All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
PLEASE can someone help me?
      #159987 - 03/12/05 08:29 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'm on this dairy free, sugar free, wheat free diet atm (not GF just wheat free) and also can't have spices or preservatives. I'd really like some applesauce muffins or something to munch on for snacks. Is it possible to make dairy, wheat and sugar free muffins or would they be so gross you wouldn't bother? And if they're okay has anyone got a recipie for me? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help.

--------------------
Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: PLEASE can someone help me? new
      #159989 - 03/12/05 08:40 PM
fitforexcellence

Reged: 03/11/05

It just so happens I am on the same type of diet as well. I have found some great substitutes at particular health food stores around here. I use Atkins soy baking mix, granular stevita (a supplement sweetener great for baking and derived from stevia leaf - I use 1/4 cup to every cup of sugar) and then just use rice or soy milk in place of any milk that is required. With those alternatives I can eat the things I miss eating. And of course, the flour is something that you can experiment with too b/c there are other wheat alternatives like spelt and brown rice flour.

With those substitutions... new
      #160005 - 03/12/05 11:05 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I *think* there's a recipe in the Recipe Index for muffins made with rice flour... I bet those could be easily modified to work with the sugar-free thing, since they're already safe for IBS'ers. You might even try making a half-batch without sweetener at all - for a little while I wasn't eating sugar, and so I left it right out of muffins, and I thought they tasted fine. But that's just me - I don't like sweet muffins anyway, so...

Just a thought.

Yeah, here we go... new
      #160006 - 03/12/05 11:07 PM
atomic rose

Rice flour muffins

They're pretty low-sugar already, so you could probably leave it right out, especially if you put some ripe fruit into it. I think I may try these tomorrow - I'll let you know how they come out if I do!

Thank you! Unfotuately and but.... new
      #160028 - 03/13/05 01:19 AM
doubletrouble

I can't tolerate soy at all (big cramps and major D attacks). I'm also not allowed any fruit except apple atm but maybe I can put a bit of dried apple from the health food store in? And leave the sugar out (no sugar alternatives either plus they make me "go"). Right off to the shop tomorrow. Will still be interested to see how yours turn out Casey!

--------------------
Amy

More thoughts... new
      #160054 - 03/13/05 05:15 AM
atomic rose

I've substituted fruit juice for milk products in baked goods in the past, and surprisingly, it usually works. If you can have apple, try apple juice instead of the soy milk. An added bonus is that it'll make it a little sweeter.

I'd say you can likely have dried apple, if apples are ok. Just be sure to chop it up small. You could also use diced fresh apple - again, I think that would add some natural sweetness.

You'll also want to use a little of the oil. I would use 1 tbsp instead of the 2 called for in the recipe - use applesauce for the rest. The oil will improve the texture.

Ok... I'm off to make these now and I'll report back!

THE VERDICT new
      #160071 - 03/13/05 06:24 AM
atomic rose

I made mine with rice milk, 1 tbsp of the oil, NO sugar, and a mashed banana. I like them! To me, they were sweet enough. I would decrease the salt to 1/4 tsp though - they seem salty. I might even consider decreasing the baking soda and adding some baking powder instead.

My recommendation as far as the fruit goes would be to use at least 1/2 cup diced apple, maybe even as much as 1 cup. The muffins are very plain without anything in them.

Thanks Casey. (Edited after cooking) My Verdict. new
      #160197 - 03/13/05 07:19 PM
doubletrouble

I held my breath opening your post in case you said they were revolting! Whew. I bought the apple this morning so will try cooking them after I get Kahlea from school. Hope mine turn out as good.
Okay. So I've cooked them. I made them with orgran wheat and gluten free self raising flour, a bit more than 1/2 cup of apple pieces (which have a preservative in them so I probably shouldn't have) and used a bit of baking powder (which I didn't realise made things raise so I have HUGE muffins ) They taste pretty good. I did what you said. One tablespoon oil and just a few grinds of salt. I might try adding some applesauce in place of some of the rice milk next time just to give them a bit more flavour around the pieces of apple. Thank you so much for finding this recipe for me. You've saved my sanity!

--------------------
Amy

Edited by doubletrouble (03/13/05 10:37 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2161

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review