All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Substitute question
      #152913 - 02/22/05 12:55 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Hello - Ive recently went on a Gluten free diet so Im trying to convert a lot of the recipes Ive found to IBS safe recipes also. I want to make some donuts and breads and was wondering what to us for the following:

For some donuts the recipe calls for 1/2 c. oil - is there anything I can do to change this, can I use applesauce instead?

Another recipe for donuts calls for 1 tbsp. shortening - are there any subs for this?

Also what about 6 TBSP. of oil?

So mainly I guess Im trying to figure out how to sub out oil with applesauce in any recipe....any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Substitute question new
      #152918 - 02/22/05 01:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hmm I have never seen a low fat donut recipe in my life. For breads, applesauce can be substituted (for dessert breads that is) but a Tablespoon or 2 of canola oil is good to leave in.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Substitute question new
      #152940 - 02/22/05 02:35 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You can try going half and half with oil and applesauce in recipes for quick breads and things like donuts and cakes. Like LM said, it's good to leave *some* oil in - it helps the texture, and it also keeps them fresher longer.

I'm assuming the donut recipe you're trying is a baked donut recipe? Fried donuts wouldn't be safe even with an oil reduction in the batter.

The only thing that doesn't work with the oil/applesauce thing is cookies, for the most part. For something like that, your best bet is to use a cookie recipe that's already low-fat to begin with, like a biscotti or some of the things that have been posted on here.

Good luck!

Here you go new
      #152975 - 02/22/05 05:09 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Hello - Ive recently went on a Gluten free diet so Im trying to convert a lot of the recipes Ive found to IBS safe recipes also. I want to make some donuts and breads and was wondering what to us for the following:

For some donuts the recipe calls for 1/2 c. oil - is there anything I can do to change this, can I use applesauce instead? Use half oil, half applesauce.

Another recipe for donuts calls for 1 tbsp. shortening - are there any subs for this?

Also what about 6 TBSP. of oil? Ah, what do you mean by this? What recipe calls for this much?

So mainly I guess Im trying to figure out how to sub out oil with applesauce in any recipe....any suggestions?
These have been GF tested using the Bob's All purpose GF baking mix, and I can tell you they are fantastic. They're baked of course. I've used both oil and coconut oil (which is semi-solid) and either works fine since it's such a tiny amount. I made the Spice and Chocolate ones..even glazed the chocolate ones..yum. Hope you have a donut pan or two. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Here you go new
      #152997 - 02/22/05 07:12 PM
abby82

This is exactly what I was looking for! I was trying to find a recipe that might taste like the donuts I bought from Kinnikinnick - Thanks so much!

Abby new
      #153259 - 02/23/05 12:25 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

The Kinnikinnick donuts are great and only 4 grams fat, but so very expensive. And I only get the plain or scrape the frosting off because the frosted ones are painfully sweet. It hurts my teeth to eat those!

If you have any converted recipes from Kandee, would you mind emailing them to me? I am anxious to make some recipes but don't know how to use GF substitutions. I know she was going to test some out for you and send you the "GF safe" recipe. My email is deerbeth@yahoo.com

How are you going to make these donuts GF safe? What is your recipe for these? Are you using a GF mix and how much xanthum gum do you add? I think Bob's Red Mill mix is too gassy for me as it contains bean flour as the first ingredient!

Also, gluten free pantry has a great angel food cake mix with 0 grams fat! Just add water and vanilla. Yummy and safe. I know you love your Angel Food Cake!

