Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Brown Rice
      #128349 - 12/07/04 09:25 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Hi,
I posted this on the eating board but wasn't able to get a response. Does anyone know if brown rice is considered a soluble fiber or insoluble fiber. I recently stoped taking Zelnorm & was looking for ways to add more insolubles to my diet. I usually cook with brown rice so but I'm sorta confused over the soluble/insoluble thing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Brown Rice new
      #128351 - 12/07/04 09:32 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Brown rice is insoluble fibre. My last agonizing IBS attack occurred two years ago after I had just two bites of a brown rice cake. It was before I discovered Heather's website.

White rice is soluble fibre so it's safe to eat. I highly recommend basmati white rice.

#128371 - 12/07/04 09:54 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I know some people are sensitive to brown rice, but if I am very stable I can eat that as the base to my meal. I was flipping through Eating For IBS last night, and Heather has brown rice instructions in it, so I beleive she has some recipes where she uses it as a base, I am not exactly sure.
I have also heard of some that cannot completely handle it, so they mix it with white rice at first, and slowly up thier portion of brown rice.

--------------------
-Sheri

#128401 - 12/07/04 10:40 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Hi Sheri,
Thanks for the info. I guess that's what I was really wondering...could brown rice be used as a base? I've had it twice so far as my base & have had only minor rumbling in my gut so I'm going to try & stick with it for a while. I'm IBS-C so I find that if I eat too much white rice, I get major constipation! Finding the right combination of foods is proving to be very difficult for me!
thanks again

#128402 - 12/07/04 10:40 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Belinda is correct in that brown rice is an insoluble fiber.

However, it can be incorperated carefully into a meal full of soluble fiber (or take your soluble fiber suppliments before). It should not be eatten by itself or with other insoluble fiber foods.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 185 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1555

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review