All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sugar free cereal bar recipe, anyone?
      #158594 - 03/09/05 03:55 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I was wondering if I could make my own cereal bars and make them sugar-free. There must be a recipe for this kind of thing somewhere! Any hints welcome.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

The problem... new
      #158612 - 03/09/05 05:11 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...is that the sweetener is often what binds the bar together. I just did a google search for ideas, and actually turned up absolutely nothing - even the one "sugar free" bar I found a recipe for still contained honey (although in a small amount) to bind it together.

I would say it's possible to make reduced-sugar bars, but not completely sugar-free. But maybe someone else will have more input on that one. Amie?

Oh! new
      #158616 - 03/09/05 05:29 AM
Linz

I was thinking of probably using honey, just not refined sugar! One step at a time, okay? I'm doing this for Fibro health reasons, not dieting, and I'm not even sure that honey is to be avoided at all.

Ahh, gotcha! new
      #158645 - 03/09/05 06:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

In that case, the recipe I found used a teaspoon of honey and a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed together, as what bound it together. I know you do fats better than some of us do, so that might actually work for you - I have no idea how much cereal you could add to that before it just wouldn't stick anymore. (The recipe I saw was using plain oatmeal, 1 oz.) It also had some chopped dried fruit in it, which is sticky and would help hold things together, but I'm not sure how you do with that, so...

How about brown rice syrup? I know that's used in vegan baking to hold things like crispy treats together, since they don't use marshmallows.

That sounds great! new
      #158654 - 03/09/05 07:05 AM
Linz

I think I'll pick up some cereal grains and experiment this w/e!

Re: Sugar free cereal bar recipe, anyone? new
      #158705 - 03/09/05 09:15 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05

I know my mum has some recipes that use apple juice instead of sugar- I'll check with her and see. I'm hoping to do something similar myself- too much sugar in the only ones I can buy for my liking.

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Linz...a thought new
      #158732 - 03/09/05 09:56 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

If you're IBS C honey may be great foryou! It is a natural laxative. Just a thought on that.......

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 324 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1926

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review