All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
homemade ice 'cream'
      #125262 - 11/24/04 02:19 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was wondering if anyone makes homemade non dairy ice cream? or what about Silk nog ice cream? It just seems like a good idea to try to make homemade ice cream with soy or rice milk. I don't have an ice cream maker, but if someone said homemade safe ice cream was good I might buy one! (I'd make sorbet too of course)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: homemade ice 'cream' new
      #125266 - 11/24/04 02:25 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know Amie (khyricat) makes ice cream out of (I think!) the chocolate pudding recipe in Eating for IBS.... I could be wrong on the recipe, but I know she's made her own ice cream somehow. Hopefully she'll see this and drop in her 2 cents! I've been thinking about an ice cream maker too, if I ever get to a point where I can eat cold things again... Silk Nog ice cream would be so good!

#125301 - 11/24/04 03:59 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I make Heathers chocolate silk pudding recipe int eh ice cream maker all the time- YUM! I also use the ice milk recipe I've always used for vanilla dn strawberry but using rice milk in them instead (soy works too, and its actually safe for carb counting diabetics! but I find I prefer the taste wiht rice milk, and we have several soy allergic friends.. so its safer if I make it that way unless its for the diabetics!)

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#125640 - 11/27/04 10:40 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Yes, I love making soy ice creams, sorbets, etc. in my ice cream maker! I think the ice cream maker was a fantastic investment. I've never tried making anything using Silk Nog, but that's an AWESOME idea! I bet that would be so yummy. Here are some recipes I have tried and really enjoyed:

Rhubarb Sorbet
Banana-Strawberry Tofu Sherbet
Vanilla Soy Ice Cream

It seems like you can take pretty much any ice cream recipe and sub soy milk for the milk or cream and Egg Beaters for the eggs. They just come out with a slightly lighter consistency than they would with heavy cream.

I would also HIGHLY recommend Heather's peppermint ice dream recipes from EFI. I didn't bother with the cookie part... the ice cream itself was just fantastic.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#125733 - 11/28/04 05:59 AM
Little Minnie

uh oh now I have to buy an ice cream maker!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#125736 - 11/28/04 06:07 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I love ours- have to always make a ton of ice to use it but only cost 15$ and no storing a cylinder int he freezer.. and by buying a bag of ice and washing the center we can make 2 batches in rapid succession.. actually did 3 once.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Cool! (pun intended)- nt new
      #125798 - 11/28/04 11:07 AM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 280 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1424

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review