All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Just plain ol' unbleached all-purpose flour new
      #216526 - 09/29/05 10:40 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

To be totally honest, I've never even used bread flour, so I'm not sure how it would come out in a bread machine. But hey, you could always try it one day, if you're feeling experimental.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spinach Bread.... new
      #216556 - 09/29/05 11:44 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Casey, dear. Try this one: web page I think Melitami is quite partial to this one.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Yes! new
      #216597 - 09/29/05 12:43 PM
atomic rose

I tried that one and it is SO GOOD. I definitely see what she was raving about! In fact, I can't make it now, because I tend to snack on it uncontrollably, and I'm back to dieting so that would be a bad idea... heh.

Hope you're doing well, btw, Alicia... you've been in my thoughts. *hugs*

Re: Yes! new
      #216600 - 09/29/05 12:49 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

Thanks, Casey. I don't know if you've been in the Living Room, but I'm going through an extremely rough time. Someone has hurt me terribly and I'm fighting off a depression. Thank you for your good thoughts. I'm going to try your apple bread tonight.
Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Just plain ol' unbleached all-purpose flour new
      #216643 - 09/29/05 04:48 PM
Grandma

Reged: 09/29/05
Loc: MO

I'm new to the board and feeling a little overwhelmed by all the wonderful information...so much to learn! I came across some info about the difference between all-purpose & bread flour...see below

"What is the difference between bread flour and all-purpose flour? Can they be interchanged?

Bread flour is a high-gluten flour that has very small amounts of malted barley flour and vitamin C or potassium bromate added. The barley flour helps the yeast work, and the other additive increases the elasticity of the gluten and its ability to retain gas as the dough rises and bakes. Bread flour is called for in many bread and pizza crust recipes where you want the loftiness or chewiness that the extra gluten provides. It is especially useful as a component in rye, barley and other mixed-grain breads, where the added lift of the bread flour is necessary to boost the other grains.

All-purpose flour is made from a blend of high- and low-gluten wheats, and has a bit less protein than bread flour — 11% or 12% vs. 13% or 14%. You can always substitute all-purpose flour for bread flour, although your results may not be as glorious as you had hoped. There are many recipes, however, where the use of bread flour in place of all-purpose will produce a tough, chewy, disappointing result. Cakes, for instance, are often made with all-purpose flour, but would not be nearly as good made with bread flour. "

I'll make this bread soon, and use the bread flour as I need to use it up. I'll let you know how it turned out

Re: Or... new
      #216649 - 09/29/05 05:11 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05

If you can't tolerate oats (which I can't), you could simply subsitute the banana's with 3 cups of applesauce in Heather's 'Banana Bread' recipe!

--------------------
IBS-C

Casey help! new
      #221550 - 10/27/05 05:47 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I finally tried making this last night and boy, did I do SOMETHING wrong! Btw, I used only 2T sugar and I used water instead of apple juice, plus I had to omit the nutmeg as I'd run out.

BUT....it came out sunken and tasteless. I used the full white bread program (4 hours) instead of the rapid (1 hour 55) - was that wrong?

And was 1.5 teaspoons bread machine yeast right? That seemed an awful lot.

Hmm.... new
      #221556 - 10/27/05 06:45 AM
atomic rose

You know, I'm not sure. As far as the blandness, I think using the full amount of sugar and spices (I would have substituted something else for the nutmeg - cinnamon, ginger, allspice, anything) would help. But the sunkenness is usually an indication of a yeast-related problem: water too hot or too cool, or old yeast. But usually it's the water temperature.

Also, I've gotten sunken bread in the past when the dough rose up too high during the second rise/bake cycle, and it hit the top of the machine; it deflates and then doesn't rise back up again, so that might be the problem.

And yep, 1 1/2 teaspoons is the right amount, although I don't know if your teaspoons and our teaspoons are a different measure!

The bake cycle you picked was right, btw. I wouldn't use the rapid cycle for this.

Good luck! I hate trying to figure out what went wrong when a loaf of bread comes out screwy, bread machine or by hand - it's always such a mystery to me, lol!

Re: Applesauce Bread (bread machine) new
      #250070 - 03/05/06 06:05 AM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I would like to try this recipe, it sounds really good, but my question is, all of the recipes that I have tried, have either oil or margarine in them. Don't you need some kind of fat to make it moist?

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Nope, you do not. Fat is totally unnecessary in bread. -nt- new
      #250286 - 03/06/06 01:37 PM
atomic rose

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 249 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 42962

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review