All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gingerbread Baked in Jars (Made as Christmas Gifts - Picture Included)
      #129767 - 12/11/04 03:55 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

*Note: These were made as Christmas gifts to give away, maybe not be safe for all with IBS.

Gingerbread Baked in Jars
Yield: 5 Servings

2 1/4 c Flour (all-purpose)
3/4 c Sugar
1 ts Baking soda
1/2 ts Baking powder
1/4 ts Salt
2 ts Ginger (ground)
1 ts Cinnamon (ground)
1/2 ts Cloves (ground)
3/4 c Margarine (softened)
3/4 c Water
1/2 c Molasses

Preheat oven to 325-degrees (NO higher).

Sterilize 5 (12 oz) Ball Quilted Crystal (#14400-81400) jam/jelly canning
jars, lids and rings by boiling them for 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the water and allow them to air-dry on your counter top; leave the lids and rings in the hot water until you're ready to use them.

Once the jars are cool enough to handle, use a pastry brush to grease them with shortening (DO NOT use butter, margarine, PAM or Baker's Secret); set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in margarine, water and molasses until well blended. Divide batter among the 5 jars (they should be about 1/2 full). Place jars onto a cookie sheet or they'll tip over.

Bake in preheated 325-degree oven for 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Move the jars around in the oven while they're baking, so they'll bake evenly.

Have your HOT lids ready. Using HEAVY-DUTY MITTS (the jars ARE HOT!) Take one jar at a time from the oven and place a lid on, then the ring. Tightly screw on lids--do it FAST because the lid gets REAL hot! Allow jars to cool on your countertop.

Once the jars are cool, decorate with round pieces of cloth. Unscrew the ring (the lid should be sealed by now) and place a few cotton balls or a wad of batting on top of the lid (makes it poof-y on top), then a piece of
cloth (about 3" larger than the lid) on top and screw the ring back on. Decorate as desired. I used pinking shears to cut the cloth rounds out, otherwise some material will start to unravel. A hot glue gun is INVALUABLE--glue on dried flowers, bows, ribbons, etc.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gingerbread Baked in Jars (Made as Christmas Gifts - Picture Included) new
      #129769 - 12/11/04 04:08 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

These look cute and creative. One question though -- how do you get the gingerbread out of the jar? Maybe that's a dumb question, sorry!
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#129771 - 12/11/04 04:35 PM
Shell Marr

NO, not a dumb one at all.... that is one of the reasons it says .........
Quote:

Once the jars are cool enough to handle, use a pastry brush to grease them with shortening (DO NOT use butter, margarine, PAM or Baker's Secret); set aside.

so it is not so hard... also, when you release the lid the pressure will pull it away from the sides The type of jar and the shortening are very important.

--------------------

#129849 - 12/12/04 10:59 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

This are beautiful Shell, and I'm amazed you tackled making them...what a job!!!

Wonder why you couldn't use an IBS safe gingerbread recipe (like Kree's muffins) instead of this one with all margarine??? Any ideas?

I'm saving this one for next year. Thanks for sharing!!

Kandee

--------------------

#129862 - 12/12/04 11:44 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

This are beautiful Shell, and I'm amazed you tackled making them...what a job!!!

Wonder why you couldn't use an IBS safe gingerbread recipe (like Kree's muffins) instead of this one with all margarine??? Any ideas?

Kandee

Oh, I'm sure you could.... After I eat on the one jar that I kept for us I will try Kree's and see how it turns out. But you still will need to use the shortening inside the jar but it is such a small amout it should be fine (I just used canola oil....so I'll let ya know what happen when I try our jar)

--------------------

#129897 - 12/12/04 01:36 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Quote:

Kandee

Oh, I'm sure you could.... After I eat on the one jar that I kept for us I will try Kree's and see how it turns out. But you still will need to use the shortening inside the jar but it is such a small amout it should be fine (I just used canola oil....so I'll let ya know what happen when I try our jar)

Thanks, I'd be REAL interested in knowing. The little bit of shortening to grease the jar is no problem and I'd likely use coconut oil (it's semi-solid) but has no coconut taste and is good for hypothyroids. I'd also use a GF flour mix since I finally used up all the wheat flour in the house (put in give away cookies and cakes) and am baking with GF flour only now...hope no one notices..hehe.

If this works well we could just make a batch up for ourselves, huh?..then have all year long when every we wanted some....yummm...

Bet this would work well with a lemon based cake too, maybe even a date nut one...lots of possibilites here. Maybe ones from Heather's cookbook, too.

Where'd you get the idea? Kandee

--------------------

#130483 - 12/14/04 01:15 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Kandee

Thanks, I'd be REAL interested in knowing. The little bit of shortening to grease the jar is no problem and I'd likely use coconut oil (it's semi-solid) but has no coconut taste and is good for hypothyroids. I'd also use a GF flour mix since I finally used up all the wheat flour in the house (put in give away cookies and cakes) and am baking with GF flour only now...hope no one notices..hehe.

If this works well we could just make a batch up for ourselves, huh?..then have all year long when every we wanted some....yummm...

