All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pizza worthy cheese
      #147644 - 02/07/05 09:13 PM
Alice A.

Reged: 10/26/04
Loc: Knoxville, MD

The only cheese I can find in my area to make pizza with is the Galaxy veggie shreds. It's edible but doesn't really cover those pizza cravings. Does anyone know of a cheese that melts and tastes like the real thing that I would be able to find online?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pizza worthy cheese new
      #147695 - 02/08/05 06:34 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

A brand called Soya-kaas melts really well, I even have it in omelettes. But, it does contain a small amount of milk products, so if you are really sensitive, skip it.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#147700 - 02/08/05 06:58 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Smart Balance Light cheddder and mozzarella isn't bad, but it does contain a small amout of milk even though it says that it is lacotse free. You can find this in your regular grocery store.

#147710 - 02/08/05 07:23 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think that is the kind I made pizza with Saturday. My husband ate one of my pieces without knowing it was fake cheese. But I doubt it is good in things where you can really taste it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#147720 - 02/08/05 08:06 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I looooove Veggie Shreds, and was about to suggest them... but then I read your post! I guess you don't like them as much as I do!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#148841 - 02/10/05 08:39 PM
Alice A.

No disrespect to the Veggie Shreds, I do love cooking with them. Especially with lasagna and stuffed shells. I'm so glad there are dairy substitutes out there or i would have a really hard time on this diet. I just find that the cheese gets kind of plastic-y after the pizza cools and has a slightly funny flavor. I think i'm going to try putting less on next time and possibly adding a little tofu and soy parm mix. Thanks to everyone for responding I really appreciate the help. I don't think I would be able to keep up my stability without the recipe exchange.

#148871 - 02/11/05 03:44 AM

Unregistered

I mix the veggie shreds mozzerella with the shredded parmesan mix and I think it tastes pretty close that I can't complain because I craved pizza soooo much. Then I add some turkey pepperoni and a little garlic powder and it's almost the best thing ever good luck!

Re: Pizza worthy cheese SOY STATION new
      #148986 - 02/11/05 12:25 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

I don't know if you have a Trader Joes nearby. If you do they carry a brand of shredded soy cheese (a blend of cheddar, mozzerella, and ???)called Soy Station It works great!

Leigh

yuck! new
      #149658 - 02/13/05 06:26 PM
Little Minnie

It was okay on that pizza but I used it on beer scalloped potatoes tonight (on my side of the casserole) and it was so disgusting! that I had to throw it out. DH had his real cheese and it was ok. scalloped potatoes

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: yuck! new
      #149983 - 02/14/05 01:57 PM
Kree

Minnie, which kind did you have that was so disgusting? I guess I missed the train of this conversation, lol.

I tried fat free Soya Kaas once and almost gagged. It was so not like real cheese... it was more like rubber. Yuck.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: yuck! new
      #150001 - 02/14/05 02:27 PM
Little Minnie

I think it was Soya Kaas as it is NOW the only brand at my store. (ff should tip us off ) I went to a co-op on Sat and got some fake cheddar but it was hardly better. Cheese is my biggest temptation!

--------------------

Pizza Heaven!!! new
      #153719 - 02/24/05 12:25 PM
Alice A.

Just wanted to post an update. I recently tried making pizza still using the veggie shreds and it came out Great!

Found a crust mix that was non-dairy and after that cooked for about 5 minutes, topped it with preservative free pizza sauce (found in produce section) a handful of mozzarella shreds (much less than usual) and sprinkled it liberally with soy parmesan. Added diced onion, some pepperoni slices and sweet italian turkey sausage that i took out of the casing and browned.

Cook for 10 more minutes, and I had a really great tasting pizza that even my husband (the fake cheese hater) said tasted good.

I know pepperoni isn't very safe to eat but I made sure to take my fiber beforehand and I didn't have a problem with it.

Yay! Glad the Veggie Shreds worked out for you! -nt- new
      #153976 - 02/25/05 07:37 AM
Kree

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5590

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review