All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to this board.............
      #126853 - 12/02/04 12:16 AM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

Dear Hearts;
I'm a 30 year old guy in NYC that was suffering so bad from IBS I actually had to quit school where I was a double major in mathematics and biochemistry.U was crippled with IBS when I was about to finally enter graduate school after many delays.I was suffering so bad from spasms and had given up all hope until I found Heather's site and related sites and took control of my illness.This diet is killing me and I'm scared to death of graduate school without coffee-but now it looks like I'll at least HAVE a future.It's helped me get it under control,but living with it is SO hard.I'd KILL for a steak and a cup of coffee without pain for one day.Breaks my heart.Anyway,I have 2 questions:1)my brother is bringing home fresh venison from his hunt.Can I HAVE that?Teachnically it's red meat and a no no,I know.But venison is so low in fat!2)Also,I was just wondering,although this IS the recipe board and may not be the place for it-do any of u find that you get severe IBS attacks late at night regardless of how good you felt in the daytime and if you're sticking to the diet?Anyway,I wanted to commend you all on your creativity and passion-with a board like this filled with wonderful cooking ideas,it makes living with this bearable at least.
Sincerely,
Andrew L.

Edited by Andrew L (12/02/04 12:17 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Andrew! new
      #126855 - 12/02/04 12:31 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You're right... this would probably be better over on the "diet" board... not that it matters *too* much, but that board gets a lot more traffic than the recipe one, and so your question about night attacks would likely get more responses. But that's ok - you'll get the hang of the boards quick enough. Welcome, by the way! Always nice to have new people on board, even if we all wish everyone could just NOT have IBS!

Venison is technically a no-no... there's more to red meat than just the fat content, it's harder to digest over all. That said, I sneak a little from time to time *ahem* and I find I'm ok with it. Just try a little bit, if you do decide to try it, don't go overboard - and make sure it's cooked without much oil or fat.

As for the night attacks, well, I can't help you there - I've never had those. But I'm sure someone else will come along who's had that experience, and might be able to offer some suggestions - that's the beauty of this place - between the lot of us, we've experienced just about everything at one time or another. LOL!

Anyway, welcome again!

Re: New to this board............. new
      #126871 - 12/02/04 03:56 AM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

Andrew,
Welcome to the board and our IBS home. I think once you get on track you will do better, we all have our days but getting stable is easy with the guidelines and help from here. I HIGHLY recommend you get your hands on Heather's book IBS the first year. Besides my Bible this is the second most looked at book. I have her other one too, which has tons of good recipes. Use all that is available to you. Hang in there your NOT alone.
shirl

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

Re: Hi Andrew! new
      #127097 - 12/02/04 02:24 PM
Andrew L

Reged: 10/16/04

Dear Rose;
I just miss red meat SO much I cry sometimes watching normal people eat it.I'm gonna try a good meal of venison-I have other friends with IBS and it doesn't bother them like beef or pork unless they're in very bad shape.If I CAN eat it,it will open a door for me-so I HAVE to try it and consequences be damned.This diet has been SO hard for me-it's actually put me into a state of depression,honestly.Ok,I promise-nothing but recipe questions from now on on this board.I'll save my whining for the other board.I've actually been formulating some IBS recipes of my own and hope to share them as soon as I have them perfected.Take care!
Andrew

Re: New to this board............. new
      #127149 - 12/02/04 06:14 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi Andrew, I'm sorry you've been having such a tough time! I think everyone here can commiserate with you. I know it's really tough to stick to the diet sometimes, but as someone who's been on it for a couple of years now, believe me, it's SO worth it. As for the coffee, have you tried SOY coffee?? I used to be a huge coffee-holic and it's been a godsend for me. You can check out two different brands: Rocamojo and Soyfee.

As for your feeling worse at night, I'm definitely the same way. Nighttime is always my worst time. I can eat something that I was perfectly fine with during the day and it can still bother me. I've just learned to be extremely careful with everything I eat at night, and I make sure I never have dinner too late at night.

I hope you continue to improve, and feel free to ask us any more questions you have. Good luck!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1777

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review