All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Has anyone got a safe biscuit recipe?
      #123564 - 11/19/04 07:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I like making cinnamon biscuits to hang on my Christmas tree, but the old recipe I used (now long-lost) used butter! Any ideas, anyone??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Cookies not biscuits! new
      #123565 - 11/19/04 07:33 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

did you see ShellMarrs ginger biscotti recipe they sound yum?
Biscuits in American are savoury things eaten with dinner I think, kinda like dumplings, you eat them with gravy.

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Cinnamon Dough Ornaments (not to be eaten) new
      #123634 - 11/19/04 09:21 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Cinnamon Dough Ornaments

A richly scented ornamental cookie. These would be fabulous decorating a Christmas tree, but don't try to eat them!

1 cup ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons white glue
3/4 to 1 cup water

Mix cinnamon and glue. Gradually add the water. Stir until a ball of dough forms. Roll out with rolling pin 1/4 inch thick and cut with cookie cutters. Poke a hole and let dry at room temperature for 1 to 2 days, turning over every 6-8 hours. Hang with ribbon and enjoy the fragrance!

web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

I've made these in the past. They make the house smell great-nt- new
      #123852 - 11/19/04 11:41 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

--------------------

Re: I've made these in the past. They make the house smell great new
      #123855 - 11/19/04 11:53 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I've made these in the past. They make the house smell great

I bought the cinnamon & glue today!! LOL But then when I got home I realized I don't have any christmas cookie cutters I'm going to a Christmas craft show in the morning so maybe I will find one there. I want to make them for Mom, Dad, & Sister to give to them at Thanksgiving so they can USE THEM for THIS season!!

--------------------

Re: Cinnamon Dough Ornaments new
      #123876 - 11/20/04 04:26 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

my recipe for these is edible but doesn't taste good!

applesauce and cinnamon... strain the sauce in a cheesecloth or towel ovenight, it should reduce drastically... pour out liquid from underneath.

mix remaining liquid with cinnamon until it forms a stiff dough- if i recall if you start with 1 cup applesauce you add 1.5 cups cinnamn, but work it in slowly till you have a good consistancy...

then roll, and cut... after which a) use the food dehydrator or b) bake on low heat until mostly firm, rotating after an hour (typically takes 2-3 hours)

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Has anyone got a safe biscuit recipe? new
      #123877 - 11/20/04 04:28 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

if your talking cinnamon rolls.. you could try adding sugar and cinnamon to my monticello biscuits recipe I posted here awhile back... basically any rising dough with some sugar added for sweetness to it should work!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Ooops! new
      #123882 - 11/20/04 04:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Thanks Sinead! I'll do a search for the biscotti recipe!

LOL! new
      #123885 - 11/20/04 05:23 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes I thought biscuits at first when reading that post even though I saw it was Linz. It is just a first reaction. But the second thought was 'of course she means cookies'. After going to the UK last year my hub and I incorporated some English phrases sporatically in our lingo. We say biscuits if we are talking about fat, heavy cookies and we call this one sweater of mine a jumper and we says scones the right way. LOL

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Cinnamon Dough Ornaments #2 (not to be eaten) new
      #123895 - 11/20/04 06:42 AM
Shell Marr

Oh, this one looks MUCH easier!!

CINNAMON-DOUGH ORNAMENTS #2

6 tablespoons applesauce
10 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves

MIX applesauce, cinnamon, and cloves until smooth and claylike. Sprinkle cinnamon on your tabletop and rolling pin, and roll the dough to about 1/8-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters or a small knife to cut out your shapes. With a small skewer make holes for hanging ribbons and draw details on the shapes. Place cutouts on a cookie sheet and put in a 120 degrees F oven. After 1-1/2 hours turn the oven off but leave the ornaments in overnight to dry. Store in an airtight jar until ready to use. Decorate with ribbons and hang on the Christmas tree or tie them to holiday gifts. Makes about 20 fragrant ornaments.
web page

--------------------

Scones Poll! new
      #123896 - 11/20/04 06:47 AM
cailin

LM that is so funny I was going to post yesterday asking people how they pronounce "scones" as BF and I were talking about them - me and him say it differently, I think Irish people say it different than UK people- I say
"Skow-n" (which rhymes with known)

I also say a lot of things American since spending so much time on the boards- I say "I guess" instead of "I suppose" for example and I definitely type in American- store instead of shop etc..

