment and leave the cursor where you want to start typing, then click the font color you want. Move the cursor between the two sets of color brackets and start typing. Clear as mud?
If so maybe one of the techy types will come to my rescue here. Kandee

Way cool! Thanks, Kandee!

--------------------

I just want to say that I love this web site-nt new
      #166150 - 04/01/05 11:36 AM
cloudygirl

Loc: Washington

PS - Kandee, I got 1,270,000 hits on my Google search. That should do it. Thanks. -nt- new
      #166156 - 04/01/05 11:50 AM
Sand

--------------------

LMAO Sand..that ought to keep you busy a while...-nt- new
      #166311 - 04/01/05 08:26 PM
Kandee

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6534

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review