Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Favorite Safe Super Bowl Snacks
      #144801 - 01/31/05 09:03 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Hey everyone,

Although I'm not having a party for the Super Bowl this Sunday, I'd still like to make some yummy snacks for my BF and me that are safe for me. I am figuring the snacks will serve as dinner too, so I'm looking for your favorite safe recipes! Hopefully this will help others too who are looking for something they can snack on during a party.

I will probably be posting more to this thread as I surf through the recipes this week.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Favorite Safe Super Bowl Snacks new
      #144838 - 01/31/05 09:56 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Heather's Chipotle Mango Salsa w/baked lays is VERY good.... It is in her EFI book.

Also, any hummus & pita chip recipes in the index....

I'll think of more... but have lots of work today..... end of fiscal year.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#144846 - 01/31/05 10:12 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

I made "Rachel's Chili" from the post over the weekend - it was great! Anne

#144926 - 01/31/05 01:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

We are having my chili, and orange cake for safe foods, but if I was making more safe food I would make baba ganoush. I have a good recipe for it but can't find the link. I have it printed out so I will type it quickly. If something is confusing ask me.
3 eggpplant
6 clo garlic
1 onion
olive oil
2 T lemon
2T tahini
salt cumin red pepper flakes.

325 F peel and cube eggplant and roast 30 min with a little oil and the onion diced. Cool. Process the rest and serve with pitas. This one is very male friendly and spicy. I put a lot of pepper flakes and so it was well-liked. Serve with pita chips.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#145164 - 02/01/05 06:36 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

quick guacomole and salsa and baked tostitos is probably what I'll have! (since you are watching your weight I would go easy on the guac)
I was thinking of making 'burritoes' or something, by wrapping up Heather's Black bean dip in a tortilla and topping with the salsa and guac, maybe some lettuce.
If you can't tolerate beans well, or just don't like them, you could probably make tacos out of TVP, sounds like alot of work though if you are lazy like me.
I know you are a sushi fanatic like me, pick up a platter before hand! makes nice fingerfood to munch on. Not traditional superbowl food, but times are changin'!

--------------------
-Sheri

Another idea new
      #145165 - 02/01/05 06:38 AM
Sheri01

heathers party mix (I forget what it is called). It is in EFI and one of her last newsletters, the one with the honey and the pretzels and whatnot.

--------------------
-Sheri

#145179 - 02/01/05 07:27 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I posted this last week and I really enjoy it!

Mexican Mess
1 can of fat free refried beans
1 jar of salsa
sour cream (tofutti kind)
cheese (soy, rice or if you can tolerat smart balance chedder which I prefer)

I layer a pyrex dish with refried beans. Then I put on the sour cream. Spread out the salsa on top, then sprinkle cheese on it. Sometimes I add a few black olives to it.

This is so yummy and perfect for a Super bowl party. I also make a big one for everyone and an IBS safe one for me.

Serve with baked tostitos!

#145223 - 02/01/05 09:40 AM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

I know you are a sushi fanatic like me, pick up a platter before hand! makes nice fingerfood to munch on. Not traditional superbowl food, but times are changin'!

Ooooh maybe I'll make sushi! I have all the ingredients, but have been too lazy to make it. I'll go grab some crab and maybe some tuna for Mike. Mmmmm.. good idea!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#145259 - 02/01/05 10:50 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Quote:

Ooooh maybe I'll make sushi! I have all the ingredients, but have been too lazy to make it. I'll go grab some crab and maybe some tuna for Mike. Mmmmm.. good idea!

Sounds like you have it figured out with the sushi and crab and tuna...but I'd pick up the sushi.....to much work to make it yourself... Enjoy yourself!

--------------------

#145268 - 02/01/05 11:53 AM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like you have it figured out with the sushi and crab and tuna...but I'd pick up the sushi.....to much work to make it yourself... Enjoy yourself!

Nah.. it's the adventure of making it! Plus it's cheaper.

My sister and I made california rolls for my dad's birthday once and they turned out pretty good. I have the sushi rolling mat and book, so we'll see.

--------------------
- Jennifer

But one question about the sushi since you've made it before.. new
      #145332 - 02/01/05 02:36 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nah.. it's the adventure of making it! Plus it's cheaper.

My sister and I made california rolls for my dad's birthday once and they turned out pretty good. I have the sushi rolling mat and book, so we'll see.

Everything I have says "steam" the rice, don't boil it....duh...don't know what they mean by that. Do you need some bamboo rice cooker or something. I have the mat but that's as far as I've gotten with the do-it-yourself version.

--------------------

Sushi Rice new
      #145372 - 02/01/05 04:18 PM
Jennifer Rose

Actually my sister and I just cooked it in a pot and let it "steam" in there. I'll have to post my sushi rice recipe.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Sushi Rice new
      #145395 - 02/01/05 04:47 PM
Shell Marr

yes, please do!!

--------------------

#145504 - 02/01/05 09:10 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

You can actually buy cans of the inside of roasted eggplant at Middle Eastern groceries. Then you just mix it with the tahini and everything else. We always make our baba ganoush from scratch, but this way is a lot easier, and it's really quite good. BTW, when we don't use the canned stuff, we stab the eggplants with a skewer and grill or broil them whole. Then we slice them open and scoop out the insides. Also, I've never heard of using cumin or red pepper flakes, but I'm sure that's yummy. I'm a bit of a purist myself, and I like it best when there is a lot of lemon.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

baba ganoush and eggplant new
      #145566 - 02/02/05 05:50 AM
Little Minnie

I looked through a lot of recipes! and this one was the only one with cubed eggplant, but I really liked it. And since I was making it for skeptical and fussy guys it was a hit since it was spicy.

