All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
lunch ideas
      #13423 - 07/07/03 09:39 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Just found out that even though my supervisor wants to get our lunches at the childcare center (both kids and staff) catered so we'll have a hot meal every day, for now she hasn't had any luck so I'll be packing my lunch. I'm making a list of ideas--I want to be able to go a couple of weeks with no repeats, 'cause 1) I hate leftovers, and 2) if my food's appealing, I'm more likely to eat it and less likely to seek out a Burger King.... Here's what I've got so far:

Lunches:
Bagel, Tofu Cream Cheese and Vegetables, fruit, vegetable
Baked tortilla chips, homemade guacamole, fruit soy "yogurt"
Baked tortilla chips, homemade salsa, fruit soy "yogurt"
Crackers, pickled herring, fruit, vegetable
Crackers, Skordalia (Garlic-Potato Puree), fruit soy "yogurt", vegetable
Crackers, smoked oysters, fruit, vegetable
Grandma Millina's Organic Pasta Rings in Tomato Sauce, fruit soy "yogurt"
Pita bread, Foul Mudammas, fruit, vegetable
Pita bread, homemade hummus, fruit, vegetable
Tabbouleh, fruit soy "yogurt", vegetable
Yeast bread, almond butter, jam, fruit, vegetable
Yeast or quick bread (chocolate applesauce, lemon, or pumpkin), Healthy Choice vegetable soup, fruit soy "yogurt"
Yeast or quick bread, Imagine Natural Organic Creamy Tomato (or Broccoli, Butternut Squash, Potato Leek, Sweet Corn, or Portobello Mushroom) Soup, fruit

Fruits:
Applesauce
Banana
Grapefruit half
Homemade rhubarb sauce
Orange
Peach, peeled, sliced, and sprinkled with lemon juice

Vegetables:
Canned pickled beets
Canned sauerkraut
Green Beans with Garlic and Lemon
Wilted Cucumbers

Treats:
Apple Crisp
Homemade pudding
Homemade reduced-fat brownies
Maple Rice Pudding
Stacy's Pita Chips

If anyone has any suggestions, or wants any recipes, please post!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

bump! -nt- new
      #13553 - 07/08/03 07:05 PM
TessLouise

Re: lunch ideas new
      #16139 - 08/03/03 09:55 AM
TessLouise

I've come up with some more ideas.... (My boyfriend has gone out of town for ten days and he's super-worried I won't feed myself so we spent an hour yesterday combing the grocery for easy IBS-safe foods for me.)

There's a microwave at work, so I bought some dairy-free, vegetarian frozen meals, including Amy's Vegetable Pie in a Pocket Sandwich, Amy's Mexican Tamale Pie, Tabatchnik Barley and Mushroom Soup, and Tabatchnik Old Fashioned Potato Soup (in a broth rather than a dairy base). I also bought two flavors of the Mott's Healthy Harvest applesauce--Granny Smith and Pineapple Pleasures (since the pineapple is pureed, I'm hoping I can tolerate it).

If any of the above seems to be an IBS problem or winds up tasting awful, I'll let y'all know .

I also wonder if I could find spicy V-8 juice in lunchbox-size cans to take as a vegetable. I also have leftover Middle Eastern Chopped Salad to take this week (I'll post the recipe in a minute).

#16161 - 08/03/03 04:31 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I noticed you have tabouleh on your list of lunches, is bulgar ok to eat? I love taabouleh but stopped eating it...also, do you have a good recipie for it?

Thanks

#16179 - 08/04/03 05:38 AM
TessLouise

1) Yes, bulgar *should* be okay to eat, it's cracked wheat but as far as I know it doesn't have the bran still attached...Heather? Is this right? Of course you may not be able to handle the parsley and tomatoes, but I've been doing better lately.
2) I do have a recipe in a cookbook that I'm longing to try while tomatoes are in season--I'll post it as soon as I have a chance.

#16186 - 08/04/03 07:30 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I've seen the V8 Spice vegetable juice at the store in cans.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Thanks! -nt- new
      #16222 - 08/04/03 02:06 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

thanks! -nt- new
      #16400 - 08/05/03 05:26 PM
TessLouise

Mott's Healthy Harvest Applesauce Cups - lunch ideas new
      #21216 - 09/19/03 12:02 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I also bought two flavors of the Mott's Healthy Harvest Applesauce Cups......Summertime Strawberry & Peach Pedley. I have only tried the Summertime Strawberry.... very good, tastes kind of like a combo of applesauce & strawberry jello

I think these will be in my lunches for a long time now

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Mott's Healthy Harvest Applesauce Cups - lunch ideas new
      #21221 - 09/19/03 12:41 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I love these - I keep them in my desk at work.

