All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Blueberry-brown sugar Scottish oatmeal (I tried this weekend)
      #141920 - 01/24/05 11:01 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Just wanted to let you all know that I tried " Blueberry-brown sugar Scottish oatmeal " from Heather's book EFI......WOW...that was SO good...and another cool thing is... the oatmeal turns Purple!! it was very fun....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Blueberry-brown sugar Scottish oatmeal (I tried this weekend) new
      #141994 - 01/24/05 01:26 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I thought it was good, too. I was surprised by how much the blueberries exploded. You definitely have to use a big bowl & cover it well in the microwave!!

#142012 - 01/24/05 01:52 PM
Shell Marr

Oh, yes... I was gonna mention that... you MUST use a big bowl... I used a pyrex 2 cup and it was too small....good thing I had paper towels under it...I was able to clean up real easy.

--------------------

#142426 - 01/25/05 10:24 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Shell,

I eat this every morning for breakfast. I love it but everyone makes fun of the blue color. I have gotten so if I don't have my oatmeal for breakfast I feel like I am missing something.

You are right about the bowl. You have to watch it carefully or it will boil over every time. Also, I have used honey if I don't have brownsugar.

--------------------
Janey

#142573 - 01/25/05 01:52 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Shell,

I eat this every morning for breakfast. I love it but everyone makes fun of the blue color. I have gotten so if I don't have my oatmeal for breakfast I feel like I am missing something. I can see that.... it is really good and so simple.

You are right about the bowl. You have to watch it carefully or it will boil over every time. Also, I have used honey if I don't have brownsugar. That is a good idea too.

And one little thing of fresh blueberries could last a whole week...since you only use 1/4 cup at a time.

--------------------

First thing I made in EFI! new
      #143006 - 01/26/05 12:55 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Well, I haven't tried too many recipes *yet* (still alittle unsure of myself in the kitchen, but getting better) So easy to make and very yummy! Hmmm... I should try it again sometime soon...
Next thing out of EFI I am trying is Peppermint Fudge Cake, but subbing the almond as I am not crazy for peppermint. Gonna make it on V-DAy (well, weekend before I have school and work on monday) for BF. We'll see how he likes it!

--------------------
-Sheri

Re: First thing I made in EFI! new
      #143011 - 01/26/05 01:03 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Well, I haven't tried too many recipes *yet* (still alittle unsure of myself in the kitchen, but getting better) So easy to make and very yummy! Hmmm... I should try it again sometime soon... That is great Sheri....I'm glad you liked it..!!
Next thing out of EFI I am trying is Peppermint Fudge Cake, but subbing the almond as I am not crazy for peppermint. Gonna make it on V-DAy (well, weekend before I have school and work on monday) for BF. We'll see how he likes it! AAAwww.... how sweet! He WILL like it... you can't go wrong with this one!!

--------------------

Re: First thing I made in EFI! new
      #143016 - 01/26/05 01:17 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I made the peppermint fudge cake from EFI for my bf as a birthday cake back in October for his b-day so that I could eat it too. He loved it, as did his roommates. I'm sure Chris will love it too!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

About the almond extract---- new
      #143287 - 01/27/05 07:26 AM
bellshel32

I made this with the almond extract & it was VERY strong. You might consider putting in half the recommended amount. My family thought the cake tasted strange & I did, too.

Re: About the almond extract---- new
      #143309 - 01/27/05 09:05 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

yeah I agree.. I've made this cake many times and it is by far my fave.. however.. I hated it with the almond extract. (I actually only used half as well.. as I do with the peppermint as well beause the whole recipe amount makes it very very strong.)

--------------------

Re: About the almond extract---- new
      #143328 - 01/27/05 09:43 AM
Shell Marr

Oh... thanks for that tip... I've not yet tried it with anything besides peppermint and kahula (but my oven was too hot and it was no good anyways but I fixed that! )

--------------------

Almond Extract (brittany maybe?) new
      #143434 - 01/27/05 12:32 PM
Sheri01

Ut oh, I wonder if I should still try it or sub vanilla in instead! If it is an 'acquired taste' type thing Chris may not like it. Darn, and I already bought the almond extract- have no idea when I will ever use it!
has anyone tried the almond and LIKED it? I know Brittany said she made different variations...
Maybe I will make a 'plain' one, then experiment later

--------------------
-Sheri

Sheri new
      #143471 - 01/27/05 03:08 PM

Unregistered

Well I decided I wanted a change from the peppermint in the Peppermint Fudge cake and so I just used additional vanilla in place of the peppermint oil - and the nice thing about vanilla is that you just can't ever seem to use too much!

