All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My ADB's were a disaster!!
      #127942 - 12/05/04 10:31 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

This was the first time I tried to make them, and admittedly I am a horrible chef ... but I don't know what went wrong! It didn't taste very chocolatey at all ... just, wrong. It also came out more like a cake than brownies ...

Is it possible for the cocoa to be bad? I don't really know how old it was. Or the vanilla or baking soda? I know the eggs and flour and sugar were all fresh ... How much are they supposed to taste like real brownies? I just don't know what I did wrong ...

Oh, and how do you melt marshmallows? Mine wound up looking like hemmeroids on top of the brownies! Can you use the marshmallow cream instead?

Thanks for all your help guys ... this is why I don't mind eating rice and plain foods all the time - my own cooking is SO BAD!!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My ADB's were a disaster!! new
      #127945 - 12/06/04 01:12 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Hey amber,
The ADB'S are heaven, so dont be put off making them again. The first time I made brownies from a safe recipe they went hidiously wrong aswell! Then I found the ADB recipe....the thing you have to watch is that you dont over bake them....they dont want to be dry! Also I posted a week or so ago about how I added one cup of melted marshmallows into the mixture before I baked them and stirred it all in well. That made them turn our really chocolate fudge like...the bottom practically set like a fudge. Also a big tip is to put them in the coldest part of the fridge...I never eat them straight from the oven....always the day after and they keep for ages....once theyre cold they seem to set much more brownie like! When I first made them everyone liked them but I think they did think they tasted a bit cake like. The next day, after they'd been in the fridge, my mum became addicted and wondered what Id done to make them taste so different...so thats how I discovered my trick! Hope that helps a bit....and dont give up...theyre worth it!!

--------------------
Natalie

#127947 - 12/06/04 01:34 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I didn't melt the marshmellows enought eh first time iether... just nuke 30 seconds, stir and then add 10 seconds until you are stirring liquid... as to the other- are you sure it was cocoa? and that the baking (powder/soda- forget which this one calls for) was fresh? also- doing things the way it says with the boiling water made a huge difference in mine.. though I think next time I'm going to add the marshmellows in witht he boiling water...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Don't give up.. try again... heres' some advice for an ADB addict new
      #127954 - 12/06/04 04:06 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

First of all use egg beater. It makes a difference. I bake mine as cup cakes for about 20 minutes and then check on them. Don't over bake them. After 20 minutes poke a toothpick in to see if it's ready. Now here's where the chocohaulic in me got creative... I place one (that's right only one) non dairy chocolate chip on the top of each cup cake as soon as they come out of the oven. Ten minutes later when the chips are melty, I spread them around the top. Then place the brownies in the freezer and leave them there untill you are ready to eat them. They are already portion sized so you can even wrap them up to go. Enjoy. Good luck.

#127956 - 12/06/04 04:22 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Don't feel bad.. I'm actually a good cook.. and every time I make the ADB's the resemble chocolate cardboard.

--------------------

Not giving up! new
      #128196 - 12/06/04 07:47 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Thank you everyone, for your help! I'm going to try them again sometime this week ... and there is a lot that I will try differently! I probably did overbake them - usually when there is a minimum time for something, I'll set the timer and forget about them 'til it goes off. And I think maybe I waited too long between putting the boiling water in and adding the eggs and such. I'll have to prepare better next time.

I'm going to head to the store and pick up some new cocoa and baking soda. I really hope they work 'cause I'm SOOOO craving brownies!

Again, thanks everyone for your advice! I'm definately going to put it all to good use!

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Good! new
      #128220 - 12/06/04 08:40 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

And good luck! I have had problems making them, too, and Tina (Sara Sage) has said that she did, too.
You can do it! I almost gave up on my pumpkin cake, and it is good I didn't, the next two times it came out PERFECT!

--------------------
-Sheri

#128323 - 12/07/04 08:48 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Another thing you could try, though it's not ADBs, is to see if your grocery store or HFS carries No Pudge brownie mix. I make it with applesauce and vanilla extract instead of yogurt and they're so moist and it's so easy!

But good luck trying the ADBs again!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Good good, let us know how the 2nd batch turn out! n/t new
      #128387 - 12/07/04 10:18 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

--------------------
Natalie

I could never master the ADBs either! new
      #128389 - 12/07/04 10:22 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I had the same results whenever I made them. I've been trying to make them again, but I hate wasting the time and energy for something that might not turn out yummy. (I'm lazy like that!)

Good luck if you try them again and let us know what happens!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#128398 - 12/07/04 10:37 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

Hi,
I'm a horrible cook too so I know where you're coming from. I've made these twice so far & I think you just have to realize that they don't taste like regular fudge brownies. Mine were very cake like but after one or two of them, I really started liking the way they taste! Not all heavy like most brownies. I also made sure to stir every thing really well after i added each ingredient. My DH doesn't like them much but now, I love them. Keep at it...they're worth the effort

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2567

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review