All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vanilla Extract
      #13589 - 07/09/03 07:33 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have a vanilla bean and I want to make my own extract. So please tell me someone has done this and can tell me what to do. I have a friend who told me before what to do but now I forgot and she is not home today.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vanilla Extract new
      #13653 - 07/09/03 03:09 PM
mmacrobbie

Reged: 02/12/03

i found this recipe i believe in health magazine, and my beans have been going since christmas. you just put vodka in a jar with the bean, after slicing down the middle. you should be able to get about 6 months out of the bean, but make sure it stays covered with the vodka (i bought a nip of vodka and dropped the sliced bean in and just keep adding more when the bean is no longer covered)

#13656 - 07/09/03 03:34 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

MM is right, just get some (cheap) vodka and add the beans. What I've done for years is take a leak proof pint jar, cut up about 3 vanilla beans in 1 inch long strips, place in jar and cover with vodka. You know it's ready when the color is a lovely dark amber. It takes about 3 months to infuse. The longer it sets the better. If you use it right from the jar, keep adding vodka to always have an ample supply. I have some going right now that I've had going for years....I just keep adding vodka and a vanilla bean or 2 now and then when the color doesn't seem to darken to my liking. In the past I've made up lots more, strained through cheesecloth and put in decorative small bottles as Christmas gifts. Kandee

--------------------

#13673 - 07/09/03 08:21 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

This was *just* posted on the wholefood list:
Recipe for vanilla extract:
Three whole vanilla beans set in a fifth of vodka for 30 days. Keep warm and out of direct sunlight.
-–wholefood@yahoogroups.com, submitted by SheetsGirl@comcast.net

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 329 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2501

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review