Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Caldin
      #165162 - 03/30/05 02:39 AM
Jennifer1946

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: Karachi - Pakistan

Hi folks
Here is a recipe I found which is famous in India.

CALDIN
1-1/2 lb. shrimps (clean)
3 ozs. coconut cream
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp tumeric powder
1/2 tsp. each garlic and ginger paste
1 medium onion (sliced)
2-3 green chillies (sliced in half)
tamarind paste and salt to taste

Method:
Mix coconut cream with one cup of warm water

To this add cumin, tumeric, garlic, ginger and mix well.

Fry the onion in a little oil, then add the above and green chillies and bring to a boil.

When it boils, add the shrimps and cook for 3-4 mins. Add tamarind juice and salt to taste.

Tip. When defrosting fish, place under a cold running tap, never hot.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Coconut new
      #165191 - 03/30/05 06:36 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't think coconut products (coconut itself, coconut cream, or coconut milk) are safe, but maybe someone else can jump in on this one. I know it's all very high in fat, which is bad enough for IBS, but I believe it's the kind of fat that makes it even worse.

Re: Coconut new
      #165339 - 03/30/05 12:36 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I know it's not polyunsaturated fats, but I thought the IBS problem was just the high levels of fat.

#165446 - 03/30/05 03:07 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I had out Eating For IBS, so I checked what Heather says about it. She lists Coconut Milk as a trigger because it is extremely high in fat and goes on to say that the fat is saturated. I would imagine a recipe with that in it would be safe as long as there was lots of SF and enough calories to cushion the fat - say if you served the Caldin over rice.

I looked up "coconut cream" and found that it's made from coconut milk plus milk or cream, simmered with coconut meat, then strained. I imagine you could use soy or rice milk, but I wouldn't begin to know how to calculate the fat content. Is this what you mean by "coconut cream", Jennifer? If so, do you know the fat content?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#165570 - 03/30/05 10:26 PM
Jennifer1946

Hi,
This is exactly what I meant about coconut cream. Yes I know it is a trigger item but eaten once in a while in limited quantities along with rice is fine. Jennifer

Although this is true... new
      #165582 - 03/31/05 01:37 AM
Linz

...for people that are still trying to stabilise, ALL triggers should be cut out or they can really set you back.

Re: Although this is true... new
      #165598 - 03/31/05 03:05 AM
Jennifer1946

I fully agree with you Linz, but this is a dish I make once a year as I have so many, many recipes with me and only try the non trigger items for the present. However once stabilized, I shall make those other trigger items just once as I like to eat this with rice.

in defense of coconut new
      #165618 - 03/31/05 05:32 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If you switched it to 1 cup lite coconut milk it would be 4 grams of fat per serving if it is 4 servings. Lite coconut milk has 4 grams of fat per 1/4c. So over rice that is real nice!
Furthermore use oil spray instead of oil and what is with the green chilis sliced in half? Wowsers.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I use coconut oil as a sub.. new
      #165683 - 03/31/05 09:27 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

for butter or margarine in recipes, since it's semi-solid...and tasteless....not much mind you because it IS a fat, but I do use it and it hasn't caused a problem. Most butter subs are soy based and I can't use them. Can't get Spectrum here which I understand is not soy based, so until that time will keep using coconut oil.

I'm still trying to find out what tamarind juice/liquid is

Kandee

--------------------

You can get Tamarind Soy Sauce.. new
      #165815 - 03/31/05 01:19 PM
Linz

...does that help any? I have no idea what I'm actually buying tho!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 326 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14146

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review