All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
mushroom question!
      #132490 - 12/22/04 04:34 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

I have until this point in my life convinced myself that I did not like mushrooms. My mother did not care for them, never cooked with them, and passed that along to me I guess.

Anyway, I have just started using them in recipes. How do you tell if they are "good" when you buy them? I bought a package of white "Pennslyvania" mushrooms and some had light beige spots on them. They were in my fridge for a few days before I got around to using them. Is that the problem? Also, I have read that they should be wiped clean not held under running water. True?

Sorry to be a mushroom idiot. Thanks for any help!

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: mushroom question! new
      #132499 - 12/22/04 05:38 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I usually buy just the regular button mushrooms, so I'm not too familiar with any other kinds. But a few spots here and there are fine if you ask me. Also, I've always rubbed them clean with running cold water. They should be ok as long as they're not moldy or completely brown... a lot of brown-ness to them probably isn't good either. When you buy them, try to get the "whitest" ones out of the bunch.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#132548 - 12/23/04 03:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

running water: if you will eb cleaning and storing them, or need to worry about moisture content- many mushrooms have gills underneath that trap moisture- thus running water is bad since you need to either also remove the gills or use right away because the trapped moisture will speed up spoilage... for most of us who wash as we use the mushrooms I wouldn't worry at all.. and some people actually remove those giills anyway- though they do taste yummy.. also some brown spots are fine, dpending on the type of mushrooms some are supposed to be brpown- its mroe the shrivelled look you want to avoid, or a funny smell coming from them raw..

Good luck!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#132619 - 12/23/04 09:08 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think you would know when they are bad. Little spots are ok but if they wait around too long those spots get really bad. The already sliced ones for instance get bad before the whole ones and so I only get them if I plan to use them in a few days. Otherwise they usually last 10-14 days in their little packages, which is great when I get the 5 portabello caps at Sam's Club. also I wash mine under cool water right before using. I know some gourmet people say not to ever wash them but frankly that is gross. Even dried mushrooms need a washing. I highly recommend cremini/baby portabellos; they add wonderful flavor to everything and are only a few cents more. Another tip (from Jamie Oliver) mushrooms are like sponges and he recommends always seasoning them as they start to cook.
It's nice to hear you are giving mushrooms another shot! I love them and even eat wild ones. YUM!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: mushrooms new
      #133551 - 12/29/04 10:04 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Spots don't matter. Firmness counts. As they age they get kinda soft and a little slimy. If they're firm they're fine.

Crimini mushrooms are GREAT, more flavor than the plain white kind. Shiitakes are also wonderful, as are the big portabellas.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 443 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1410

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review