All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Results of the Inidan dinner
      #141961 - 01/24/05 12:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

First of all I have never been sore from cooking before! My feet were killing me and my upper body was sore and tired from stirring and chopping. Sunday I felt jet-lagged. Anyway as to the dinner I made some safe and some unsafe things. I will link most of them in case you want to make them too. First of all I made homemade ginger ale which was awesome as a tea base too! Great for the tummy. homemade ginger ale or tea I made Amanda Panda's hummus here. and pita chips (which were too crunchy) and sliced baguette with olive oil Pam. I also made candied curried pecans and bought some Indian snack mix. I made samosas. I can't find the recipe I used now. And I had mango chutney and made yogurt chutney but also can't find that link right now. It was yogurt and a can of tomatoes with green chilies. ( if anyone wants these recipes I will find them or just type in the copies I have ). Then I made basmati rice with saffron in the rice cooker and aloo gobhi stuffing without butter. I liked it but there was an awful lot left. Then we had chicken with a canned tandoori marinade and lite coconut milk and lamb shoulder roast like this and both marinaded all night and day. I don't know how it happened but they got done at the same time and were perfect -at least that went really well. And we had green beans with garam masala seasoning and Thai basil since I don't like cilantro. For dessert I made a safe cake orange cardamom cake and coconut cream pie for others. So the bad news was this: on Friday I made the cake and made an extra muffin and happily munched on it all day. Then I made the pie which was just my banana cream pie recipe but with coconut so I stuck my finger into the custard to taste it. One lick! and a half hour later I had D! it was mild but frustrating! So seriously I didn't cheat with all that food in the house except for wanting to check that pie filling. I hardly had a teaspoonful! I did have ginger ale the next day and was pretty fine. At the end of the evening I had some bloat, probably from holding in gas all evening, but all in all I did fine- other than complete exhaustion!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What spices do you recommend purchasing? new
      #141993 - 01/24/05 01:25 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

It sounds like a yummy dinner. I'm just getting started with Indian cooking. What spices do you recommend using? My dh & I like hot/spicy food.

I found a recipe that calls for garam masala seasoning. I'll probably have to buy that online because I can't find a local store that carries it. I don't mind because I love Indian food.

spices new
      #142039 - 01/24/05 02:24 PM
Little Minnie

Definitely get madras curry powder and coriander (seeds or ground) and you can make garam masala. that is what I did. Also ginger, garlic and some of the basic spices are needed.

Garam Masala

This homemade spice mixture is much darker and more flavorful than commercial varieties. Toasting the spices is a crucial step that gives the masala a deep, roasted flavor. Cardamom pods are available at Middle Eastern and Indian markets.

1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
12 cardamom pods
8 whole cloves
1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Place the first 6 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook until spices smoke, becoming fragrant and turning dark, shaking pan constantly (about 5 minutes). Stir in nutmeg. Remove from heat; cool completely. Place spice mixture in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Store in an airtight container.

OR
Garam Masala

2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
3/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds
1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat; add all ingredients. Cook 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Place spice mixture in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground.

Yield: about 1/3 cup

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Results of the Inidan dinner new
      #142064 - 01/24/05 03:31 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Nice job! I'm so glad everything went well. I'll have to tell my mom -- ever since I asked her about the lamb shoulder in the freezer she's been asking me how my friend's dinner turned out.
I wonder if the D you had was more related to the stress and physical exhaustion than to tasting the pie? Just a guess.
So glad it all went well, and it sounds like you even had a good time!
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: spices new
      #142328 - 01/25/05 07:37 AM
bellshel32

Thanks so much! I have basic spices, but not the unusual ones. I'll try making the garam masala. I bought some green cardamom around Thanksgiving. I take them out of the "shells" before roasting, right? (these are new to me)

Thanks new
      #142579 - 01/25/05 02:06 PM
Little Minnie

I appreciate your help and your mom's! The lamb (I think -i didn't try it) turned out great. And the hummus was fantastic. I am definitely making it again. And yes stress was probably a factor, but the D didn't come on until the nibble of pie and I felt fine on the actual party day. But it is fine because now I will stay away from any little bite of that stuff (high fat and dairy are a wicked combo!)

--------------------

oops bad spelling!-nt new
      #142581 - 01/25/05 02:06 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

sorry I don't know new
      #142582 - 01/25/05 02:07 PM
Little Minnie

I think the one recipe did say cardamom pods, but the other said seeds?

--------------------

that's okay... new
      #142592 - 01/25/05 02:19 PM
bellshel32

I may just experiment. Just thought you might have used these before.

thanks so much for the info!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 638 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3812

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review