All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
pears
      #139881 - 01/19/05 09:08 AM

Reged: 01/05/05

I have been trying to eat every morning canned fat free fruit (like fruit cocktail or pears). I am assuming that this is okay because they are fat free and there really is no skin on this to make for easier digestion. Correct???????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yep! new
      #139922 - 01/19/05 10:59 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just be sure you're eating soluble fiber foods before, and you should be ok with it. Grapes (as in the fruit cocktail) do cause some people problems, but like everything else, that's a pretty individual thing - it's not bad straight across the board.

Re: Yep! new
      #139948 - 01/19/05 11:44 AM

Reged: 01/05/05

I try to eat my morning oatmeal before my fruit. I am getting sick of oatmeal - any suggestions????

How is cereal (rice chex or wheat chex) with lactose free milk?

Go with soy or rice milk... new
      #140003 - 01/19/05 01:03 PM
atomic rose

Lactose-free milk is still milk, and dairy is very hard for IBS'ers to digest. Otherwise, Chex should be fine. I've been ok with cheerios, honeycomb, corn pops, and unsweetened puffed rice (not to be confused with rice krispies, which have HFCS) too.

And if you find yourself wanting some hot cereal that isn't oatmeal, cream of rice is light and mild, and cream of wheat is a good choice too. Just be aware that the instant variety has wheat germ in it, which may or may not be a bit more insoluble than your body wants first thing in the morning.

Re: Question for Casey new
      #140084 - 01/19/05 02:51 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I was reading your post and noticed you eat unsweetened puffed rice - is it brown rice? Thats all I can find. Ive looked everywhere for regular white puffed rice but no luck! Also, what about cream of rice - all I can find is brown rice for that too - do they make a white cream of rice? If so can you tell me the brand name? Thanks!

Hmm.... new
      #140125 - 01/19/05 04:42 PM
atomic rose

You know, I don't know if the puffed rice was brown or not. I get it in bags at our grocery store (Hannaford)... it's store brand, and it's cheap, like $1 a bag. I'm pretty sure it's white rice, but I'm not 100% sure. If you haven't, I would look at the grocery store generics, or even - if you have one - places like Family Dollar.

The cream of rice cereal - I get the Gerber stuff, marketed for babies, found in the baby-food aisle. It's definitely white rice. Hope that helps!

going off your feed new
      #140157 - 01/19/05 06:47 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

That is an expression in the horse world when a horse doesn't want to eat its oats anymore. I get like that with my oatmeal from time to time. I alternate on a regular basis with cream of wheat, Scottish cut oatmeal (Bob's Red MIll brand), honey nut cheerios and Quaker oats in various flavors. If you want to get really funky you can make cream of wheat or rice with chocolate soy milk, it is too much!
Soy milk is a must and it does taste ok! Start in cereal and it is a sweet treat!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: pears new
      #140190 - 01/19/05 08:10 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

With the canned fruit, be careful of the ones packed in syrup. Check the label for high fructose corn syrup. I personally can tolerate it just fine, but some people can't. If it is in the ones you've been eating, and you've been okay, then I say go with it. It's good that you are eating your oatmeal first, but I bet you can get away with eating them together. Your oatmeal will be less boring if you drain the fruit and mix it in to your prepared oatmeal.
Casey is right about cream of rice by the way. It is fantastic, and less gooey than oatmeal.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Hannaford! new
      #140466 - 01/20/05 04:34 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Woohoo, another Hannaford shopper! That place has been a lifesaver for me since moving up North. I had never even heard of them before. They don't have quite as large of a natural foods selection as Wegmans did, but I don't know what I'd do without them.

Does your Hannaford have soy yogurts? Mind doesn't.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Hannaford! new
      #140473 - 01/20/05 04:55 PM
atomic rose

Nope... ours doesn't either. *Sometimes* our little local IGA store has soy yogurt, but only flavored, which is kind of annoying.

But I'm just thrilled to have a Hannaford, honestly. We're 80 miles from the nearest health-food store, and when we started looking at houses up here, finding a grocery store that carried rice milk was one of my biggest priorities. They've seriously been a lifesaver for me, too. Healthy food is NOT something most people up here care about, but Hannaford always has my stuff.

Re: Hannaford! new
      #140585 - 01/21/05 06:42 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

80 miles from a HFS?? Yikes. I guess I'm very lucky there's a small HFS in Watertown, too, so between the 2 stores I make due quite well. Although there are still some things I have to get whenever I take a trip down to Rochester...

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: pears new
      #140812 - 01/21/05 05:13 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i used to love eating rice cereal! i used to eat plain cream of wheat but when i learn the ingridients i stopped bc there was so much preservitives=/ i like to eat oatmeal but keep hunting around for a cream of rice/wheat cereal that isnt too high in fat or if possible..fat free but havent found one. im a vegan and i eat only organic food--have you come across rice cereal that fits in those 2 categories?? thanks so much!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4093

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review