Hey eggplant trick, buy the eggplants with a round blossom end mark instead of a elongated one. They are males (round) and less seedy and fluffy. I saw that at some show or something once.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#145568 - 02/02/05 05:54 AM
Little Minnie

This sushi roll salad uses sushi ingredients but is easier. It has you bring the rice to boil, boil 2 minutes and sit 10 minutes and it works great.

--------------------

#145661 - 02/02/05 08:08 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Have you tried Heather's Pizza Party Snack Mix? It's an all time favourite at my house. If you want to spice it up add 1/4 tsp ground chipotle. It makes it more barbequey flavour.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#145677 - 02/02/05 08:18 AM
Kandee

Quote:

This sushi roll salad uses sushi ingredients but is easier. It has you bring the rice to boil, boil 2 minutes and sit 10 minutes and it works great. Ahhh, this is exactly what I wanted to know...thanks. The sushi roll salad looks like a good alt. to all that work of rolling and such--but then to some, that may be half the fun.Kandee

--------------------

yep you hit it on the head- nt new
      #145727 - 02/02/05 09:22 AM
Little Minnie

--------------------

#146359 - 02/03/05 11:57 AM
Shell Marr

How about mini pizza's on *toasted english muffins? You can use a safe sauce (even bbq) with chicken or salad shrimp and crushed pineapple, maybe some sauted onion & garlic then add your soy or rice cheese... put in the oven for a few at like 350-370 and then turn the boiler on for a few.

*note: I toast my muffin first to prevent them from getting soggy.

--------------------

#146370 - 02/03/05 12:36 PM
canuckrerooted

Reged: 08/19/04

hey y'all does anyone know if you can make that mango sorbet ice cream in heathers book without the ice cream maker? i just got rid of ours cz it wasn't being used. any one?

#146709 - 02/04/05 12:08 PM
abuss

Reged: 01/13/05
Loc: Lake Crystal, MN

I make these a lot, but I use french bread!

Kandee...sushi recipe from a 1/2 Japanese girl new
      #147059 - 02/05/05 06:20 PM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

Coming from a half-Japanese girl . When the Japansese make their sushi rice they use a rice cooker. You don't need a fancy bamboo steamer or anything like that. Buy the Japanese Calrose rice at your supermarket and I'll bet there will be stove top directions on the back of the bag.

"Sushi Su"

1/2 cups of rice vinegar
4T sugar
1 1/2 t salt

Mix above ingredients. Transfer freshly cooked rice to a large bowl and sprinkle the sushi su over the rice mixing gently.

Take one piece of "nori" (seaweed) and put one cup of the rice ont he nori spreading evenly yet leaving about 1/2" free of rice so that you can seal the roll. Place your favorite filling in a line at the center part and roll. Slice in 1" pieces...serve with wasabi and soy sauce.

--------------------
"puffy"

HAPPY (1/2 Japanese girl) !!!!!!!! new
      #147070 - 02/05/05 07:35 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Coming from a half-Japanese girl . When the Japansese make their sushi rice they use a rice cooker. You don't need a fancy bamboo steamer or anything like that. Oh goodie! Buy the Japanese Calrose rice at your supermarket and I'll bet there will be stove top directions on the back of the bag. OK, will do, but see down below please, to see if what I have will work.

"Sushi Su"

1/2 cups of rice vinegar
4T sugar
1 1/2 t salt

Mix above ingredients. Transfer freshly cooked rice to a large bowl and sprinkle the sushi su over the rice mixing gently. Thank you...This is great.
So this is why it tastes different than what I've had that's been homemade (American style)!! I wondered what they added..Now I know, thanks to you. "Sushi Su" is what's needed. That seems easy enough. How much rice do you add this to?

Take one piece of "nori" (seaweed) and put one cup of the rice ont he nori spreading evenly yet leaving about 1/2" free of rice so that you can seal the roll. Place your favorite filling in a line at the center part and roll. Slice in 1" pieces...serve with wasabi and soy sauce.

Got it! I watched them do this on TV so think I can do this part easy enough.

I have a pkg of Trader Joe's California Short Grain, Haiga Mai Rice. The cooking instructions say: Measure one cup rice into a heavy sauce pan. Rinse rice several times in cold water until water is almost clear. Drain and let stand uncovered for 10 minutes. Add 1 tbs. of oil or butter and 1 cup of water or broth to rice and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover with tight fitting lid and cook for 15-20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Do not peek at rice while cooking.

How about it? Should I make any changes to this?

Thanks, Kandee

--------------------

Kandee new
      #147368 - 02/07/05 05:27 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I live in Texas so we don't have a Trader Joes out here...sigh...so I am not sure about the rice. The directions seem logical though I have never heard of adding oil to rice. The Japanese don't do that.

All in all...it's worth a shot. Let me know how it works! Sushi isn't sushi without the sushi-su for sure!

--------------------
"puffy"

happy and/or jen new
      #147374 - 02/07/05 06:15 AM
Sheri01

glad the sushi thing came up again, cause I had more questions, I am finally gonna make it this weekend.
I will start a new thread, though!

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 282 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13131

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review