All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can't have Kinnikiak brand.....Dalia, Kandee, Amy, Abby, Augie, Taly.....and all...
      #162846 - 03/21/05 11:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

any other ideas for me? i have to eat wheat/gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, meat free (mostly), citrus free, AND Kosher! Kinnikiak (sp) pizza crust looked yum...but it's not Kosher.

We don' have a blender....so I can't even puree my veggies (thank G-d for Imagine Soup at Whole Foods!)

I am NOT that great in the kitchen...tho I'm certaibnly trying! PLEASE PLEASE send me recipes! Anything! I AM having fun experimenting with fresh herbs on a tomato, or a potato (can't eat too many of those either).....but any recipes/ideas wouild be fantastic!

It' a bit of a rough time for now as I had bread again yesterday and now I have to go through the whole process AGAIN of getting it out of my system AND saying good bye to the stuff.

Also...any tips on how to deal wth watching hubby eat his french bread without bursting into tears? it was one of my absolute fav foods!

Sorry so long......I know you guys are here to help. Thank G-d for Heather and the board!!!! *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Blenders and such new
      #162865 - 03/22/05 01:37 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm putting in my .02 as a kitchen gadget junkie. If you have a walmart or kmart or anything similar anywhere near you, you should be able to pick up a blender for about $10. It's totally worth it. But if you can't get one, and you happen to have a hand mixer, a mixer works very well for pureeing. And if THAT isn't an option either, invest a few dollars in a potato masher. Believe it or not, even though I have a blender, a mixer, AND a food processor, I still use my masher the most, because I like the texture it gives.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for the rest of it... I'm just not familiar enough with GF/Kosher foods.

I don't have any good suggestions for coping, either... just sympathy. The other night Adam was sitting next to me on the couch, eating some brownies that were definitely not safe. They smelled SO good, and all I could do was whimper.

Got your email, btw - will reply later today!

Blenders are fantastic! new
      #162866 - 03/22/05 01:48 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Si got me an inexpensive one for my birthday and I love it! So many things I can make...and it makes cooking easier on my Fibro! Guacamole is now a matter of seconds.

Blenders...thanks Casey and Linz! I love you guys!!!! new
      #162948 - 03/22/05 08:02 AM
Snow for Sarala

I will try to convince hubby. I have to go to WalMart today anyway...will look there WE DO have a masher....so maybe that's worth a go? I want to make chilled carrot soup today...we shall see.

Thanks again...with love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Oh yeah...mashers are great! new
      #162967 - 03/22/05 09:06 AM
Linz

I mainly prefer the blender as it saves my Fibro arms! But then you do sometimes need a dishwasher to get it clean without difficulty!

I got a NEW blender at the weekend! new
      #163049 - 03/22/05 01:02 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I meant to post about it! The lid broke on mine and it won't work unless the lid is closed right so I had to get a new one- I got exactly the same one but this one has a liquidiser on top for smoothies...mmm!
this is it

Padhraig thought it was hilarious how excited I was about it! I haven't used it yet which is truly remarkable for me! And the best bit..it only cost EUR 44.95/$58.83/GBP 31.20!

--------------------
S.

Ruchie, have sent you some recipies in an email. new
      #163133 - 03/22/05 07:22 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Hope they are helpful. If not PLEASE let me know and I'll come up with some other stuff. Hope this one gets to you.

--------------------
Amy

Amy, would you mind sending them to me as well new
      #163139 - 03/22/05 07:49 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I am pretty much as limited as you guys. I would so greatly appreciate it. Do you still have my email address?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Amy, would you mind sending them to me as well new
      #163502 - 03/23/05 07:20 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Yep sure do Beth. I'm not sure they'll be 100% tolerable to you but if there's anything wrong with them just let me know what you can/can't have and I'll have a look for some more. Hope you're doing okay, hugs and I'll just send that now.