Bet this would work well with a lemon based cake too, maybe even a date nut one...lots of possibilites here. Maybe ones from Heather's cookbook, too.

Where'd you get the idea? Kandee

YES.......lots of possibilites!!

--------------------

Gingerbread Baked in Jars - TRIED TONIGHT new
      #133905 - 12/30/04 08:46 PM
Shell Marr

Well, Shane & I shared one of the jars we kept for ourselves...and OMG it was sooooo good and moist....I think Shane's words were "Honey that is SCRUMPTIOUS!!" *note: it did not just slide out of the jar...we just scooped it out with a spoon...

--------------------

Re: Gingerbread Baked in Jars - TRIED TONIGHT new
      #133913 - 12/30/04 11:38 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Well, Shane & I shared one of the jars we kept for ourselves...and OMG it was sooooo good and moist....I think Shane's words were "Honey that is SCRUMPTIOUS!!" *note: it did not just slide out of the jar...we just scooped it out with a spoon... That is good to know. (Gosh, I want one RIGHT NOW! ) I looked for the same jars as your recipe recommended but couldn't find them so gave up until I do. Are they not supposed to slide out of the jar?

--------------------

#133972 - 12/31/04 08:41 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Well, Shane & I shared one of the jars we kept for ourselves...and OMG it was sooooo good and moist....I think Shane's words were "Honey that is SCRUMPTIOUS!!" *note: it did not just slide out of the jar...we just scooped it out with a spoon... That is good to know. (Gosh, I want one RIGHT NOW! ) I looked for the same jars as your recipe recommended but couldn't find them so gave up until I do. Are they not supposed to slide out of the jar? The jar type is KEY...you will find them a lot easier in the summer time when it is top canning season for fruits like strawberries etc. And the way it is greased is key to make it slide out. I used liquid canola oil....I think I should have used solid like Crisco so that it stayed on the sides while pouring the batter inside...the liquid kind just runs off the sides to the bottom, does that make sense? So, until then..... just mix up the ingredients and pour into a pan like 9x12? and bake it....it will rise some... you will have to play with cooking time to make sure the center is gone. I was short one jar when I made these and pour the batter in a souffle dish (I think it was like 5" round?), when it was done the center was hollow but the rest of it was yummy....I think the dish may have been too big. Oh, you could just make muffins with it....DON'T use the paper cups just grease the pan... that would work too!!

--------------------

Re: Gingerbread Baked in Jars new
      #133980 - 12/31/04 09:07 AM
SisterDawn

Reged: 09/16/04
Loc: Iowa.

Hi, all! Shell, this is an awesome idea, one I wish I'd seen before Christmas! I've copied and pasted the recipe, will by the jars in the summer, and save them for Christmas or maybe other special occasions. Thanks so much for this idea! Alicia

#134066 - 12/31/04 06:12 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, Shane & I shared one of the jars we kept for ourselves...and OMG it was sooooo good and moist....I think Shane's words were "Honey that is SCRUMPTIOUS!!" *note: it did not just slide out of the jar...we just scooped it out with a spoon... That is good to know. (Gosh, I want one RIGHT NOW! ) I looked for the same jars as your recipe recommended but couldn't find them so gave up until I do. Are they not supposed to slide out of the jar? The jar type is KEY...you will find them a lot easier in the summer time when it is top canning season for fruits like strawberries etc. And the way it is greased is key to make it slide out. I used liquid canola oil....I think I should have used solid like Crisco so that it stayed on the sides while pouring the batter inside...the liquid kind just runs off the sides to the bottom, does that make sense? So, until then..... just mix up the ingredients and pour into a pan like 9x12? and bake it....it will rise some... you will have to play with cooking time to make sure the center is gone. I was short one jar when I made these and pour the batter in a souffle dish (I think it was like 5" round?), when it was done the center was hollow but the rest of it was yummy....I think the dish may have been too big. Oh, you could just make muffins with it....DON'T use the paper cups just grease the pan... that would work too!!

I took notes...Crisco not Canola.....and the right jars....buy in the summertime in advance. Thanks for all the tips. Yes, it makes sense. Now if I can remember to buy the jars this summer I'll have it made. (If I make them for me, it would have to be GF and that may take some experimentation...but for giving would just use wheat flour.) Boy these are cute gifts...thanks for posting Shell.

--------------------

#134067 - 12/31/04 06:16 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Hi, all! Shell, this is an awesome idea, one I wish I'd seen before Christmas! I've copied and pasted the recipe, will by the jars in the summer, and save them for Christmas or maybe other special occasions. Thanks so much for this idea! Alicia

Alicia....Think we can get someone to remind us to buy the dang jars this summer? LOL

Shell? Put that in your PDA, will ya? hehe

--------------------

#134288 - 01/01/05 09:01 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Alicia....Think we can get someone to remind us to buy the dang jars this summer? LOL

Shell? Put that in your PDA, will ya? hehe You got it!! In my PDA for June 1, 2005 "buy the dang jars this summer"

--------------------

#134289 - 01/01/05 09:02 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Let us know how they turn out!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4266

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review