All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy
      #135298 - 01/05/05 11:39 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I have recently been diagnosed with IBS and am struggling with figuring out which foods are safe for me. I'm nervous about switching to soy milk and soy cheese. For some reason I have a negative view of what they are going to taste like. Do they taste like normal milk and cheese?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy new
      #135305 - 01/05/05 11:46 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

When I first tried soy, it tasted pretty gross to me. So I decided to start out slow. I first introduced soy into my baking and cooking recipes so there would be other flavors to disguise the taste. Then I got hooked on chocolate soy milk and soon after, I had forgotten what regular cheese and milk tastes like!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#135316 - 01/05/05 12:10 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i changed over to soy milk and soy cheese too. i was leary at first, not bc i was worried about the taste but more, the nutritional information. to start, i used soymilk in my lattes--there is this great kind: pacific west i think?? they have a variety of flavors but i love the vanilla soy one the best. and then i started using it in my cereal and my BF uses it in his cooking alot. i dont drink it plain bc ive never had a taste for drinking plain milk OR soymilk--but i like it. westsoy has the yummiest chocolate-soyshake!!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: rice milk new
      #135322 - 01/05/05 12:18 PM
Angie113

Reged: 12/31/04
Loc: Alternate b/w Northern and Southern California

I prefer rice milk to soy; it has a more mild flavor and I find that although I like soy milk it has a distinct "soy" taste, so you might try that also. I like the Whole Foods brand, there is also Rice Dream, and many other brands to try. You could also try almond, oat, or other nut milks; I think the Pacific brand makes those. It's definitely difficult at first trying to figure out what tastes good and feels good for you...good luck!

--------------------
~Angela

#135326 - 01/05/05 12:20 PM
MCV

Good suggestion - I will try it in my cooking before trying it in cereal or plain. Thanks a lot

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: rice milk new
      #135327 - 01/05/05 12:23 PM
MCV

Yes - I'm struggling a bit and I'm a bit overwhelmed, but I purchased both of Heather's books and am just taking small steps instead of trying to leap right into it. Thank you for the rice milk suggestions. I'll give it a try.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#135335 - 01/05/05 12:36 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Chocolate soy milk is definitely fantastic! Even my husband loves it. I enjoy Eighth Continent brand soy milk but do not like Silk brand. You have to know before hand though that it doesn't taste like milk. It is sweeter. Just think of it as a flavored drink and it is much better than thinking it will be like milk and being startled. I think it tastes like that flavored milk you get a gas stations (vanilla, banana etc). So it is great on cereal but drinking straight might wait for awhile.
I can't really take soy cheeses etc. They taste bad and usually make the food you put it in lose taste, just like tofu does. I find stuff is better without soy cheese! except soy oil margarine- that tastes like margarine. I prefer almond cheese. It is like cheddar and low in fat. Soy products are not low in fat usually. this recipe uses soy cheese and you can't tell but it is the only one (besides soy cream cheese frosting) that I think is worth putting soy cheese in. Putting rice milk in cooking and baking is completely fine and you can never tell the difference. I hope this helps!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#135357 - 01/05/05 01:00 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Soy cheese is yucky for the most part so I would avoid it.

Soy milk is yummy, maybe start out with a chocolate one so it covers the taste. It tastes nothing like cow's milk just so you are aware.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2151

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review