All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Entree Meats
      #157413 - 03/06/05 06:30 AM
Stonegate

Reged: 06/30/04
Loc: Lawrence, Kansas

Other than chicken and fish, what other meats can we eat? I'm putting together a meal plan for my wife and I and so far it's either fish or chicken. What suggestions do you have for variety?

--------------------
Sometimes I walk backwards to see where I have been!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Turkey new
      #157419 - 03/06/05 07:01 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

That's really about the only other one, but it's the most versatile. Other than roasting a turkey breast, you can also buy ground turkey - be sure to buy a leaner one - and use it for meatloaf, meatballs, burgers, just about anything you would have used ground beef for.

I also find that I can tolerate some of the low-fat dark-meat turkey products put out by Jennie-O - specifically, the turkey ham, which I absolutely LOVE.

After a year or so of that, though, I'm starting to branch out into vegetarian foods, honestly, because those are our only "meat" options. So for variety, I'm trying to eat at least 2 meatless meals a week - whether that means something totally meatless, like pasta with sauce, or something with a vegetable protein such as tofu, lentils, or beans. These aren't things you'd want to jump right into eating if you're just starting out on the diet, but it's options to keep in mind.

Re: Turkey new
      #157425 - 03/06/05 07:52 AM
Stonegate

Reged: 06/30/04
Loc: Lawrence, Kansas

Thanks for the options. You mention beans, lentils, what beans are we allowed?

--------------------
Sometimes I walk backwards to see where I have been!

Any! new
      #157440 - 03/06/05 09:09 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Beans are insolubles... and insolubles aren't "forbidden", in fact they're very necessary to our diets, they just have to be eaten safely - with lots of soluble fiber.

Because beans/legumes are notoriously gassy, introduce them slowly if you decide to give them a try. I wouldn't jump right in with a pot of bean soup. When I was reintroducing them, I actually tried some baked beans for lunch with plenty of good bread (I grew up eating beans and bread as an occasional dinner, so that's not weird for me!). Something like that, that's flavorful but not overly spicy, might be a good idea. Beans and rice, a classic combination, would also be good - if it's homemade, you can vary the spices to suit your taste.

Re: Entree Meats new
      #157466 - 03/06/05 10:09 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Keep in mind too that there are lots of diffrent kinds of fish, which are all safe. A salmon dinner and a cod or haddock dinner can be quite different for variety!

Re: Entree Meats new
      #157499 - 03/06/05 02:00 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There are other kinds of poultry too. Like Casey mentioned turkey but try game hens, pheasant and in a low fat meal goose and duck if prepared with as little grease as possible could work too. Seafood is not the same as fish: lobster, different kinds of crab, scallops and shrimp/prawns. YUM! Canned crab crabcakes are good too. As our canned salmon patties.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 208 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1855

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review