All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What is basmati rice?
      #159425 - 03/10/05 07:43 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I have a sweet rice that I use for rice pudding and it turns out super yummy.

Then I have white rice as well as wild rice. What is basmati? Am I missing out on something really good here LOL

TIA

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is basmati rice? new
      #159446 - 03/10/05 08:25 PM
Kac

Reged: 01/18/04

Basmati rice is GOOD rice
I never use regular white anymore - I use Jasmine or Basmati. I find mine in bulk in the health food section of my grocery store. Sometimes I will use some Japanese sushi rice when I feel like a real sticky one. I use that when I make the cucumbers with vinegar and sugar that are in Heather's Eating for IBS cookbook.

Re: What is basmati rice? new
      #159457 - 03/10/05 09:27 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

UUmmm... basmati is so yummy!! I JUST ate some with dinner...

basmati rice Pronunciation: bahs-MAH-tee Notes: This aromatic, long-grain rice is grown in the foothills of the Himalayas and is especially popular in India. The cooked grains are dry and fluffy, so they make a nice bed for curries and sauces. Basmati is available as either white or brown rice. Brown basmati has more fiber and a stronger flavor, but it takes twice as long to cook. Aged basmati rice is better, but more expensive. Equivalents: One cup dried rice yields three cups cooked rice. Substitutes: popcorn rice (slightly milder than basmati) OR jasmine rice ( has shorter grain than basmati, somewhat stickier; cooks slightly faster) OR long-grain rice (less expensive) OR wild pecan rice

web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

ditto new
      #159534 - 03/11/05 06:05 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I use jasmine almost exclusively but sometimes basmati if I am making Indian. I buy jasmine rice in 25# sacks as we eat so much of it. It makes it really cheap.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1764

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review