All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New Years Dad
      #133345 - 12/28/04 08:42 AM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

I was wondering if some of you could post what you are making for New Years Day. Our traditional meal is mashed potatoes, pork roast and saurkraut. I am going to host it at my house this year and might end up having to make two meals. One for everyone else and one for me. Any suggestions for menu items that have worked for you?
Many thanks,
Cindy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Opps I meant New Years DAY -nt new
      #133346 - 12/28/04 08:43 AM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

Lucky Dinner new
      #133348 - 12/28/04 08:58 AM

Unregistered

Not that it's entirely IBS safe, but I just wanted to throw this in because our tradition for New Year's Day dinner is to have white rice (safe) with black-eyed peas (questionable) because it's supposed to bring your luck for the new year.

Does anyone else do this or at heard of it? I know several people that make this a tradition too.

I knew what you meant! new
      #133349 - 12/28/04 09:08 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My mother always served lobster and baked potatoes. We figured it was worth it to ring in the new year RIGHT, hehe, and it's a ridiculously simple meal to prepare. Then again, we were never feeding more than a dozen people, so that may or may not be feasible depending on the size of your crowd.

I don't normally make a special meal for new year's, but the couple times I have, it's been fish. I don't cook fish all that often, so it's almost a treat.

I know, this wasn't terribly helpful. If you do end up making "two meals", make all the side dishes safe for you, and just make yourself some chicken or something to eat instead of the pork. I serve dairy- and butter-free mashed potatoes to guests all the time, and they really are good - most people can't tell the difference, honestly.

Good luck!

Re: Lucky Dinner new
      #133352 - 12/28/04 09:12 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

My family has always put some change (quarters, etc) outside all the doors on new years eve. I'm not sure what the point is, but it's definitely ibs-safe!
Panda
PS this year I plan to throw caution to the wind and drink champagne and eat all kinds of bad things. Oh well

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#133395 - 12/28/04 01:46 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

my grandmother and father- black eyed peas for new years- I am NOT serving them!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: I knew what you meant! new
      #133397 - 12/28/04 01:48 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

good points... I have a DH who invited a bunch of people over and wants to make pizza.. I told him we are haivng more then that but traditionally we do hordeourves and snacks aand most fo the that stuff isn't safe for me anymore (at least the options we've used int eh past) so we are going to do shrimp with dipping sauce, crackers and cheeses, smoked fish and I was thinking about making something else to snack on too but hadn't decided what besides a few of the breads from here or heather too

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#133562 - 12/29/04 10:45 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

My mother-in-law cooks black-eyed peas in one pot & cabbage in another pot. (good luck & money?) The cabbage is good, but ooohhh the gas problems.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3319

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review