Re: Mott's Healthy Harvest Applesauce Cups - lunch ideas new
      #21281 - 09/19/03 10:36 PM
TessLouise

Strawberry is good, peach is good, Granny Smith is my favorite...mixed berry is okay...pineapple is bad . Not bad in an IBS sense, because the pineapple is pureed, but it's gritty, for heaven's sake!

Also, I tried a Stonyfield Farms O'Soy yogurt cup for the first time today (I bought 10 soy yogurts because I'm on a 10-day antibiotic for a sinus infection). Ugh! It was blueberry, and it did have real fruit on the bottom, but it also had the flavor and texture of Elmer's Glue. I only got it down by thinking of it as medicine for my tummy . At any rate, I'm sure as heck sticking with WholeSoy yogurts from now on. They're the right color and texture and don't have that weird, weird aftertaste.

thanks for the yogurt tip Tess!! - nt - new
      #21284 - 09/19/03 11:09 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Are the fruit added applesauces.... new
      #205023 - 08/12/05 01:49 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...like summertime strawberry, safe to eat alone as a snack? Or are they too IF with the added pureed fruit. Or are just the plain flavored applesauce safe?

Do most of you use the cups or the whole bottled applesauce and just scoop it out and tote it for snacks?

No big deal!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#205092 - 08/12/05 05:50 PM
MichelleB

Reged: 07/30/05
Loc: Ottawa, ON

What timing! I am heading back to work in a couple of weeks and was wondering what the heck to pack! I am only beginning to feel better. I am not so sure that I could handle anything too crazy...but I am open to suggestions. I have oatmeal with brown sugar daily, white rice with cooked veggies and BBQ chicken breast. I snack constantly on pretzels (wayyy to addicting!), Honey maid graham crackers and my most recent add on, RCT!! I have been drinking a 100% natural strawberry/banana smoothie drink too.

Re: Are the fruit added applesauces.... new
      #205240 - 08/13/05 12:49 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I eat strawberry and raspberry applesauce, but I think it's just flavored -- I don't think there's any real fruit in there. Well, I mean, besides apples, obviously!

I am super-cheap so for awhile I would buy the huge Extra Econo Size applesauce and spoon it into small plastic cups to take to work. This was kind of a pain and I am always in a huge rush in the morning, so I wouldn't eat it fast enough and would end up with mold-flavored applesauce. Plus I toss my lunch into my laptop bag, and I was always worried that the cups would leak and I'd get applesauce over my laptop.

So, now I buy the individual cups. I usually buy the off-brand unless the brand name is cheaper. It is about 30 cents more expensive per 6 cups of applesauce, but the convenience is worth it.

If you are sensitive to HFCS, read the labels. I have noticed that a lot of manufacturers add HFCS to applesauce. I like sweetened applesauce better, but I buy unsweetened because sweetened store brands always have HFCS.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

The Mott's brand does contain the real fruit new
      #205245 - 08/13/05 01:16 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

It lists strawberry puree concentrate for the strawberry flavored one. Here's a link Mott's healthy harvest I know what you mean about the leaking cups. I pureed some plain strawberries and put in a little tupperwear cup which leaked all over my lunch.

Yep, I noticed the HFCS so that is why I was trying to go with a natural brand. Our store doesn't carry the flavored varieties...otherwise I'm sure those would be just flavored as the store brands are cheaper and not as likely to use the real fruit!

So, I wasn't sure the "real" fruit in these made them unsafe to use as a snack.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Don't buy them! new
      #205258 - 08/13/05 02:16 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I mean, $2.85 for six???? Highway robbery!!!

Seriously, though, since the strawberries are pureed and mixed with the apples, I'm sure it would be safe. I used to drink a lot of strawberry-banana smoothies and I was fine with them as long as the banana was green. Even on an empty stomach.

If you're unsure about a certain food, eat it for dinner on Friday night. That way you have all weekend to recover. Honestly, though, the applesauce looks harmless enough that I'd be willing to try it even at lunch at work during the week.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Beth, Motts cups... new
      #205608 - 08/15/05 11:39 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Beth I used to eat these all the time - the strawberry Motts ones - as a snack all by themselves without any problems at all. There's quite enough applesauce in there so I wouldn't worry about it; besides, it's all pureed.

(I can't find any flavoured ones without sugar added now so I just eat the plain, and also yes the cups ARE quite expensive, especially name-brand ones; I usually just buy it in jars and fill up little tupperware containers instead.)

HTH

Edited by retrograde (08/15/05 11:41 AM)

#206579 - 08/18/05 04:36 PM
jenniferlynn

Reged: 02/10/05
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Hello! I would be interested in the potato leek soup recipe please.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11605

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review