All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I dunno how to use this board...
      #152176 - 02/20/05 01:43 PM
ToilettPrisoner

Reged: 02/20/05

Uhm. I'm new here and desperate for help.
I strongly believe I have IBS with diarhea.
But everything I've read here sounds more for IBS with constipation. Getting things moving is NOT my problem at all....I wish it was.
And the advice I've read on the site does not seem likely to help me. My main problem is getting diarhea everytime I'm even slightly un-relaxed. It is a total nightmare.
Eliminating sugar, caffeine, heavy fatty food, and/or eating too much from my diet as well as exersizing every morning has helped only mildly. My agony really begins once stress or anxiety hits such as a trip to the Dentist or an interview. But now it is much worse. I barely leave home at all.
I've had these symptoms only a year never before. I am 25.
My questions are:
Am I alone?
Should I see a Dr? Why? What meds can I get? Everything natural has failed.
What will the Dr do?
This is a nightmare. Desperatly looking for the light at the end of the tunnell.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I dunno how to use this board... new
      #152183 - 02/20/05 02:25 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Hi!

One, I do think you should see a GI to have tests run to see if it is IBS, or if something else is wrong.
Second, if you are IBS-D (diarrhea), you are not alone, we have people here who have diarrhea, constipation, or both! Have you tried Heather's what to eat when you can't eat anything foods for a few days to try to stabilize? Are you taking a SFS (soluble fiber supplement)? If you do have IBS, then these might help.

Also, this board is for recipes only pretty much, you'll probably get more of a response if you post this on the "IBS diet" board.

Welcome!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#152199 - 02/20/05 03:10 PM
renaanne

Reged: 09/19/04
Loc: Marietta, GA

I just popped in to post a recipe for cookies and saw your post. I was so much that way a year ago, I thought I would send you some sympathy! Anytime I even thought about leaving the house I had to go to the bathroom 15 times. Add stress to that (like the dentist you mentioned) and it was WORSE! I did finally go to the GI last fall and they ran some bloodwork, did a sigmoidoscopy, and came to the same conclusion I had come to...IBS. As for help, they weren't real useful. They gave me some meds which didn't do much for me. The biggest help has been taking fiber every day and avoiding things that really set me off. Turns out Coke (or any other soda) was a BIG no-no. I don't drink it anymore. I also don't eat a lot of cheese or dairy. I typically cook with soy milk for my family and you can't tell a difference. I've gotten pretty freaky about food and try to buy organic and avoid processed foods and preservatives. Partly for my health but mostly because I don't think my kids need processed and preserved foods. I can go for long periods of time and feel great and then I slip and eat something I KNOW I cannot eat and then I pay for it...like now, that Wendy's hamburger was NOT a good idea! The good news is, I know I can get back to normal again by being good. You might also be able to talk to the doctor about some anxiety meds. I know there are people here that use them and they help. You should go to the Dr. and get checked out to make sure it's not something else. It's not a pleasant visit, but a necessary one!

I hope you feel better soon.
Rena

#206618 - 08/18/05 07:10 PM
Sarahsmommy

Reged: 08/17/05

I can relate. Only it is my daughter who has IBS she is only 9years old. WE tried to find out for 5 years why she kept having off/on diarrhea, everyone just told us its a control issue, I knew better. It happens also when she is worried about something and the foods she eats when she is upset. I recently switched her from whole milk to soy and am changing her whole diet using combination of soluable and insoluable foods. I notice all the persons on this board are pretty young as well, though I wonder if anyone has had it like as young as my daughter
Any way good luck
Kelly

You Are Definitly Not Alone new
      #206619 - 08/18/05 07:24 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

Hello there!
you are not alone! I have IBS-D, and i had the EXACT same things you do. Couldnt leave the house, just THINKING about going to the dentist, sitting in the chair, not being able to go to the bathroom, would give me IMMEDIATE diareah. You should definitly see a doctor. Every doctor is different, but i had blood work, a barium enema, a sigmoidoscopy and a small bowel follow throgh. These tests arent always pleasent, but totally worth it in the end. I am only 17 years old, so this was all completly new to me and i had no idea what to expect. Using heathers diet, and talking on these boards has helped me DRAMATICALLY. not to be all mushy gushy, but without the guys and gals on these boards, i dont know where i would be. I am currently on no medication...i take fiber (metamucil) and the doc gave me Dicetol for stomach pains, but i havnt used it yet. Finding calming methods really helped me. I used music alot. Listening to my mp3 player was a MUST going to school EVERY morning on the bus... with no toilet. find something that calms you down, or maybe see about some anxiety medicine. But to sum it up, go to the doctors and make sure you have IBS and follow heathers diet, and talk to us on the boards! Hope ive helped you out some! Your not alone hun!
feel better soon
Melissa

#206630 - 08/18/05 08:20 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Hi and welcome. Sorry you're not feeling so well. You should definitely see a doctor.

Lots of us here are ibs D, me included. Mine started when I was 25 also. But it's amazing what Heather's diet has done for me. Click on message boards up above and then click on the first one, IBS diet, I think. The first few posts with the thumbtacks next to them will have lots of information you should read. And there will be people on that board talking about a lot of issues you can relate to.

I used to hate going anywhere when this first started, but I've been following the diet and now I can go on daytrips with friends swimming and camping and all sorts of fun stuff I couldn't imagine doing when I was ill.

Know that you are not alone and hang in there.

I did, kinda new
      #206637 - 08/18/05 09:00 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I first remember having IBS symptoms when I was 12, although I also remember having stomachaches and things like that a lot as a younger kid. I'm 30 now, and I was finally only diagnosed a year ago.

And yep, I consider myself an A now, but I always had a LOT of problems with diarrhea. The diet helped immensely, as did addressing my anxiety issues - I'm a firm believer in treating the whole self, and if you have underlying anxiety/stress/depression issues, you MUST treat them or you will never be fully physically well, either. And as I was working towards stabilizing, I found that a single Imodium capsule - half a dose - worked wonders for when I had to leave the house. I know a lot of folks on here have used it as a preventative as well.

There are more of us D'ers around... and there's hope for ALL of us. It takes time, but it's worth it, trust me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 190 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3113

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review