All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
sticky rice
      #160365 - 03/14/05 09:18 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Does anyone know what this is? A friend of mine gave me a bag & I tried making it like regular rice & it was very hard. Is this the same as short grain white rice that can be used in Wills Pudding? what else can I do with it & how do I cook it. I use a rice cooker/steamer
thanks
Meryl

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sticky rice new
      #160395 - 03/14/05 10:46 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

glutinous rice = sticky rice = sushi rice = sweet rice = Chinese sweet rice = waxy rice = botan rice = mochi rice = Japanese rice = pearl rice Equivalents: One cup dried rice yields two cups cooked rice. Notes: Despite its name, this rice isn't sweet and it doesn't contain gluten. Instead, it's a very sticky, short-grain rice that is widely used by Asians, who use it to make sushi and various desserts. You can buy this as either white or black (actually a rust color) rice. Substitutes: risotto rice (works well in sushi) OR short-grain rice (This also works well in sushi, as long as you use white rice. Brown short-grain rice doesn't stick together as well.) OR medium-grain rice (Also good for sushi)

web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#160424 - 03/14/05 11:58 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have used sweet rice to make the rice pudding and it turned out fine. I added extra brown sugar, cinnamon and doubled the soy milk. I can't remember if it's cuz it tasted better or if it had to be done for that type of rice.

Good luck, you may have to adapt but it does work!!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#160503 - 03/14/05 03:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Maybe you should add more water to the rice cooker. It shuts off when the water is absorbed and not when the rice is soft necessarily. Just a thought.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#161094 - 03/16/05 10:26 AM
Meryl36

your right. I made this the other night & it came out hard. I'll have to try again or maybe just make it on the stove & not in the rice cooker.
thanks for the advice.
Meryl

if it is like sushi rice new
      #161162 - 03/16/05 12:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

you can use this recipe to cook it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: if it is like sushi rice new
      #161198 - 03/16/05 02:13 PM
Meryl36

thanks I'll try that

sticky rice is more common in vietnamese cooking new
      #161369 - 03/17/05 06:04 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I see sticky rice something or other in vietnamese restaurants oftern. I grew up in Japan and don't remember sticky rice at all.

I know in the vietnamese retaurants they make a sticky rice ball and deep fry or bake it so a "shell" forms on the outside but it is still sticky on the inside. It isn't on my favorites list!

Were there cooking directions on the bag? I buy my rice at our asian market here in Houston but there are always directions on the back of the bag...in English.

--------------------
"puffy"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3723

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review