Thanks!
Beth

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Abby new
      #153456 - 02/23/05 07:49 PM
abby82

Hi Beth - I LOVE Kinnikinnick donuts! I only eat about a 1/2 of one a day though cause the whole eggs scare me. Ive been ok so far with them though. Im not really sure how Im going to make these donuts but I am going to try as soon as I get my donut pans in the mail. I have it written down somewhere but I think its something like 1/4 tsp of xantham gum per cup of flour (Im going to use Bette Hagmans GF all purpose flour mix) Im not sure about any of this though - Im only starting out so everything is kind of mixed up in my head right now. Im on day 4 of the GF diet right now and its definitely been hard! Kandee hasnt sent me any recipes yet - she said she wanted to test the two chocalate recipes out first before she sends them to me but I think she said she would send the banana bread recipe soon. If she doesnt send them to you I will and Ill also let you know how the donuts turn out! - Stacey

Thanks Abby new
      #153460 - 02/23/05 08:00 PM
Augie

Yes, I only eat 1/2 or even 1/4 a donut on one day too.

Just to let you know, their breads and rolls are all made with whole eggs, but I try not to worry about it since the overall fat content is low. It's not like eating an entire egg at once, which is what I think Heather is warning against. When it is split amongst 14 pieces a bread, the amount shouldn't be a trigger, hopefully! Because I've been eating their breads and rolls for over a year!

Can I ask which GF bread you are eating that doesn't contain eggs? I might need to think about switching.

I also use Bette Hagemans mix!!! But I make it myself (pain) by buying all the ingredients seperately and mixing them myself. But I think it's cheaper this way. And sometimes I like to mix the rice flour and make it 1/2 white and 1/2 brown rice in the mix.

Where did you order Bette's mix from? I can't find it in the stores pre mixed already. And where did you order your pans from?

Are you ordering your GF breads and foods or did you find a HFS that carries them?

So many questions for you!!!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Abby new
      #153639 - 02/24/05 09:51 AM
abby82

Hi beth - I know that there are eggs in most of kinnikinnicks products but they are just so good I try not to think about it! Im not really eating any breads right now - I do have some on the way that I ordered online. I bought some Food For life brand rice bread that Ive been toasting - even though its awful Ive still been eating it! I ordered some kinnikinnick bread, buns, and cake mix and I also ordered a lot of breads and mixes from the glutenfreepantry. I ordered the Bette Hagman's mix flour from allergygrocery.com - but I havent got it yet. I cant wait to finally try to cook some of my own things but I have to wait at least a week until everything arrives! I will let you know of any success I have with anything. Oh ya - what is a typical day of eating for you? What kinds of things do you snack on that are both IBS and GF safe? Im dying for something to eat in between meals and Im not having very much luck because if its GF then it usually has too much fat, eggs or milk in it and if its IBS safe it usually has gluten in it! AHHH!

Confused new
      #153724 - 02/24/05 12:40 PM
Augie

So are you going to eat the kinnikinnick bread even though it has whole eggs? To eat every day? It is good. That Food for Life stuff is nasty. At least the white rice is. The brown rice is better but contains the fruit juice concentrates. But as I mentioned, Kandee says this is still safe. Did you order it from KK website?

What stuff did you order from GF Pantry? You have to be careful as one of their sandwhich mixes contains dairy. Plus, they call for a lot of added fat!
What types of breads did you order from them (white, tapioca...)? Are they already made or the bread mix?

I'm interested in what you are going to try. Now I'm nervous about the whole eggs and I eat this everyday and the tray buns too! So if they have ready made breads that taste good and are low fat, I might try them.

I will answer your other questions on the diet board as I'm sure others don't appreciate us using the recipe board for this post! Sorry guys.

But please respond to my questions here if you don't mind. Then we can go to Eating Board. Or you can email me. I don't have your email address. It's okay if you don't want to post it.

And please do keep me updated on any mixes or breads that you try that you like. Also, where do you get the donut pans from?

PS Many times you can find GF foods in mainstream stores for the same price as regular cereal. I usually find them at Jewel or Cubs if you have those stores by you. I can find Rice Munch Ums (like Rice Chex),or 3 cereals by EnvirKidz- gorilla munch (cornmeal cereal) panda something (peanut butter flavor (2 grams fat), or cocoa krispy rice.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Augie did you ever get my email? -nt- new
      #154670 - 02/27/05 09:47 AM
abby82

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 353 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4429

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review