All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Will's Dreamy Lemon Rice Pudding
      #16219 - 08/04/03 01:51 PM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

I've been making recipes from Eating For IBS daily since I got it a month ago, and had great success with everything—except Will's Dreamy Rice Pudding. Before I attempt it again, I thought I would ask for input on what I might have done wrong.
It had lost all of its "puff" by the time it was done and was just a gooey mass. I suspect my overbeating the egg whites might have contributed (?), or over-whisking the mixture once I had added the rice??
Looking forward to trying it again,
Linda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Will's Dreamy Lemon Rice Pudding new
      #16356 - 08/05/03 12:23 PM

Unregistered

Hi

That's what happens when I make it too! I just stir it up when I go to eat it. Sometimes I add extra rice so it wont be as wet the day after.

#16446 - 08/06/03 09:12 AM
NewYrsBB

Reged: 04/15/03

Hi,

THis is one of my favorite recipes - I make it all the time. I usually add 4 cups of fat free soy milk and 2 cups water, and I let it simmer (while stirring fairly constantly) for a good 30-40 minutes to thicken it up. This gets it past the "soupy" stage.

Good luck!

Meg

--------------------
++++++

#16886 - 08/10/03 02:15 PM
LindaLouise

Thanks for your advice, Meg.
So when you take it off the stove, has all the "poof"of the egg whites gone? Or does that mean I've over-stirred it?? (Maybe because the egg whites are beaten first, I'm assuming they should stay sort of visible, as in a soufflé. ???
Linda

#17087 - 08/12/03 02:34 PM
NewYrsBB

Reged: 04/15/03

Linda,

It takes a good 25 minutes of simmering on low heat for the egg whites to "simmer down" (LOL). I made a batch on Sunday and for some reason it took even longer. Patience is the key, I found!

Good luck!

--------------------
++++++

#17340 - 08/15/03 02:27 AM
Will

Reged: 01/25/03
Loc: Seattle, Wa

Hi there,

Heather has been beating me over the head to get on the board and help you with my rice pudding. Just a word of warning, it is hard for me to always find the time to post but I promise to try my best and be responsive.

I haven't made this recipe in a while because we have been so busy; actually, Heather works me to death so you guys should talk to her about that.

I will give you a couple of tips and then I will try to make it in the next week so I am sure of what I am talking about.

First, I would suggest trying to make the Cantonese Jok, this will help you get the feel of working with rice. Actually, this pudding was inspired by the Jok my Sifu taught me to make. He is the most incredible man I have ever met and I regard him as my father!
By the way, if you are really sick, this is the recipe you should be making for yourself. It is actually a healing food in the Chinese Five Element healing tradition for spleen imbalance and weakness. Your spleen also supports your stomach/pancreas strength.

Second, I was reading Eating for IBS and there might be a mistake that I will have to verify by making the recipe to make sure. Anyway, the beaten eggs need to be folded in at the very end. The idea is that it doesn't take long for the eggs to cook and you only want to cook them long enough to do so.

Which brings me to third. To temper the eggs you have to take a little of the hot milk out and set aside to temper just before you add the whipped eggs to the rice mixture. After you set aside the soy milk mixture (for tempering) add your rice a little at a time to the rest to the almost boiling soy (maybe one cup, then the next and so on) so that you can beat the mixture without it getting too heavy in the wisk. Let the rice cook a little to soften it up and then beat it. This breaks it down and is the basis for the pudding. If you have made the Jok like I said, you will have a better idea of what I am talking about. You see, some of the rice will cook down more making the pudding and some of the rice will cook down less and some of the rice will cook even less so you have something too chew on a bit.

Anyway, once all of the rice is added and the whole thing is starting to thicken (this takes a while and I really beat all of this up. Get yourself a large wire whisk; almost impossible without one) I add the tempered (whipped to soft peaks) eggs being careful to fold it in. The whole thing should only have to cook another 5 to 10 minutes and you should see the right consistency at this point.

To temper, whip in the hot soy milk lightly, just enough to get it mixed together. You will have to reheat it as it will have cooled down too much.

Good luck. If you make this right, I believe you will go out of your mind with the results and won't be able to stop talking about it. Forgive me but, truth be told, it is the best rice pudding I have ever had and rice pudding has always been my favorite since I can remember.

William the Rice Pudding Man

Edited by Heather (08/15/03 12:39 PM)

#17561 - 08/17/03 07:08 AM
LindaLouise

Hi, Will. I am very appreciative of your taking the time to respond to my query! I, too, love rice pudding, and really am keen to make this one work. I will definitely try the Cantonese Jok first.

I think you are quite right that there is an error in the cookbook. It says to add the tempered egg whites BEFORE the rice, and you are saying they go in near the end, which makes perfect sense as otherwise, as I found, they disintegrate. (I'm even wondering if they need to be cooked at all? Before my ibs days, my husband used to make a lovely tapioca pudding in which you removed the tapioca/egg/milk mixture from the heat at the end of the cooking time, and THEN folded in the beaten egg whites. The egg whites were beaten with sugar which gave them more integrity, I think, in terms of withstanding the heat and mass of the tapioca.)

Also, a couple of questions: you say in your email to FOLD in the egg whites. Do you just use a spoon, or a whisk? Do you fold them into the entire mixture, or just sort of the top layer of it so as not to lose their perkiness? And do you continue to whisk the mixture frequently after folding them in, or just let the whole thing meditate? When you say "right consistency," am I looking at the end for sort of a soufflé type consistency in which the whites are still fluffy?

Both I and my husband enjoy cooking, and are loving the recipes from the two books, having made about 30 of them in the last 6 weeks with great success. This is the only one that I've had trouble with, and I think once I "get it," it'll be a favourite! So thanks again for taking the time to give me such a full reply.
Linda

#17931 - 08/21/03 01:07 AM
Will

Reged: 01/25/03
Loc: Seattle, Wa

Hi Linda,

I just use the whisk to fold them in and into the whole thing. You will find that the fluffiness will go down as you mix it in and that can't be helped. I do not continue to mix it – just enough to incorporate the eggs and turning down the heat so it can just sit a bit (I might have just turned the heat off all together, I can't remember). I like the term meditate. The Chinese might say something like "cook your food the way you want it to please your mouth" so, a mellow pudding might turn out best by cooking it gently and "letting it meditate".

Yes, the right consistency might be compared to a chocolate mousse.

I am anxious to hear how it comes out, let me know.

Will the Pudding Man

PS – Use short grain sushi rice – this is important or it will not come out, also use good soy milk. Watch out for brands that use too much oil and sugar. I think I used Pacific plain. The milk can really be a factor so trying plain can give you a base line to work from. I have had brands that are plain and are still sweet, so a vanilla one can really mess things up. Companies sweeten things to make them taste better, or cover up for poor ingredients. It's a shame because they are really just marketing tricks since most people are so hooked on sugar they can't taste or enjoy simple foods anymore. This recipe should be really soothing and comforting and make you feel good long after you eat it.

#18527 - 08/25/03 04:38 PM
LindaLouise

Thanks, Will, for the clarification on the Dreamy Rice Pud. I'm looking forward to trying both the Jok soup and this one, and I'll definitely let you know how they turn out! (Meanwhile I've been enjoying Heather's great pecan and banana rice pud).
Linda

#67922 - 05/05/04 02:45 PM
Sherbelle

Reged: 04/20/04
Loc: Arkansas

The recipe definitely says to add the egg whites and then simmer for 20 minutes...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5552

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review