Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
random question about woks
      #124386 - 11/21/04 02:53 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hi ya'll....

I have a wok and I love it! I cook with it all the time.. except there is one problem..

it keeps rusting.. everytime I wash it.. it gets all rusty.. The rust usually washes off.. but is there any way to prohibit this from happening.. cause it kinda freaks me out.. (the whole thought about eating from a rusty wok)

help would be appreciated!
Thanks

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: random question about woks new
      #124402 - 11/21/04 03:21 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Ok, this is what my cookbook says: New woks, apart from those with a nonstick lining, must be seasoned. May need to be scrubbed first with a nonabrasive cleanser to remove the manufacturer's protective coating of oil. Once the oil has been removed, place the wok over low heat and add about 2 Tbsp. veg. oil. Rub oil over the inside surface with a pad of paper towels. Heat wok slowly for 10 min. Then wipe off oil with more towels. The paper will be black. Repeat til paper towels come out clean when wiping the wok. Once the wok is seasoned, it should not be scrubbed again. After using, just wash in hot water and wipe it dry. My son uses one all of the time and loves his, but it looks kinda grungy, just because it gets discolored.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

#124436 - 11/21/04 04:43 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

is this still ok to do even after i've already used it many times?

I did try this at first.. but apparently I didn't do it well enough

--------------------

#124485 - 11/21/04 08:21 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Yup, just like Marjo said, you need to season the wok to prevent it from rusting -- and you need to do it each and every time you cook, at least until "it develops a beautiful, black patina and food no longer sticks to the surface during cooking." (wok care) And never, ever use soap on it! That will ruin the seasoning, and you will have to scrub the beautiful layer that you've worked so hard to build up. This is the same process that you would use for a cast-iron skillet.

My friend who has a wok uses a special cleaning brush, that he keeps separate and uses only for the wok so he knows that soap never comes into contact with it.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#124520 - 11/22/04 04:17 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks i'll try it.. i just think it sounds a lil unsantitary.. but if ya'll say so!

--------------------

#124559 - 11/22/04 07:20 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have cast iron, stoneware and a wok- I use salt and a brush to get off hard gunk, or a scraper... and I scrub well with a dobie scrubber I have set aside to use for the items as well.. and use boiling water on them... no soap, never had any sanitation issues... especialy when the last rinse is always boiling... yummy and well seasoned all of them...

Good luck

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1493

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review