Then I made another variation one time where I used the vanilla but added some dairy free chocolate chips...mmm I had some today and it's fabulous. I also made a glaze for the top different from the one in the recipe and just used my Chocolate Rice Milk and mixed it with confectioner's sugar - that was also very good.

Then I haven't tried this, but chocolate and orange are such good flavors together that adding orange oil instead might be quite good.

I agree with you all though that the almond extract is a little hard to get into. I like it in some stuff but it's a little overwhelming in stuff like this.

Sheri - As for your almond extract that's just laying around now, maybe make coconut macaroons?? That's what I generally only use it for and they are quite good! Just a thought.

Good luck!!

Hmmmm new
      #143762 - 01/28/05 10:24 AM
Sheri01

I think I am gonna stick to the vanilla this time to make sure I don't wind up with something yucky
I think I will leave out the chips this time, I have chips sitting around and haven't used them yet though. It seems that anything solid chocolate or strong chocolate (like ADBs), even without dairy gives me ---caution! TMI coming!--- chocolately poos and it is very annoying and takes about three days to get rid of. That is why I am attracted to this cake, it seems to be made with little chocolate.
maybe I can garnish with chips... hmmmmm... Oh and Brittany your icing idea sounds great! If I use it it will be with choc soy, though.

--------------------
-Sheri

#144047 - 01/29/05 09:03 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Just wanted to let you all know that I tried " Blueberry-brown sugar Scottish oatmeal " from Heather's book EFI......WOW...that was SO good...and another cool thing is... the oatmeal turns Purple!! it was very fun....

I made this for breakfast this morning for Shane & I..... Shane says, "This is really good!"

--------------------

#144081 - 01/29/05 10:55 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Hi - I've just been searching frantically around the site for the recipe for the Blueberry oatmeal and I can't find it! Any ideas where it is?? I can't wait to turn my oatmeal purple!! Thanks....Nicola

#144090 - 01/29/05 11:52 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Hi - I've just been searching frantically around the site for the recipe for the Blueberry oatmeal and I can't find it! Any ideas where it is?? I can't wait to turn my oatmeal purple!! Thanks....Nicola

LOL Sorry it is in Heather's book EFI = "Eating For IBS" on page 96!!

--------------------

I think if you use 1/2 of the amt. of almond extract it will be fine....nt new
      #144174 - 01/29/05 06:16 PM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

how much Kahlua did you use? ~nt~ new
      #144175 - 01/29/05 06:17 PM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

Re: how much Kahlua did you use? new
      #144184 - 01/29/05 07:22 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

how much Kahlua did you use?

I replaced the vanilla & peppermint with the Kahlua....but it really was not enough flavor... not sure how much more you could add without messing it up?

--------------------

#144235 - 01/30/05 12:00 AM
nikjones_uk

Thats great - I bought that book the other day, must've missed that one! Thanks - nik

#145127 - 02/01/05 02:17 AM
nikjones_uk

I made this today for breakfast it was delicious, the burst blueberries really give it some flavour, I am used to having plain porridge with water, but am going to stick with this recipe for breckie now!! (purple oatmeal - yum)

#145177 - 02/01/05 07:23 AM
Shell Marr

Is it not just the greatest!! I love it... I think I was able to get 6 bowls out of one little container of fresh blueberries. I love the purple!

--------------------

Sheri01-- I made the Peppermint Chocolate Cake this weekend new
      #147485 - 02/07/05 10:34 AM
bellshel32

Without the peppermint. I just used a little more vanilla extract. The cake turned out very good. I'd like it to be a little more moist, so I may add a little more applesauce next time.

Just wanted you to know that it was a success! Are you still gonna make this for V day?

Re: Sheri01-- I made the Peppermint Chocolate Cake this weekend new
      #147711 - 02/08/05 07:24 AM
Sheri01

I am not sure- I came up with the idea that a *sexier* V day dessert could be choclate soy pudding with strawberries and pieces of fruit to dip in it after dinner... still deciding, I will have to see how much time I have.

--------------------
-Sheri

That sounds nice, too. I've never made a soy pudding. ... new
      #147735 - 02/08/05 09:35 AM
bellshel32

except for the banana cream pie recipe in the EFI cookbook. I didn't care for it (the soy flavor seemed strong). I'll have to try it with vanilla rice milk next time.

I'm sure whatever you make will be great! I don't know what we're doing for V-day yet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23545

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review