--------------------
Amy

GF bread recipe: Ruchie, Amy, Abby, Augie... and all... new
      #163587 - 03/24/05 03:20 AM
Taylahmai

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Ruchie, I made a really yummy GF loaf of bread today from scratch, and its full of fibre:

3 cups of GF plain flour (I used Orgran)
1 1/4 cups buckwheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cracked buckwheat
3/4 cup sunflower seeds (optional, depends how your tummy handles them)
70 g butter, chopped
1 1/2 cups rice or soy milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten (or egg replacement, Ruchie)
2 teaspoons poppy seeds (optional)

Sift flours, baking powder and salt into bowl, stir in cracked buckwheat and sunflower kernals (optional).

Rub in butter, stir in combined milk and eggs until just combined

Press mixture into greased loaf pan. Brush with a little extra milk, sprinkle with poppyseeds (optional).

Bake in moderate oven about 1 hour. Stand bread for 10 mins before turning onto wire rack to cool.

The bread is a little crumbly, as all GF bread is, but its really soft and full of nutty flavour, yummm. Plus its full of fibre, which is good for C tummies.

If a strong tasting bread isn't your thing tho, are you able to get hold of Orgran Bread Mix? Orgran is an Aussie company but they export all over the world. This bread mix is really easy to make, and produces a really soft white loaf. It's not as good as traditional white bread of course, but its a close as we're going to get!

Have fun!! And when watching hubby devour a piece of french bread, just think of how many preservatives are in it, and how evil it is. Don't be a slave to your tastebuds!! LOL, easier said then done I know. Be strong sweety, we're here for you.

--------------------
~ Live life, don't let life live you ~

GF savoury muffins: Ruchie, Amy, Abby, Augie.....and all... new
      #163589 - 03/24/05 03:40 AM
Taylahmai

Hi again.

I had SO MUCH fun cooking today, was just what the soul needed I made some delicious savoury muffins, recipes as promised Ruchie.

Peppered zucchini, carrot and leek muffins

1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium leek, sliced
1 zucchini, grated
1 carrot, grated
2 tsp garlic
2 cups GF self raising flour
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
3 tbsp oil, extra
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 cup rice or soy milk (I didn't need a whole cup tho, so just pour in enough to make a batter)

Heat oil in pan, add leek, zucchini, carrot and garlic, cook stirring until leek is soft and liquid evaporated.

Sift flour, curry powder and spices into a bowl, stir in zucchini mixture, then eggs, oil and milk.

Spoon mixture into pan, bake in moderately hot oven about 20 mins.

Roasted capsicum, chickpea and spinach muffins

1 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped (optional)
2 tsp garlic
2 cups baby spinach
2 red capsicum
2 cups SR flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups rice or soy milk
1/4 cup oil, extra
300g can chickpeans, drained and rinsed

Quarter capsicums, remove seeds and membranes. Grill, skin side up, until skin blisters and blackens. Peel skin away, roughly chop.

Heat oil in pan, add onion and garlic, cook stirring until onion is soft. Add spinach, cook until spinach is just wilted.

Sift flour and cornmeal into a bowl, stir in basil, egg, milk and oil, then spinach mixture, capsicum and chickpeas.

Spoon mixture into pan, bake in moderately hot oven about 20 mins.

I find these muffins are a perfect way to get lots of veges in my diet. They might not quite be your thing, so if they sound a bit too adventerous, try:

Just adding 2 grated carrots & 2 zucchinis to the basic muffin mixture above (which is the SR flour, oil, eggs and milk).

Or try grated carrot and banana.

If you can't get GF self raising flour, then use 1 tbsp GF baking powder to every 2 cups of plain flour (eg rice, corn, buckwheat, potato, tapioca).

Happy cooking!!

Luv T xxxxxx

--------------------

Important note!! new
      #163590 - 03/24/05 03:47 AM
Taylahmai

Whoops, forgot about the egg yolks (which I tolerate fine in cooking). Egg replacement can be used instead of the eggs in these recipes or just use the egg whites.

--------------------

Cool! new
      #163621 - 03/24/05 05:42 AM
Linz

That looks a lot like mine, but I don't have the blender attachment. I get being excited...blenders are cool! And soooo useful for IBS.