So I decided to do a poll (pole!)

SCONES- how do you pronounce it
SKOW-NS (rhymes with snow)
SCONS (rhymes with Fonz!)
Neither (please post how you say it!)

View the results for this poll

Please play!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

I'm with you... my vote has been submitted. -nt- new
      #123897 - 11/20/04 06:51 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Cinnamon Dough Ornaments #2 (not to be eaten) new
      #123930 - 11/20/04 08:23 AM
Kandee

This looks more like the one I used since I remember it having cloves in it....but come to think of it, it may have had both applesauce and glue...maybe not. If I can find it I'll post. My Xmas stuff is scattered right now.

I think you'll be happier with this one too, and it IS safer to eat if a little kid got a hold of it.

--------------------

Re: I've made these in the past. They make the house smell great new
      #123933 - 11/20/04 08:26 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Quote:

I've made these in the past. They make the house smell great

I bought the cinnamon & glue today!! LOL But then when I got home I realized I don't have any christmas cookie cutters I'm going to a Christmas craft show in the morning so maybe I will find one there. I want to make them for Mom, Dad, & Sister to give to them at Thanksgiving so they can USE THEM for THIS season!! Awww, that's so nice. Just thought...what cute place cards at the table too. You can take your ornament place card home with you.

--------------------

Haha...can u imagine 'skown' in a scouse accent! new
      #123962 - 11/20/04 09:52 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Lol...thats so funny sinead...I knew straight away that I say SCON instead of SKOWN...i am a liverpudlian...can u imagine a scouser saying SKOWN?? Come to think about it, thats what the wannabe posh scousers say...its like Hyacynth Bucket gone wrong...lol...

--------------------
Natalie

SCON/SKOWN debate new
      #123966 - 11/20/04 09:57 AM
cailin

but over here the posh people call them SCONS! And us commoners with broad vowels call them SKOWNS!
Very confusing this English language!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

Cinnamon Dough Ornaments #2 - IN THE OVEN NOW! new
      #124149 - 11/20/04 05:17 PM
Shell Marr

Here they are going into the oven.... it already smells so good.... my hands do too!!

Quote:

Oh, this one looks MUCH easier!!

CINNAMON-DOUGH ORNAMENTS #2

6 tablespoons applesauce
10 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves

MIX applesauce, cinnamon, and cloves until smooth and claylike. Sprinkle cinnamon on your tabletop and rolling pin, and roll the dough to about 1/8-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters or a small knife to cut out your shapes. With a small skewer make holes for hanging ribbons and draw details on the shapes. Place cutouts on a cookie sheet and put in a 120 degrees F oven. After 1-1/2 hours turn the oven off but leave the ornaments in overnight to dry. Store in an airtight jar until ready to use. Decorate with ribbons and hang on the Christmas tree or tie them to holiday gifts. Makes about 20 fragrant ornaments.
web page

--------------------

Dough Ornaments #3 & #4 new
      #124256 - 11/21/04 10:11 AM
Shell Marr

Dough #2 DID NOT WORK (I was able to save 2 out of 9 that is only made....so don't waist your time on #2)

I'm going to make #4 tonight or Tomorrow.

Baked Dough Ornaments #3

This recipe, which cannot be halved or doubled, makes 30 small inedible ornaments.

To make these ornaments, you will need the following ingredients:
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water (or more as needed)

Mix the flour and the salt. Make a hole in the center of the mixture and pour in the water. Mix thoroughly, adding more water if necessary (dough should be smooth, not crumbly nor sticky). Form into balls and store in plastic bags to prevent drying out.

On a surface covered with waxed paper, roll out one ball at a time to a half inch thickness. Cut out the shapes. (We used cookie cutters.) You can reuse the scraps by kneading and rolling back into balls. Use a toothpick or straw to make a hole in the top of each ornament. (You can use copper wire or ribbon to hang your ornament.)

Bake the ornaments at 350 F for 45 minutes to 90 minutes or until pin inserted in dough comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.

Use a small brush to paint details. (We even used markers to color the ornaments.) Allow the paint to dry and brush on two or three coats of polyurethane or varnish for a protective finish.