To Chrissy, the gourmet chef! new
      #163712 - 03/24/05 09:44 AM
Snow for Sarala

I will try to work up the courage to make these recipes. I bought a gluten free bread mix....we'll see how that goes THEN if I can make that....I'll try stuff from scratch!

Thank you SOOOO much for the recipes. Wish you lived closer....we could cook together!

Thanks again...hope you're feeling GREAT! P.S. How are your sunnies?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie, about GF bread mixes.. new
      #163737 - 03/24/05 11:24 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I will try to work up the courage to make these recipes. I bought a gluten free bread mix....we'll see how that goes THEN if I can make that....I'll try stuff from scratch!

Ruchie, if it's a yeast bread you're making don't use all the water or milk the mix calls for at first (you can later add a tablespoon at a time if you need it)......you want the dough to be like a thick frosting and beat it as long as you can with a mixer or by hand to incorporate air into the mixture. Also have all ingredients at room temperature. If you have them, or can buy cheap (like at the 99cent store--but not disposables) use small loaf pans as well. GF yeast bread likes smaller pans and not to be to runny or it will fall. All this has been learned from experience as a beginner. As you get more advanced you can experiment to your heart's content. The key is to have a success...if you have to many failures it will turn you off from GF baking. Kandee

Thank you SOOOO much for the recipes. Wish you lived closer....we could cook together!

Thanks again...hope you're feeling GREAT! P.S. How are your sunnies?

--------------------

Re: GF savoury muffins: Ruchie, Amy, Abby, Augie.....and all... new
      #163739 - 03/24/05 11:26 AM
Kandee

Ewww, nice recipes Chrissy, especially for someone that wants to cut out sugar!

Thanks,

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Ruchie, about GF bread mixes.. new
      #163747 - 03/24/05 11:46 AM
Snow for Sarala

THANK YOU THANK YOU Kandee! *hugs*

I am hoping to have my 1st go at it this Sunday. I will let you know if I do!

Do you have Celiac Kandee? I joined that Australian Celiac Group on yahoo that you mentioned in a previous thread when I did a search for GF. Any books/sites you recommend? any tips? I had mustard yesterday and it HURT and I coudn't figure out why. Then I foud out mustard is not gluten free...

Funny story: I went to the HFS yesterday. I asked if the Imagine Soups were GF. They told me no and wouldn't let me have them back! Thelady took them off the conveyer belt and put them aside! LOL it was very cute!

Thanks again Kandee *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ruchie, about GF bread mixes.. new
      #163827 - 03/24/05 03:56 PM
Kandee

Quote:

THANK YOU THANK YOU Kandee! *hugs* You're welcome.

I am hoping to have my 1st go at it this Sunday. I will let you know if I do! good luck, and yes, let us know how your bread turns out

Do you have Celiac Kandee? Gluten intolerant, yes. Celiac Disease? Don't know but the gliadin test, despite being wheat free was positive.(That proves there is a big difference between just being wheat free and gluten free....all those additives and barley, rye, etc.) They can't do an endoscope biopsy because I can't handle the gluten challenge diet...I'd end up in ER. I've been allergic (high IgE) to wheat for 26 years. The first 8 of those I didn't touch even so much as a crumb, then I could handle a tiny amount once a week without a severe attack... but time never changed my sensitivity to it.
I joined that Australian Celiac Group on yahoo that you mentioned in a previous thread when I did a search for GF. Good for you..but it wasn't me. I think it was bevp that posted it...look for her posts for some good info. Any books/sites you recommend? There are lots of groups with many helpful people, like the delphi group and the Celiac.com group. Donna Korn is a great source and if Phx is included on her speaking tour go see her. I saw your quote from her--excellent. any tips? I had mustard yesterday and it HURT and I couldn't figure out why. Then I foud out mustard is not gluten free... Some are, some aren't. Here is a good list.

Funny story: I went to the HFS yesterday. I asked if the Imagine Soups were GF. They told me no and wouldn't let me have them back! Thelady took them off the conveyer belt and put them aside! LOL it was very cute! Where? Whole foods? Nice to know someone is thinking!! Kandee

Thanks again Kandee *hugs*

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 325 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11955

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review