These make great gifts for grandparents and friends!

Scented Cinnamon Ornaments #4

I received this recipe from a friend about ten years ago. It makes 32 two-inch wonderful smelling inedible ornaments.

1 four-ounce can (approximately 1 cup) of cinnamon
1 Tbsp cloves
1 Tbsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp. white glue

In a medium bowl, combine cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Add applesauce and glue, stirring to combine. Work mixture with hands 2-3 minutes or until dough is smooth and ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Divide into 4 portions. On lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut dough with floured cookie cutters. (Make holes in the top if you want to use them as ornaments.) Place cut outs on wire racks and allow to dry at room temperature for several days. (For a more uniform drying process, turn ornaments over once each day.)

--------------------

Re: Dough Ornaments #3 & #4 new
      #124292 - 11/21/04 11:48 AM
Shell Marr

OK, this one only made 10 but they were MUCH easier!! They are drying now.... will report as they dry to let ya know how they turn out.

Quote:

Dough #2 DID NOT WORK (I was able to save 2 out of 9 that is only made....so don't waist your time on #2)

I'm going to make #4 tonight or Tomorrow.

Scented Cinnamon Ornaments #4

I received this recipe from a friend about ten years ago. It makes 32 two-inch wonderful smelling inedible ornaments.

1 Tbsp cloves
1 Tbsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp. white glue

In a medium bowl, combine cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Add applesauce and glue, stirring to combine. Work mixture with hands 2-3 minutes or until dough is smooth and ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Divide into 4 portions. On lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut dough with floured cookie cutters. (Make holes in the top if you want to use them as ornaments.) Place cut outs on wire racks and allow to dry at room temperature for several days. (For a more uniform drying process, turn ornaments over once each day.)

--------------------

Shell, how did they turn out? -nt- new
      #124810 - 11/23/04 06:46 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Re: Shell, how did they turn out? new
      #124813 - 11/23/04 07:00 AM
Shell Marr

YES!! I was able to get 10 Gingerbread Men out of it..... I decorated them last night and will post a pic tonight after I get home from the gym. They turned out REALLY good and only took 24 hours to dry.

--------------------

Re: SCON/SKOWN debate new
      #124960 - 11/23/04 01:33 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was just going to say that everyone in the US says scones- rhyme with bones. But if I think of it I try to be proper and say scuns- rhyme with buns- like English people do. However I don't eat either scones or scuns anymore anyway!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Scented Cinnamon Ornaments - From The Kitchen Of Shell & Shane Marr new
      #125068 - 11/23/04 08:49 PM
Shell Marr

FROM THE KITCHEN OF SHELL & SHANE MARR

Scented Cinnamon Ornaments

It makes 32 two-inch or 10 four-inch wonderful smelling inedible ornaments.

1 Tbsp cloves
1 Tbsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp. white glue

In a medium bowl, combine cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Add applesauce and glue, stirring to combine. Work mixture with hands 2-3 minutes or until dough is smooth and ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Divide into 4 portions. On lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut dough with floured cookie cutters. (Make holes in the top if you want to use them as ornaments.) Place cut outs on wire racks and allow them to dry at room temperature for several days. (For a more uniform drying process, turn ornaments over once each day.) Decorate if you wish with ribbon to hang and glue on small beads found in your local craft store.

--------------------

Re: Scented Cinnamon Ornaments - From The Kitchen Of Shell & Shane Marr new
      #125090 - 11/24/04 03:27 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

They look wonderful! Do they smell just as good? Thanks for sharing, I think I may make some for a craft sale this saturday (if I have time to let them dry)....

Shell, that looks SO cute!! -nt- new
      #125128 - 11/24/04 06:34 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Scented Cinnamon Ornaments - From The Kitchen Of Shell & Shane Marr new
      #125190 - 11/24/04 09:23 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

They look wonderful! Do they smell just as good? Thanks for sharing, I think I may make some for a craft sale this saturday (if I have time to let them dry)....

Yes, they smell really good!!

--------------------

Re: Shell, that looks SO cute!! THANKS KREE -nt- new
      #125191 - 11/24/04 09:24 AM
Shell Marr

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 286 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10024

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review